Good Books on IrTrad?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

(Inspired by DrRichard.) I am trying to find the following book right now (it's not that easy here):

Tomas O Canainn, Traditional Music in Ireland.

I have read Last Night's Fun by Ciaran Carson (which is a discussion not only of Irish music, but also of Irish breakfast and a few other things beyond that).

So far my curiosity is far from stilled. Any other suggestions, tips, or mini-reviews of books on IrTrad?

Thanks.
/Bloomfield
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Bloomfield, are you looking for 'history of' type books or something else? I haven't been following the other thread so I'm not sure what was discussed exactly...

Andrea ~*~
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

I found the o'Canainn book at Celtic Trader:
http://www.celtictrader.com/fr_book.htm

Click on the 'general' category, and it is at the bottom of the page that comes up.

Hope that might help,
Andrea ~*~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-03-04 12:27 ]</font>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

History is an important part of what I'd like to know, certainly. I am also interested in the people who play and have played IrTrad and have influenced it. I would like to know more about the types of tunes and the individual tunes, how they originated and become part of the tradition. I want some theory, too: about the scales, rhythms and harmonies of IrTrad. A bit about instrumentation and the acceptance of instruments into the tradition. Then there are probably lots of things I need to find out to understand the music that I am not even aware of yet. But there is some hope: One thing I don't need is a Joanie Madden discography. :wink:
/Bloomfield
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

You should be able to get the O Cannain book through http://www.ossianusa.com/.

It's good reading - the chapter on the structure of Irish traditional music is worth the price of the book. The author is definitely following in O Riada's somewhat academic footsteps, but no harm in that.

Also listed by Ossian are:

* Notes from the Heart by PJ Curtis, which is written in fanzine style. I found it very fluffy and insubstantial. I'm not sure I finished it, although I liked the chapter on Tommy Peoples, I seem to recall. Borrow this rather than buy it.

* Between the jigs and the reels by Caomhin McAoidh (spelling?). This is all about fiddling in Donegal, and of considerable interest if you like that branch of the tradition, but otherwise somewhat esoteric.

There's a big biographical encyclopedia thing that came out compiled by Fintan Vallely, I haven't read it. It's supposed to be great (even if he failed to include an entry on Packie Manus Byrne, an oversight which their mutual friend John Moulden has apparently berated FV for).

I must get around to reading Ciaran Carson's effort. Remember the passage in praise of "cigarettes" and the description of a session with David Papazian? I was there, in fact I arranged that session for him. A few of us have a rather different recollection of the evening...
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-03-04 12:34, StevieJ wrote:

I must get around to reading Ciaran Carson's effort. Remember the passage in praise of "cigarettes" and the description of a session with David Papazian? I was there, in fact I arranged that session for him. A few of us have a rather different recollection of the evening...
No, I don't remember that passage. I've been meaning to re-read it anyway. The book struck me as putting a bit of emphasis on the craft of telling (which is no suprise since the author is poet also), which might lead to "different recollections." Here is a great advantage that historians have: No eye-witnesses. Very cool that you were there.

That Fintan Vallely thing, is that called Encyclopedia of Irish Traditional Music, or something similar? I seem to recall Dale mentioning it on C&F.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-03-04 12:44 ]</font>
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

A great fun, quick, and thought provoking read is:

A Pocket History of Irish Traditional Music
Gearoid O hAllmhurain

I picked up an autographed copy in East Durham in 1999 from Gearoid. He is a great lecturer, as well.

The Companion to Irish Traditional Music
Fintan Vallely (Editor)

Thick and fantastic book filled with short articles on everything in the tradition. The discography is about as comprehensive as I have ever seen. It covers many artists, genre, instruments, bands,. . .well everything. My only disappointment with it is that they are not comming out with supplements every year or so they can add to the biography informaiton about so many of the performers.

Irish Minstrels and Musicians
by Francis O'Neill.

Thick Old book that covers lots of real OLD time musicians. I do not know the original publishing date, although I think it was between 1900 and 1920. Not as easily engrosing as the others, but the content is priceless.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-03-04 12:43, Bloomfield wrote:

That Fintan Vallely thing, is that called Encyclopedia of Irish Traditional Music, or something similar? I seem to recall Dale mentioning it on C&F.
It's the 'Companion' of Irish Traditional Music.

I stock it, and most of the others mentioned here.

Steve
Stan

Post by Stan »

I purchased "A Pocket History of Irish
Traditional Music" and "Last Night's Fun"
http://www.irishbook.com

Nice people....fast service.

Stan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Folk music and dances of Ireland/ Breandan Breahnach

Crossbheallaigh an Cheoil : the crossroads conference 1996 : tradition and change in Irish music / ed fintan Vallely, Hammy Hamilton eithne Vallely & Liz Doherty

The man and his music Breandan Breathnach
griff

Post by griff »

Has anyone mentioned "The Heartbeat of Irish Music" by Peter Woods? It is a great fictional account of several generations of Irish musicians. I think it is based on actual events, but woven into the lives of one family. It really captures the feeling of Irish music and how it is the tie that brings all parts of Irish life together. The book is illustrated with great photos of Irish musicians and locations. The book is filed in my local library under non-fiction. I assume that it is because it is so real that they thought it was true, or because it is so informative about the music style that they thought it would help there. Either way, the book is very informative.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: griff on 2002-03-04 14:30 ]</font>
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I just finished Heartbeat. Excellent read, found it on the bargain tables at Barnes and Noble for $6. Would have been worth it at $60
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I just got the "Tomas O Canainn, Traditional Music in Ireland" book through Inter-Library Loan. My copy came from the Notre Dame University Library, but I'm sure there are others around. Try requesting it at your local Public Library.

-Brett
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Not deep, but defiantely interesting is "Ireland by Bicycle and Tin Whistle" by ... uh... can't seem to locate it at the moment.

Continuing in the rut of not quite having it all, I remember seeing a book in Ireland about Irish musicians that are women. Mary Bergin was in there but not Joanie... Don't know the name of the book, but have regretted not getting it.
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Check this out from amazon.com:

Folk Music and Dances of Ireland : A Comprehensive Study Examining the Basic Elements of Irish Folk Music and Dance Traditions
by Breandan Breathnach (Paperback)
Avg. Customer Rating:
Usually ships in 24 hours
Editions: Paperback | | more...

List Price: $14.95
Our Price: $14.95