Fees for Playing Weddings, Funerals, etc.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
travhicks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Fees for Playing Weddings, Funerals, etc.

Post by travhicks »

For those of you who are playing a lot of weddings, funerals, parties, gigs, etc., what are you charging these days? And what is your reasoning for charging what you do? The reason I ask is because I've now played a few paying gigs, and I'd like to be fair in what I charge. Thanks.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Hey Travis,

What tunes have you been playing at these events?
travhicks

Weddings, Funerals

Post by travhicks »

Weddings: Various Waltzes (processional), Various Marches (recessional), Wendel's Wedding, if asked to do a solo in the middle of the wedding (the Tony Cuffe tune - hear Jerry O'Sullivan's whistle version on one of his CDs - The Gift?)

Funerals: Amazing Grace, O Danny Boy. I've played only one funeral, though. If I were to do more, I would think about Poor Wayfaring Stranger, Be Thou My Vision, and others.

How 'bout yourself? What are you playing?
anima

Post by anima »

never played either, just curious as to what sounded good and appropriate on the pipes for these occassions.

jeff
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Travis,

I have sung songs/hymns at weddings & funerals and I usually charge about $150. Takes me a rehearsal and the actual event and I figure I'll make about $60/hour. To me, if I have to break up a weekend, at least it makes it worthwhile. Occassionally I will play an additional piece on the pipes - usually at no extra cost, but my organist/music director says I shouldn't give it away. I should really be charging an extra fee - probably another $60 for the effort.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Our band plays a variety of O'Carolan tunes, and other slowed-down tunes for the Processional. We envite the couple over to listen in advance to pick which tunes they'd like, and which tunes will be played for which part of the ceremony. Our last two weddings, both couples have picked "The Pleasures of Hope" for their Recessional during the bride and groom's exit. It's a bouncy little HP, and quite happy sounding. That would be followed by other dance tunes including reels, jigs and HP. For the Wedding March (the bride coming in), we often refer another musician for that unless the couple really wants a particular tune we're comfortable learning. Most brides have some favorite song or tune they're stuck on, and have been all their life.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The last time I played the pipes for a wedding I charged $200.00 firm, and $100.00 an hour after the first hour. This was back in 1993, so Things may have changed. I stopped playing weddings and funerals because they depressed me. :D
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Funerals: Local one stops at the funeral home, church or cemetery $150
Each additional stop gets another $25
Longer distances add another$25
Weddings: These depress me more than funerals, so the starting price is $200. Each additional stop is another $25. No rehearsals. That's another gig.
I rarely charge more than $200, unless the mother of the bride is a real nudge. :wink:
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
travhicks

Fees

Post by travhicks »

Thanks. Your feedback is what I was looking for. I've been asking between $100 and $150 for these kinds of gigs, and I use some of the same reasoning as you guys in determining exactly how much to ask.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

When you play at the funeral, is there a certain standard way you do it or is it always different? Do you play as a central figure (people aren't doing anything except listening to you) or are you background (while they do different things)? Do you ever play at another funereal gathering (like a wake?)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
eskin

Post by eskin »

Just played a wedding this weekend, just me and a fiddler. We charged $400.00 for music preceeding the ceremony while guests were entering, all the music during the ceremony, and about an hour of music outside during a short champagne reception outside the chapel.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

i always check the social register first. the guy who works at mc donalds pays mc donaldland fees. doctors and lawyers pay doctor and lawyer fees. fair is fair.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

oleorezinator wrote:i always check the social register first. the guy who works at mc donalds pays mc donaldland fees. doctors and lawyers pay doctor and lawyer fees. fair is fair.
I always thought guys who work at McDonalds hire hip-hop DJ's
Say it ain't so...
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Tony wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:i always check the social register first. the guy who works at mc donalds pays mc donaldland fees. doctors and lawyers pay doctor and lawyer fees. fair is fair.
I always thought guys who work at McDonalds hire hip-hop DJ's
Say it ain't so...
word.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa