Random thought how many tunes do people know by heart?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Note i have edited thist to reflect the poll as the original question was a little off subject to the poll. it was

how many songs does the ( AVERAGE PERFORMER) know
how many does the (Casual player) know
when brought to my attention that is sketchy
Last edited by irishduffy on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lonewhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lonewhistler »

...Just started playing the tin whistle a month ago, so far, I've committed about 7 tunes to memory(?). Havn't played out in public yet, there's really not too much Irish Trad going on here in Flagstaff. Besides, I'd probably wait until I have at least 15-20 tunes memorized before heading out to a session. That way, I'd have many tunes ranging from airs to reels memorized, variety is what I like best...
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

thats not to bad for such a short time. I have only about 15 or so that you could wake me out of a deep sleep and i could just play. my problem was when i first started the whistle i came from a traditional music background(sheet music and sight reading). so i never stressed to learn music by heart untill just a while ago.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Being ADD, it often depends on just how the day is going, and then there is the consideration of whether it is my fingers that remember or my concious mind... (that can't spell :D )... frequently I'm backpedalling with one while the other tries desparately to catch up. When things are good, I can flow them out pretty well, and recognize them when I hear them... when not... well... let's say I play the bass a lot. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Please define "casual player" and "average player" as well. What's the standard here?

Most average players probably can't remember everything they know.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bill Reeder wrote:Please define "casual player" and "average player" as well. What's the standard here?

Most average players probably can't remember everything they know.
Yes, I wondered about that, too. I agree with your point about average players.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

sorry about that being sketchy could not really put in words what i wanted. :-?

( AVERAGE PERFORMERS) i was going for those that play a few pub gigs or the likes of that a month

(Casual players) a person who plays for his/her self less regard towards performing for others

still kind of sketchy sorry, but if you have a better way to define it i'll edit my post :)
jen f

Post by jen f »

lonewhistler wrote:Besides, I'd probably wait until I have at least 15-20 tunes memorized before heading out to a session. That way, I'd have many tunes ranging from airs to reels memorized, variety is what I like best...
For me, going to a session was what got me started memorizing a lot of tunes. Each time I went, I would try to remember the names of three or four tunes that were played that night, then I would go home and learn them for the next session. Now, after less than a year, I probably know about 2/3 of the tunes that are played regularly. (Now whether I can play them as FAST as everyone else does is a different story!)
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Remember, though, that having a tune committed to memory does not necessarily mean you can play it flawlessly or at speed. It may just mean that you're more acutely aware of your flubs.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'd submit that if you only know about 20 tunes, you're probably still a "beginner" and not an "average player" and thus the poll is probably not going to be very helpful once all the votes are in.

I consider myself an average player and know in the neighborhood of 170 irish tunes, and 200 total tunes.

And I still don't know half the tunes they play regularly in the Houston session at the Mucky Duck.
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

Wanderer I beg to differ I feel that is not the case all the time just because you do not know 120 tunes by heart reflects nothing on the quality of music you produce. I feel their are other things than the amount of songs a player knows that dictates whether you are a "beginner and not an average player". The reason i feel strongly about this is i have played for a few years and untill recently never began to fully memorize songs. the reason being untill recently i played for myself just out of enjoyment know I am moving into more social aspects of playing. I understand what you mean by it affecting the poll in your terms. The poll was not really even created to be acurate just a rough estimate of the users who read it.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm a casual player (although sometimes I do put on a jacket) and have 40 tunes by heart; right now I'm working on bringing those to new levels.

Happy Fourth all.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
glauber

Post by glauber »

And i'm not telling how many.

Actually, i don't know. More than lonewhistler and fewer than wanderer, is my guess.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hmmm.... I think I have somewhere between 200 and 300 tunes right now.... though I've totally lost count and quite often someone will ask me if I know a tune, to which I'll answer "I don't think so.... play it", and then it turns out I do know it. Alternately, many of the tunes I played decently in the past have been in storage a little too long and need some repair to function properly. Another nice thing is that after a while, when you've heard thousands of tunes hundreds of times over, you're not sure whether you've ever learned a tune, but you can lilt it effortlessly and somehow it finds its way into your fingers without you knowing how it ever got there.

The thing is, I really consider myself a beginner. I feel like I'm just beginning to be what Grey Larsen refers to as a "citizen player" - someone who can go to a session and play a decent portion of the tunes and add to the music, or play for dances, or.... whatever, it's tough to explain. After 7 years coming to this point I feel like I've reached the real beginning. This is where the joy and discovery truely begins for me. I'm sure seven years later I'll be saying the same thing all over again, looking back at now and laughing at myself and marvelling at how much I've learned and how much further there is to go on this endless joyful journey. As for anyone who thinks they're getting to be pretty hot stuff, go over to Ireland and hang around at the Fleadh or the Willy Clancy School and you will be truly, truly humbled by 8 years olds. I certainly was several years ago and I have no doubt that I would be just as humbled today.

Chris
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Your question really got me thinking... I have never counted. I know I have more tunes on hammer dulcimer than whistle in my memory bank...For our band's performances, many tunes are used in conjuction with other tunes or songs, and many of these shift between 2 or 3 keys...When all is said and done, I would estimate 2 hours memorized standard concert repertoire, plus about 45 minutes additional Christmas concert material.

Hmmm. Really interesting question. Three members of the band find memorizing material to be uncomfortable for them, and they will use music for some parts of the performances. The two of us who play hammer dulcimers and whistles use no music. Curious.

It is stormy in Central PA, this evening. Mixes well with the fireworks. Happy 4th of July to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979