Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Coleman?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Coleman?

Post by greenspiderweb »

This member nickname Michael Coleman listed a flute and whistle this month. It was listed as thus:
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:59 pm Post subject: price update:for sale: kerry Low D & 5 keyed blackwood f

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After much deliberation I have decided to sell my Kerry Low D (I just don't use it as much as my other flute) and my 5 keyed african blackwood flute. Both are in full working condition. The description on the flute when I got it about 2-3 years ago was the following:

This is a blackwood copy of a French Flute made in Spain for Charanga music. It does not bear a makers mark. It appears brand new except for a tiny crack which was expertly repaired, the crack is under the cork section anyway. Great sound and the keys function perfectly.

It has a very sweet sound and great response. The holes are a bit smaller than normal and the finger spread is quite forgiving. I have oiled it regularly and have been in England the last 6 months so no need to worry about humidity.

I will sell the Kerry Low D for $50 US and the flute for $500 US.

Shoot me an email if you are interested. The prices are flexible.

Last edited by michael_coleman on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

michael_coleman

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kerry Low D has been spoken for unless it falls through. And the flute has dropped $100.

I sent him the Postal Money Order for the whistle on June 9, and have not received the whistle yet. He is very lax in communication. I am thinking scam. Has anyone dealt with him before? I know the Postal Service can be utterly slow, especially if you send things the cheapest way.
But if this is a scam, he is advertising an expensive flute for sale too. If anyone can vouch for his character, I would appreciate it. Thanks,
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

You are aware you put "Michael Burdett" in the subject and "Michael Coleman" in the body of your message, right?
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

OutOfBreath wrote:You are aware you put "Michael Burdett" in the subject and "Michael Coleman" in the body of your message, right?
'Coleman' was Michael's mother's original name. He's related to the famous fiddler, hence the board name.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I sent a PM to him because he was looking for a low F, and he wrote back that he was in England at the time (a month or two ago) and would contact me when he got home. Haven't heard from him since.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
slowair

Post by slowair »

I sold him a Burke back in March 2003.

Had no problems.

Mike
DanD

Post by DanD »

I exchanged a number of emails with him concerning the flute he offered - while we didn't come to an agreement about my buying the flute, he usually replied to emails within a day or so. His communication with me was pretty good, and I didn't feel like I was being scammed. FWIW.

Hope your whistle arrives soon - keep us updated!
Without music, life would be an error. - F. Neitzche
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Burdett?

Post by greenspiderweb »

I emailed Michael yesterday saying that I didn't think he sent me a ---- thing, and he wrote back today saying that I had a lot of ill will, and assured me it was sent, and yes, the cheapest way. He said that he was a human being too. I take it he was hurt. I apologize, Michael for hurting your feelings. It may interest you to know that I am also a human being, and that what others do affects me too. Think about it.
Thanks, Chiffers for the replys. It's probably OK, but I wanted to ask about and warn of the possibility of something not good for others on the forum. May the music heal and make it alright.
~~~~
Barry
Wombat

Re: Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Burdett?

Post by Wombat »

greenspiderweb wrote:I emailed Michael yesterday saying that I didn't think he sent me a ---- thing, and he wrote back today saying that I had a lot of ill will, and assured me it was sent, and yes, the cheapest way. He said that he was a human being too. I take it he was hurt. I apologize, Michael for hurting your feelings. It may interest you to know that I am also a human being, and that what others do affects me too. Think about it.
Thanks, Chiffers for the replys. It's probably OK, but I wanted to ask about and warn of the possibility of something not good for others on the forum. May the music heal and make it alright.
Barry,
In the current climate of suspicion in the the postal services and at airports and so on, it's not at all uncommon for whistles to be held up, delayed, or even to go missing. This is especially so for things sent from one country to another. It's wise to insure for the full amount. I've experienced delays which were not in any way the fault of the sender on several occasions but things have always been sorted out in the end.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Anytime you mail anything important - certify the article at the very least.
You can also send a package with a delivery confirmation number for a very low additional cost. Ideally, something like a musical instrument would be insured. Either of these also generate a traceable number.

Any of the above will create a paper/electronic trail and items that are lost/delayed in the postal system can be traced. Most often this is caused by a machine which reads the wrong zip and sprays the wrong bar code and miss-sends the item. Eventually, a human will catch the mistake.

Don't give up on the parcel yet. I once mailed a comissioned drawing and it took over a month to get to it's destination. We were able to trace it and it was finally delivered. (the fact that I was filing paperwork for the insurance on the package might have gotten someone in gear too :twisted: ).

oh yeah,
Since 9/11 increased security has caused big changes in parcel handling. Target mail is caused by any number of things that a mailer might do or not do which can cause great delays.(something as simple as not using a return address)

At the very least, I'd ask the sender to do the following:
Be very sure the package was addressed properly. You won't believe the incorrect addresses that people use.

Go to the office that the package was mailed from, tell them it has not arrived and request a search.

If it was insured/delivery confirmation,etc. something that attached a scannable number to the parcel, then it's easy to trace the parcel.

Again, don't give up. It may have fallen behind something in a mail delivery station and will eventually be found and sent on to you.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
waitingame

Re: Anyone ever deal with this member:Michael Burdett?

Post by waitingame »

Wombat wrote:
Barry,
In the current climate of suspicion in the the postal services and at airports and so on, it's not at all uncommon for whistles to be held up, delayed, or even to go missing. This is especially so for things sent from one country to another. It's wise to insure for the full amount. I've experienced delays which were not in any way the fault of the sender on several occasions but things have always been sorted out in the end.
Spot on. I've recently bought several whistles from board members, two of which were mailed the same day from different towns in the US. I'm in the UK. One arrived in 5 days and the other just over 3 weeks later!! So don't give up yet.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Further to my last post. I meant to say that I've never had a bad experience with any purchase from a C&F member. More than I can say about Ebay.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I sent a whistle recently (cheapest method for various reasons) and it took 15-16 days to arrive.

There are various priorities that the PO uses to determine who gets the next ride. Obviously, the more you pay, the more likely it is your package will get on the next ride!!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

NorCalMusician wrote:There are various priorities that the PO uses to determine who gets the next ride. Obviously, the more you pay, the more likely it is your package will get on the next ride!!!!
They have a very keen sense of how important the package is. They can smell your fear. The less important and less urgent the package, the most likely it will arrive in its destination quickly and efficiently.

So, when dropping packages at your local post office, adopt a debonnair posture. Use your best poker face. Toss them the package with a shrug and nary a second look. Let your whole body language say: "i don't care what happens to this package and the stuff in it."

If you do this right, they will put your package in the "normal" bin. If you fidget (even for a second) or ask worried questions, they'll drop it in the "special" bin and there's nothing you can do about it!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've never had a bad experience dealing with a C&F member either. This is a very honorable community IMO. Regarding the mail, I lent a black velvet Elvis painting to a friend in Sweden once. He mailed it back ground transoprt and it took a month or 2 to get home as I remember. The package looked like it had been to Timbuktu and back but it was fine. Patience, patience... :)

And that was B4911.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Paul wrote:I've never had a bad experience dealing with a C&F member either. This is a very honorable community IMO. Regarding the mail, I lent a black velvet Elvis painting to a friend in Sweden once. He mailed it back ground transoprt and it took a month or 2 to get home as I remember.
You mean you managed to get rid of a velvet Elvis and you actually wanted it back? :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.