Upon the Vast Propagation of Guitar-Like Instruments

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
talasiga
antispam: No

string beans

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:......
Actually listening to Zappa and Page. Good Irish b'ys, de pair o' dem. :D
Hey!
I saw Zappa in Melbourne in 1972 (or was it 73).
One of the best rock concerts I have experienced
even though I don't keep a single album of his.
Loved his trumpet player.

Back on the topic of lutey things in ITM.
my Irish guitarist friend plays a sitar
and we are practising some Irish pieces with it and flute.

A sitar is just a special lute elaborated for melodic rather than chordal composition
and it doesn't automatically play Indian music anymore than
a fiddle automatically plays Gypsy music.

One of the nice things about it is the sympathetic strings
which can be set arbitrarily to mimic the main melodic
patterns
of the piece you're playing
(sounds like a mini harp run)
and you can strum these occasionally as dramatic relief
to the lead lines played on the main strings.

I am not a great lover of the conventional 3 note chords
for ITM so I tend to prefer lutey instruments
for their melodic capacity rather than chords.
However, arpeggios are acceptable.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

A friend of mine who is a rather well-known Highland piper in the SF/Monterey Bay Area used to fool around with the sitar a bit back in our high school days. Not sure if he still does or not...Piobaireachd on sitar sounded kinda neat.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lorenzo wrote:"Check your signature, Joseph. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wha...? Oh, yeah. Did you know my middle name was 'DOH!!' ? :D

Cool guitar, cool story. I don't think that I could ever part with an instrumrnt like that. Lorenzo, how did you cope with the loss?
IvanP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IvanP »

So the E stands for "D'oh"? Is it silent? Is this a Gaelic consonant thing? What's the deal?
Just when you think you've seen it all, the Chieftains get a new guest star!
Joseph E. Smith

The 'E' used to be placed neatly before the 'D' in D'OH!!! But I had it surgically removed as it was confusing people (...myself included) to the degree where some folks (...again, myself included) thought I was referring to a city in Japan. I keep the 'E' as a part of my signature for purely sentimental reasons these days...sniff... :D
djm

Post by djm »

You could always replace the "DOH!" with an "Eeewww!" Just a suggestion. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Eeeeeeww, D'OH!!, eeeeeeww, D'OH!!.....hmmmm, I think you might be on to something there. :D
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Lorenzo wrote:"Check your signature, Joseph. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wha...? Oh, yeah. Did you know my middle name was 'DOH!!' ? :D

Cool guitar, cool story. I don't think that I could ever part with an instrumrnt like that. Lorenzo, how did you cope with the loss?
I thought you were joking about the Kay. :wink:

The guitar wasn't getting played, but just sitting around subject to calamity. I would like to have kept it, but I tired of guitars years ago, I lean more towards the bouzouki for accompaniment. And guitars, no matter how rare or valuable, don't compare to the UPs.
Joseph E. Smith

Lorenzo wrote:"And guitars, no matter how rare or valuable, don't compare to the UPs. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I with you there. Since I have been playing more and more UP, I have been playing less and less evreything else, including the fiddle and guitar.
Obssession? What obssession?
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Lorenzo wrote:None of your Martin and Taylor guitars were any match for this guitar, made in 1938, and purchased new by my dad when he was just a teenager. Labeled "the Holy Grail" of guitars by George Gruhn of Nashville, only a few of these bone-crushers were ever made. Wanna guess the make and model? My dad never knew what he had...he just knew it sounded a whole lot better than any of the others hanging on the wall.
I don't know - those were good axes but I think some of the prewar Martins would easily compete - and Martin will still repair your prewar Martin - free!

I remember several years ago being in a local shop when a gentleman brought in a very old HD28 that he'd inherited from his brother. You could tell by looking at the case that the guitar had probably spent quite a bit of time in non-climate controlled conditions (i.e. an attic or garage). The top was slightly bowed at the bridge and the neck was beginning to separate from the body. The gentleman wanted to know what it would cost to have it repaired. The shop's tech looked it over and said, "shouldn't cost you anything, we'll send it off to Martin and they should cover it under warranty."

(By the way, I don't even own any Martins at the moment - I tend towards Taylors 'cause I prefer their lighter voices.)

Even Martins and Taylors aren't what they once were though. I once read an interview with Bob Taylor and the current head of Martin. They were lamenting that they would kill for wood that they were rejecting 20 years ago.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Joseph E. Smith

You know, the more I think about it, I should've recognized the guitar's body shape...it is pretty much a dead give-away. Sometimes my eyes are closed to the obvious. :D
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Bumpalicious

Would i get shot if I were to bring an electic 12-string to a session?

Not just any electric guitar, but this one:

They do sound really good for melody lines, not just backup:)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:You know, the more I think about it, I should've recognized the guitar's body shape...it is pretty much a dead give-away. Sometimes my eyes are closed to the obvious. :D
:lol:
The body work just screams GIBSON.

Beautiful instrument.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

dubhlinn wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:You know, the more I think about it, I should've recognized the guitar's body shape...it is pretty much a dead give-away. Sometimes my eyes are closed to the obvious. :D
:lol:
The body work just screams GIBSON.

Beautiful instrument.

Slan,
D.
Well!
I'm proud of myself! When I saw this picture I thought- that looks like my Dad's guitar (except for the color-his was lighter wood). I wonder if it's a Gibson?

My brother is the guitar player nowdays and inherited Dad's. I don't know what exact one it is ( I'm sure brother does)but it too is old.

I just order a bouzouki for brother's birthday present. I'm anxious to see what he does with the thing, since he's always been able to play anything with strings.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Looks like a Rickenbacker to me.
Alan