Estimates of Uilleann Pipers in the U.S.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

I'd say that 50k is really high. If I remember correctly, the number we came up with last year on the Daye email list - worldwide - was less than 5000.

Jeff
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Brian Lee wrote: We have THONGS Baby! And we KNOW HOW TO USE 'EM!!! *MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!*
Oh... now I'm afraid. :lol: :lol:

Next thing you guys will start thinkin' you could get everything organized...like laying all your streets out in perfect grids. Then you'll name them something different. (er...you probably already did that).

Unlike in Atlanta where every street is named Peachtree Street, Peachtree Circle, .. Court, ... Place, ... Parkway, et. al. and they all just sort of wind around semi-hapazardly.

Cheers!
-gary
Paul

Post by Paul »

Temporary OT:

Well, Gary, since you mentioned it, as your resident storehouse of information about Atlanta I will now solve these mysteries for you. 8)
The Snoogster wrote:Unlike in Atlanta where every street is named Peachtree Street, Peachtree Circle, .. Court, ... Place, ... Parkway, et. al.
There are over 57 of them and not a peachtree to be seen anywhere at all. The original "Peach" tree was actually a "PITCH" tree that was located next to and old and important Indian fort in the area. It was called "Standing Pitchtree Fort".
and they all just sort of wind around semi-hapazardly.
That's because they're all built on top of old Indian hunting paths and animal trails. It's all true.

Off OT: :D

Now then, if we get a GA Pipers Club going here we're going to have to one-up that thong! :wink: :D
djm

Post by djm »

Now then, if we get a GA Pipers Club going here we're going to have to one-up that thong!
You're going to have to work pretty hard on that. I've heard someone already has dibs on a piper's bra, and others have branded their own version of Depends for Pipers.

As to the actual number of UPers in the USA, as of last Thursday there were 3,241. I will be publishing this well known fact in News of the World as soon as the pictures come back from the lab.

djm
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

djm wrote:... others have branded their own version of Depends for Pipers.

djm
Cool...then you can drink and play all day without having to leave your chair!! :oops: :boggle:

Paul, thanks for the factoids...yep, we'll have to think of something appropriate to one-up the thongs.

Cheers!
-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

How about pasties...with tassles? :D :D :D Now, I'd call that a little over the top, eh?
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Piper (and mathematician) John Walsh has figured out this number exactly:

..."Now wait a minute... We don't need to count them all up, we can
just take a random sample and use the magic of statistics to estimate the
total.

Somebody mentioned that there are ten pipers in Texas--now there's
a random sample for you! Texas has an area of 267,338 square miles. Thatmakes .0000374 pipers per square mile. And the world has a mean diameterof 7918 miles, which means a surface area of...wait a second here...about196,960,000 square miles which means...hmm... .0000374 times196,960,000...carry the two...Aha!

There are 7367.3 pipers in the world. (Don't know about that .3
piper.)

Oops, I forgot---most of that area is water, we really should only
count the pipers living on land (the others' reeds are too wet to sound.)
Now the land area of the earth is 57,506,000 sq miles, so...hmm...try this
again... .0000374 pipers per square mile times 57,506,000 square miles
is...wait a second, I almost have it... Yes! 2151.

So there are 2151 pipers in the world."

There. Case closed.

t
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Oops. I see that the original question was "how many pipers in the US".

...haven't a clue :P

t
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

tommykleen wrote:
(Don't know about that .3
piper.)
Until I can get in some more serious practice time, I think that would be me. :sniffle:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

tommykleen wrote:So there are 2151 pipers in the world.
I think that is actually pretty close to the last estimate I saw on the UILLEANN@LISTSERVE news letter.
GELivesay

Post by GELivesay »

snoogie wrote:
Brian Lee wrote: We have THONGS Baby! And we KNOW HOW TO USE 'EM!!! *MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!*
Oh... now I'm afraid. :lol: :lol:

Next thing you guys will start thinkin' you could get everything organized...like laying all your streets out in perfect grids. Then you'll name them something different. (er...you probably already did that).

Unlike in Atlanta where every street is named Peachtree Street, Peachtree Circle, .. Court, ... Place, ... Parkway, et. al. and they all just sort of wind around semi-hapazardly.

Cheers!
-gary
Just so there is not anymore confusion than what is already on this discussion, Snoogie is not the "Gary" that made the original post. He lives in the Metro Atlanta Area and I live in Middle Georgia around Macon, GA. We have peachtrees around this part and a BIG PEACH WATERTOWER close by as well on I-75.

Snoggie, we need to get together and do some playing. Shoot me an email off-line.
Gary
Middle Georgia
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

GELivesay wrote: I live in Middle Georgia around Macon, GA. We have peachtrees around this part and a BIG PEACH WATERTOWER close by as well on I-75.
Middle Georgia...is that like Middle Earth..any Hobbits about? :roll:

Check your email.

-gary (the other one)
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hobbits used to wear thongs too - except that theirs were made out of burlap. That might explain critters like Gollum now come to think on it..... :lol:
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Brian Lee wrote:theirs were made out of burlap
I thought that's why Orcs were so irritable. :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Guys, you both realize its gonna be weeks before I will be able to uncross my legs now, don't you? :lol: So, what do you suppose are the numbers for the population of pipers in the US who wear burlap thongs? Eh? Eh? :shock: