Adult Candy Across the Pond

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Adult Candy Across the Pond

Post by Walden »

Earlier this week I was diagnosed with tonsilitis. It struck about the time my parents went back overseas (my father came down with it too, I've since learned), along with a sinus infection.

Anyway, with this condition, I was giving some thought to lozenges, and visited a few web sites, including the one for Fisherman's Friend. It struck me that the web page title which refers to the product as "adult candy," would have somewhat different implications in America... maybe especially under the name, "Fisherman's Friend." It probably points to the American tendency to euphemism, though I suspect the British have a bit of a euphemistic tendency as well.
Reasonable person
Walden
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Ha! :lol: I actually like Fisherman's Friends. But only the original one, the diet or sugarless one is horrible.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Well, uh, we do have adult candy here. Adult Cakes too. But, ummmm,
I think it's a little different than what you are thinking of.......
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Fishermans Friend works great... clears you up like a Jalapino pepper and a Shot of Jack Daniel's, with out the next day burning...
Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Gawd I hate those things! Every time I got a cold when I was a kid, my grannie used to shove one of 'em in me mouth... I always used to think it was so that the foul taste would take my mind off the lurgy I was suffering from! She used to suck one of them every day, and swore blind she never had a cold in her life. And she lived to see 98, bless her :)

Come to think of it, I think it was gran who told my mum to add whisky to my milk so I'd sleep at night when I was a nipper...a formula which still works quite well! :D
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline

Post by emmline »

I hate'em too.
kevin m.

cough,splutter.

Post by kevin m. »

Good old Fisherman's friends-everytime someone at work has a packet we get all sorts of innuendo and double entrendres(I'll leave it to your imaginations!) :P
Victory V lozenges are a similar type of thing that contain, or used to contain chloroform(! ),if I'm right(???).Me and my pal used to eat them all the time when I was a kid-my mum used to say "You'll grow up to be a drug addict!"
I also used to like tiny,hard licorice sweets called 'Imps',that came in a very small box emblazoned with a mischievous looking Imp,surrounded by flames.I haven't seen those for years (the sweets I mean,NOT little Fire Sprites...hmm,maybe all those Victory V's DID have an affect!!!! :lol: )

:devil: - Imps don't look like this.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

With these, you can tell whether your child *really* has a sore throat or just wants a piece of hard candy disguised as a throat lozenge.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Looking at the title of this thread I thought: is Walden taking a walk on the dark side? Perhaps those C&F global tours now take in Amsterdam and Naples.

Good old Fishermans Friends. Absolute dynamite when the throat is sore and the sinuses clogged. They always remind me of another black tarry English substance. There was a brand of rolling tobacco distributed, I believe, in Her Majesty's Prisons, called Black Beauty. It was so dense it seemed to be pure tar. The only way you could tell the difference between that stuff and a blob of melted and resolidified Fishermans' Friends was to put it in your mouth and even then the test wasn't always conclusive.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

There's a store in Troy, which has a different sort of "adult candy"-- anatomically correct molded chocolate lollypops in various sexes and configurations. Gives the name "sucker" a whole new meaning... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Bring back memories of Chichen Itza?
Reasonable person
Walden
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

If you want innuendo and double entendres just listen to Bernard Wrigley's song 'Go Have A Suck On A Fisherman's Friend'. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:Bring back memories of Chichen Itza?
Man, Walden... what a memory!!
:oops:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!