It's Sickening

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Have we been told in the rant of 'What's really sickening' to hush up now? Hmmm... and I was having such fun with this thread. Image

And... aha! I made it to page 22!! Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-02-28 13:14 ]</font>
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Hmmm ... I think I forgot to wish Sara a happy birthday so here it is:

Happy Birthday Sara!!!
Sara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sara »

Thank you!
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

heh..I do believe we told to stop this thread
Phppppppttttttt
Like ...That'll ever happen

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

Cees - thanks for the links! I'd like to have some idea of what I'm supposed to be playing for the next few lessons. You're a legend!

Mark - I actually like Clapton's version of Danny Boy a lot. I'm sure it's just as Irish as all the junk shop crap the hang on the walls of "Irish" pubs here in Oz! I thought his slides were a bit overdone but after my whistle lesson I now know that the occasional missed note can be swiftly corrected and called ornamentation! It seems I've been adding ornamentation to my guitar playing for about 30 years or so now and I thought I was just a hopeless player!
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Mastersound,

*Blushing*
Gee, thanks--I've never been called a legend before! Image

I just thought you'd like to have a ton of links right at the beginning instead of spending many hours searching for all those, like I did a few months back. Now they all reside safely in my bookmarks :smile:

Good luck with everything!
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

Hi again

I just saw the "rant" post from NotMe. Sad :sad:
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Blah. Let 'em rant!

Randomness is the best way to go!!!
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

On 2002-02-28 15:26, Mastersound wrote:
Mark - I actually like Clapton's version of Danny Boy a lot. I'm sure it's just as Irish as all the junk shop crap the hang on the walls of "Irish" pubs here in Oz! I thought his slides were a bit overdone but after my whistle lesson I now know that the occasional missed note can be swiftly corrected and called ornamentation! It seems I've been adding ornamentation to my guitar playing for about 30 years or so now and I thought I was just a hopeless player!
Since you share with me, a version I did not know exists, I'll tell you my favorite version. Sinead O'Connor does a dazzeling version on (no this is not a recommendation!) Davey Spillane's Sea of Dreams ("Ocean of Crap" as one ex-boarder put it to me). It sounds like no other version ever recorded or sung as it comes out of her lungs. Never done better. If she did not sing on two tracks, the CD would be a coaster under my beer bottle right now. New age. Sinead puts too much of her soul into the music for it to turn out mediocre.

By the way. I just noticed a new level of insanity to add to this thread. If we get to 25 or 36 pages, a second row of page numbers will appear a the top of each page. OK, who is first

(to add astounding trivial non-sense to the page, Who is aware of how the American word "OK" came into being.

Anyone,

President Andrew Jackson (Indian killer, War Hero of the Battle of New Orleans, and Genocide spokesman) was darn near illiterate. When he saw a paper he approved of, he scribbled the letters O.K. on them. O.K. stands for Oll Korrekt, or in English, All Correct.
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

<ol>
<li>Last year I took my son to a few places in Europe including almost a week in Edinburgh, Scotland. We searched in <b>a lot</b> of eateries for haggis. It was generally on the menu but never actually existed in real life (just to impress the tourists I guess). It took a trip to a Scottish festival in Costa Mesa, California to finally get to try it. That was some good stuff!! despite what everyone says... I will certainly have to give blood pudding a try. <b>Where do I start looking???</b> In the backwoods of Missouri I've seen neighbors hang their hogs up in a tree by the hind legs, cut their throats, and drink a cupful of fresh blood before boiling and butchering the animal.</li>

<li>What is Everclear?? Where can I find Rootbeer extract??</li>

<li>In remembering some words of advice from various family members: my father always said that <i>everything over a mouthful is wasted</i>, and <i>I would't kick her out of bed for eating crackers</i>. My brother always warned, <i>never date a girl with breasts bigger than her head</i>. Guess there's some truth in all of that.</li>
</ol>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2002-02-28 23:23, Mark_J wrote:

(to add astounding trivial non-sense to the page, Who is aware of how the American word "OK" came into being.

Anyone,

President Andrew Jackson (Indian killer, War Hero of the Battle of New Orleans, and Genocide spokesman) was darn near illiterate. When he saw a paper he approved of, he scribbled the letters O.K. on them. O.K. stands for Oll Korrekt, or in English, All Correct.
Tsk. That wasn't Jackson, and it wasn't illiteracy -- it was the supports of Martin van Buren, "Old Kinderhook", and it was intentional, following a trend of comical abbreviations from the middle of the 19th century.

But the "OK Club" that supported van Buren didn't coin it, they just made the "oll korrect"/"Old Kinderhook" connection which popularized it; the abbreviation first found its way into print a year before van Buren's supporters popularized it, and it was indubitably used orally prior to that, although to a lesser extent, since the pun required one to know what "OK" was outside of the Old Kinderhook context.

The Jackson tie-in was an urban legend vectored by van Buren's opponents, trying to negatively associate van Buren with his supposedly illiterate predecessor.

(As much as that might sound like speculation, Columbia professor Allen Walker Read presented this etymology in <i>American Speech</i> in 1963, and it's considered definitive.)

See? This thread's educational!

<ul>-Rich</ul>
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Dang Rich, I'm impressed....How did you know that bit of trivia ? :eek:

Dan
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2002-03-01 02:20, Graphics Guy wrote:
Dang Rich, I'm impressed....How did you know that bit of trivia ? :eek:
I'm a bit of a logophile and a pedant -- interesting etymologies are a bit of a hobby of mine, as are urban legends. (The two often meet.)

<ul>-Rich</ul>
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

That Andrew Jackson was illiterate is a myth. He was not illiterate - he just didn't know Latin or Greek. His political opponents exploited this gaping lack in education by portraying him as illiterate. Imagine if we held our modern presidents to such standards. W can barely speak English and rarely reads it. His frequent attempts at Spanish are absolutely hilarious. He's lucky that most Spanish speaking Americans love to hear any Anglo even try to speak their language. Imagine if he tried out some crappy French while on a visit to Paris!
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Oh man....What would happen if he tried to speak Chinese, Very Frightning

Dan