OT - Getting a Mac

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Mac or PC?

I use a Mac.
24%
I use a PC.
60%
I use both.
16%

Total votes: 63

JessieK
antispam: No

OT - Getting a Mac

Post by JessieK »

I really like taking digital photos and I want to get a video camera (still haven't gotten around to it, Gary, but I have all the wonderful info you gave me) to record special moments of Joey's life (I'd better hurry).

So I hear that a Mac is the way to go for this (my Dell laptop is becoming ancient already - it's about 4 years old). I had Macs through college, actually. Then I crossed over to the world of PCs.

I ordered a 17" screen IMac (just like the one my father-in-law has) today and it should be here by Monday. So please wish me luck with the learning curve as I switch back!
~JessieD
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You won't look back.
/Bloomfield
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Welcome back to MacIntosh Jessie. Though I haven't jumped into the digital camera scene quite yet, nearly everyone I know who's into photography (professional and amateur) swears by Apple for digital work. I've been a dedicated Mac owner for over 10 yrs and yes, Bloomy, haven't looked back either. The new G5 looks awesome by the way.
Last edited by stiofan on Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It might take a little getting used to OSX, but if you've used PC's some, it might go smoothly for you. Digital video is a piece of cake -- plug the camera into the firewire and the Mac does the rest.

OSX is incredibly stable, although Microsoft applications still seem to be designed to crash. It just crashes the application, though, not the system.

Best of luck! Looks as though you'll be able to get a little support from some MacChiffers.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jonharl »

I agree with Bloomfield. I'm a tried and true Mac boy. A 17" iMac sounds great. The learning curve won't be that tough.
jen f

Post by jen f »

Yea! Welcome back to the wonderful world of Macs. And I wouldn't worry too much about the "learning curve". In my opinion (and a bunch of other people's too), Macs are more intuitive than PCs. They just make sense. OSX is very cool--you'll love it!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i've never used a mac, only pc. but what i've heard is that macs are sh*t. just kidding. haha...mac supposedly are better for graphic stuff and all. :)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

There has to be at least one dissenter. I use a PC and have from the beginning. I also used Macs at one of the companies I worked for a few years ago. I am sorry but I didn't like them. I have had Windows XP Home Edition for over a year and it has never crashed, not even once. I do digital photography and I don't know how it could be easier. I also find it much easier to upgrade and I always build my PCs from scratch. But I have been working with the systems since Intel came out with the 4040 chip. Do I like the way MS does business? No! But I do like the product more than the competition. I have also used Unix so don't anyone tell me I should switch to Linux. Like I said there has to be one.

Ron
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I use a PC, and find it is what works best for me. But a Mac is the way to go if you want to get into graphics. A cartoonist friend of mine has been using them for years and swears by them. Someday I might cross over, but it'll have to wait a few years.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I don't really get the common "wisdom" that Macs are great if you're doing graphics and such. I got my first computer, a Mac SE, in 1988, and have had a Mac ever since. (SE, Performa, iMac, iBook, new iBook...) My youngest, as a toddler, would refer to the "Macputer."

I simply like them better, and find the whole system more pleasant and intuitive, whether I'm using it for pics, or words.

I have had to make peace with pcs and have learned my way around one, since that's what the kids wanted as "their" computer a couple years ago, and I am, by default, the fixer of all electronic glitches.(dvds, vcr, vid-cam...whatever.)
Even though I now can use either...I'm a Mac user.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-An iMac user exclusively since 1998. I like them except for the relative lack of software compared to the PC. Still and all, there's a lot to be said for a computer you don't need to know much about-just plug it in and go. Reading the directions may actually get in the way. Do power it through a
good surge suppressor or UPS. My first iMac's logic board ( a very old 266 mhz) was killed by wild power surges from the wall outlet, and its an expensive repair or replacement.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I am a PC user from way back who is convinced that Mac is the way to go.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Jessie, if a goof like me can quickly learn imovie to put out some good movies, then anyone can! It's an incredibly powerful tool to preserve memories with, and it's just a breeze to learn and play with. Have fun! :)

Oh, and as for Ron?
RonKiley wrote:I am sorry but I didn't like them.
It's OK, Ron. We forgive you. ;)

Jef
Quiet John

Post by Quiet John »

My personal experience (and there is quite a bit of it) with Macs has been uniformly negative. That, and most of my very important software isn't made for the Mac. I guess it just comes down to what you need to do with it.
Unreasonable person,
John (formerly antstastegood)
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

brianormond wrote:-An iMac user exclusively since 1998. I like them except for the relative lack of software compared to the PC.
I've also been an iMac user since the original Bondi blue version; before that we had a Performa 475 and I'm typing this on a 15" flat-screen iMac. I think they're wonderful machines; not flawless, but compared to my son's PC much less frustrating.

One thing about the common complaint about the lack of software that I thought I'd note is that it's very unusual for there not to be *some* piece of software for Macs that will do anything PC software will. You'll often have more choice with PCs, but in terms of actual function I've only heard laments for particular specialized programs. On the other side there are some wonderful Mac-only apps like BarFly.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the Mac's lack of vulnerability to all the currently circulating malware. It's not a bullet-proof operating system, but between some good design choices by Apple and its status as a minority system, so far all I've seen are some proof-of-concept nasties out there. Of course there's always tomorrow ... :-)

John