lunasa concert in new zealand. a sad note.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

lunasa concert in new zealand. a sad note.

Post by amar »

Read all about it here: http://www.lunasa.ie/lunasa.php?mp=59 and here: http://www.lunasa.ie/mb/viewtopic.php?t=169&highlight=
Just before their concert someone broke in backstage and stole Kevin's whistles and his one-of-a-kind Grinter C-flute. He's devastated.
passports, money,.... all gone. Makes me despair that people do such rotten things.... :( :(

All you ebay-goers, keep your eyes open...there might be some special stuff to be auctioned away....let the lads of lunasa know..

:(
Last edited by amar on Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Hmmm... so WhOA can be real bad.
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Clever Zubadub. ..... with a sense of humor and compassion like that you could have your own late nite talk show or reality show.

I have also had instruments stolen after gigs, twice, about three years apart.... during take down, it's a moment of opportunity the thieves are well aware of.

Even so, this is not Lunasa's greatest financial loss, emotional - possibly, but if you've read of their trevails with Green Linett, and the way they have been ripped off of royalties.

It started a major lawsuit and artist revolt but Green Linnett has played the "sue us, we're broke and will not hesitate to declare bankruptcy"
card.

I really look forward to the Apple IPod nmethod of music distribution, in the near future.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Real bummer.

Is there some sort of Irish mob we can call?

I remember many years ago when someone stole the guitar amp from ZZ Top, that was custom made, one of a kind for that ZZ Top sound. I never learned if he got that one back.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I think Billy Gibbons could get "that ZZ-Top sound" from a $100 guitar and a $50 practice amp - the man has magic fingers :)

Of course, most ZZ-top stuff is pretty simple. I once read an interview with Billy Gibbons where he says the band still can't believe how much money they've made off of "just three chords." :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

That's the pits.

I've seen Brian Finningan's gig case (Flook) - the first time I saw it I though it held a piano accordian. You'd need serious muscles to nick that, though Brian is a total weed so maybe not.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Ugh, that's terrible!!
~JessieD
Jane

Post by Jane »

I wonder if it could have been just one person...... I hope against hope that they recover their things. The market for their types of instruments is among people who might recognize the stuff. I'm sure there are people on it and somewhere in there will be someone who will "blow the whistle" on the monster who did this.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

One of our local musicians just had her hammered dulcimer stolen from out fof her cdar two nights ago as well. I mean come on! A hammered dulcimer?!?! What the hud kind of stupid crook even knows what it is or what it does - let alone where to sell one. We're hoping he tries to pawn locally. Sheesh. :roll:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The World is full of idiots... the evidence keeps coming in... let's hope some comes in on this case!

I used to be a trusting sort... not much any more. Now I'm the one muttering about "someone has to watch the stuff" and always locking the car. I don't care how people look at me, I know what it's like to have stuff stolen, and I don't like it one bit.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I say WhOA. Unfortunately, this ain't a sax or something really sellable on a wide market. Let's hope the motive for theft is some sort of "collection".
This kind of theft reminds of famous paintings: limited market, and only through acquointance.
A disturbed fan could hoard the instruments, and then, if they ever reappear it will be most probably not on such an exposed place as eBay.
However it may be a good thing that credit cards, etc. disappeared too: maybe the thief was not after the instrument and grabbed the gig bags without opening them.

Given the price at which high whistles go, and since they go by bagfulls, it is unfortunate that serial numbers on whistles remain an exception.

Following is OT, so keep out!
Sorry about that, folks, but I just like answering openly to open provocation:
Parcour25 wrote:Clever Zubadub. ..... with a sense of humor and compassion like that you could have your own late nite talk show or reality show.
Good idea: people will buy my cheap humour easier than your sour gall. So, advice for advice, I'd disadvise you took the same career: your sense of humour, we haven't much seen, even if it took some to get along with your provocations.
As for compassion, it takes different forms.
Parcour25 wrote:I really look forward to the Apple IPod nmethod of music distribution, in the near future.
This bit of autobiography will help Kevin much more, no doubt...
Last edited by Zubivka on Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

This is absolutely terrible. My heart goes out to the lads of Lunasa, especially Kevin with the stolen flute. I can hardly imagine how devestated I'd be if my flutes were stolen.
I really don't understand this kind of thing... how could anyone ever take pleasure in playing a stolen instrument? It's just really, really bad karma. I love my instruments and have such a deep relationship with them... if I knew they were stolen there is no way I could have that relationship, and if I stole them myself I'd be afraid that playing them would unleash some sort of horrible curse.
The thing is, instruments thefts happen fairly often... what a shame indeed.
Hmmm.... maybe we could start a fund to buy Kevin a new flute. We've got 3500 registered users. If a quarter of the users donated $2 each we could buy him a new C flute (without keys, but it would have to do). Just a thought.

Chris
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:We've got 3500 registered users. If a quarter of the users donated $2 each we could buy him a new C flute (without keys, but it would have to do). Just a thought.
I don't know, Chris : it's a one-off, and I doubt Kevin can't afford a new one readily, or that his fellow group members wouldn't help if he's tight at the moment. Now, next flute may play differently, and will take long--how long is long with M. Grinter?--to get made. That's the worst of such losses.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: lunasa concert in new zealand. a sad note.

Post by Loren »

amar wrote:Read all about it here: http://www.lunasa.ie/lunasa.php?mp=59 and here: http://www.lunasa.ie/mb/viewtopic.php?t=169&highlight=
Just before their concert someone broke in backstage and stole Kevin's whistles and his one-of-a-kind Grinter C-flute. He's devastated.
passports, money,.... all gone. Makes me despair that people do such rotten things.... :( :(

All you ebay-goers, keep your eyes open...there might be some special stuff to be auctioned away....let the lads of lunasa know..

:(
I will personally turn an attractive and sturdy club to beat the SOB silly with once the culprit is found. :devil:

Hmm, now which wood shall I use......... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That's just heartbreaking. Even if they can afford to replace the instruments, it's such a violation...instruments are such personal things (more like friends than objects, really).

I don't leave my gig bag in the car anymore, even for a little bit. Some months ago, someone tried to break into my car with a brick while I was inside my daughter's school. They shattered the windshield ($450 worth of repairs!) and pounded on the passenger-side doors (leaving some montster dings!) before realizing they weren't going to get in that way and giving up. Anything that looks like it might remotely contain something valuable is a target for people like that (and I do sometimes carry a credit card, some cash and my drivers license in my gig bag, since my clothes rarely have pockets). But geez...you'd think there'd be enough security backstage at a concert to feel safe enough putting your instrument cases down! That just reeks!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!