Bnat Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bnat Flute

Post by djm »

I have been looking for a not-too-expensive wooden flute in B natural. It seems most makers ignore or avoid this particular key. Anyone know why? I had asked Casey Burns about it when I ordered my D flute, but he just said no, and wouldn't discuss it. Seems to be something terrible about a flute in Bnat, but I have no idea what it is.

I have a set of UPs in Bnat, and thought a bit of B flute would compliment it. UPs in B are quite popular. I had quite a search to find a penny whistle in Bnat as well (Susato makes one).

So what's the deal? What is so terrible about flutes in the key of B?

Thx,

djm
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Every new key for a wooden flute is going to require a new set of reamers to create the correct bore profile, and a new set of calculations for hole sizes and placements. True, this can often be scaled from a nearby key, but there is still R&D effort required.

My guess is that there just isn't enough demand to justify the effort.
djm

Post by djm »

That's true if the development is new, but there are flutes in other keys. Why has no-one ever developed one in Bnat? Bnat used to be Cnat at one time, and it is surmised that what we have today as a Bnat UP set was once Cnat. Today there are flutes in many keys, including Bb and Cnat, but they always seem to skip around doing Bnat. Seems a bit weird.
:-?

djm
glauber

Post by glauber »

djm wrote:That's true if the development is new, but there are flutes in other keys. Why has no-one ever developed one in Bnat? Bnat used to be Cnat at one time, and it is surmised that what we have today as a Bnat UP set was once Cnat. Today there are flutes in many keys, including Bb and Cnat, but they always seem to skip around doing Bnat. Seems a bit weird.
:-?

djm
Well, concert pitch flutes are in "D". Bb flutes are useful to play with marching band instruments that are in Bb and F (ditto for F flutes). This pretty much covers all of the pitches that were traditionally available.

Oh, Eb flutes... these are actually D flutes made for high pitch, for millitary bands.

Hammy Hamilton lists C and B flutes in his catalog, BTW.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~hammie/Pitches.htm
So Hammy's your man. Tell him i said hi.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
djm

Post by djm »

Glauber, thanks for the link. Wow! That's not my idea of inexpensive for a keyless wooden flute. I think I keep looking. :)

djm
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Does anyone know if Olwell does Bnat bamboo flutes? I just ordered an Enat bamboo from him.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber

Post by glauber »

djm wrote:Glauber, thanks for the link. Wow! That's not my idea of inexpensive for a keyless wooden flute. I think I keep looking. :)
900 Euro for the B keyless (D keyless is 700 Euro).

Hammy's flutes were easier to buy when the Euro was weaker relative to the dollar.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

flutemaker bryan byrne in vermont makes a Bnat model
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

A friend of mine recently bought a Bnat flute from Andress Rogge to be able to play with flat pitched pipes in B.
djm

Post by djm »

All the links I've found for Bryan Byrne so far come up dead or empty. It seems that he worked at Seth Gallagher's for a while, but Seth is now making his own not-inexpensive flutes. Does anyone have an up-to-date link for Bryan?

Thx,

djm
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

bryan byrne isn't online so you'll have to call him by phone. brad hurley's site probably has his contact info. if not, then i have it somewhere and can dig it out for you.
John S

Post by John S »

Whistles made in India and Pakistan are often 1 semitone below the marked Key, I have several B Bansri (Mmarked C) I baught for a pitance and with a bit of re-tuning turned into excelant instruments.
Good luck
John S
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

DJM --> syn's come in B natural
Come to Elora some friday, and I will play one for you... you have to bring the flat set though, so I can ste... er... hear it again!

As for flutes... I know nothing... sorry!
djm

Post by djm »

"Syns"? You mean like synthesizers, or like "syns of the father"? :-?

djm
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »