A new mate of chiff and fipple

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A new mate of chiff and fipple

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello and good evening evryone,I would like to introduce myself to you boys (and girls).
My name is Julian Kelly,I´m Irish but livin in Germany.
Since long 4 years I play tinwhistle and I`m learning Flute since a short time too (Irish and German Flute)
Favourite song to play is the Irish public anthem :molly mallone,and o neil´s hornpipe.
I am ´armed´ with 6 different tinwhistles :
Clarke D
MEG D
Gerneration D+F
Chieftrain D
Shaw D tweaked.

I moment I`m tweaking the Clarke (new mouthpiece),the generation (new head of a feadog) ,and the nameless D whistle i got one day as a present.

cheers,Julian Kelly
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Howdy, Julian. Say, would O'Neill's Hornpipe be the same as Chief O'Neill's Favorite?
TinwhistleJulian

at least theyre very similar nano ,and its often so in the folk scene that you can find the same track under different name.

O´Neils Hornpipe is one of the probably most difficult tracks i know,and i play it often in combination with the swallows tail and the showmans fancy ,like the Dubliners use too ,as their dancing track(cause they always dance while playing this track with 2 mandolines and a guitar,and at the end they copy the rock style when they jump in direction to the audience with the guitars) :D :D :D :D :D
I play this track with the german flute or the chieftrain whistle,but its hard to hold the line while playing,many times i fall out of the rythm or overblowers with the shop whistles.
I´m searching for Irish&Celtic Folk friends from Europe and all over the world,for folkers in germany ,netherland and Ireland ,contact me for a real meeting ,so we can see if its possible to do that.
at moment I´m writing some own songbooks,with the old tunes and new tracks.

cheers,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You might want to keep quite about tunes like Molly Malone some of the purists might verbaly attack you :lol: try a Dixon whistle. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Greetings all, I too am new to this page. I usually hang out on the Uilleann and Whistle Forums. I play a load of instruments including fiddle, guitar, wistles, mandolin, didgeridoo, piano, GHB and UP, mountain dulcimer and the list goes on. I have been playing professionally for nearly 30 years.

The opinions on the C&F pages are vast and varied, but that shouldn't be any reason to be afraid of posting what your tune preferences are. I must have played Molly Malone and Danny 'friggin' Boy a zillion times, and though they aren't my first choice of things to play or sing, they are usually the most requested songs anywhere you go...and as a professional, it is all about the audience. In other settings, it is a different story altogether.

As tired of Danny Boy as I may be, every time I hear it I think of the time many, many years ago when I was tipped $500 to play it. I still haven't gotten over that one :D

Keep at it Julian, and don't let the slaggin' get you down. :D
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Hi Julian,

I've been lurking over here on the ITM list. I'm usually tiptoeing around on the whistle list but I thought I'd come out to play for a moment and wish you a kind welcome.

I'm always eager to learn more about whistles, whistlers and the places in which they live and play. How's life in Germany? Are sessions common there?

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:As tired of Danny Boy as I may be, every time I hear it I think of the time many, many years ago when I was tipped $500 to play it. I still haven't gotten over that one :D
Ah Nuts.

I was once asked to play The Mountains of Mourne in a carpark in Acton (West London), but as I hate the utterly drippy cheesiness of the lyric I had wiped it from my memory banks.

Mind you, I'd probably have been lucky to get 5p as a tip. Still, every little helps.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Martin Milner wrote: "Mind you, I'd probably have been lucky to get 5p as a tip. Still, every little helps. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...boy, and how, it adds up eventually. I have received some nice tips over the years, but that one took the cake...and, of course, I have yet to top it...slim chance of that one I think :D
Séan O'Neil

Post by Séan O'Neil »

Hi Julian!

Best greetings from the south of Germany! Where do you live?? Nice to see that more and more Germans are taking part of the forum! :D
Séan O'Neil
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Séan O'Neil wrote:Nice to see that more and more Germans are taking part of the forum! :D
Let's just hope they give it back! ;)
/Bloomfield
TinwhistleJulian

well,in this part of germany where I`m livin (Federal State NRW) are not much folkers and sessions,and normally theyre ole mens ,and a bit intolerant to youth folkers .
but I hope that changes one day,cause I`m gettin older *lol* :P :P :P :P

for the persons with icq or msn messenger:add me so we can talk via messengers,that practical i think

seeya,Julian
Julian O`Donovan

fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I haven't played "Danny Boy" yet, but my version of Amazing Grace always goes over good in our church gigs. I haven't tried it on any other gigs, but I might at the next Civil War gig, just after the War Widows thing they do after the first battle.