Good reed maker??

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Art Vandolais

Good reed maker??

Post by Art Vandolais »

I need to have a good set of reeds made for my regulators. My set is sort of an amalgum of parts from different pipemakers, so I really don't have anyone specific to order the reeds from. If I'm going to order reg. reeds, I want to make sure that I get something good. Does anyone know of a good reed-maker that would be willing to work on pipes that they didn't make themselves? I wouldn't mind paying good money to have a set made, but I just want to be sure that they'd work for me. Please help me out....! Thanks.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

That would depend on a). where you live, and b). would you be willing to send your set off to be reeded correctly? Where you live, because there may be someone pretty close to you. You would probably have to send your set along for several weeks to ensure that the reeds were suitable.

A couple of names that have been bandied about this board for reedmaking are Alan Burton and Ted Anderson. I don't know if either has a web site, as they don't seem to advertise their services on the web. Do a Search on this forum to see if you can pick up their contact info.

I don't know of anyone listing dedicated UP reedmakers, per sé. NPU has a list of pipemakers. So does Uilliann Obsession. Most pipemakers will take this on if you're willing to leave your set with them long enough for them to figure your set out to reed it properly.

djm
Art Vandolais

Post by Art Vandolais »

Thanks for the information about where to start looking. One thing that I wanted to ask you, concerning your reply, was about pipemakers. You mentioned that most pipe makers were probably willing to take on the job of re-reeding a set of regs. One of the biggest reasons I am looking into having reeds made, is that when I attempt to use the regs., I have several keys that that are jumping into the second octave (even under pretty mild pressures). I had spoken with a pipemaker about the possibility of doing some repair work to the regulators themselves, but he feels like my problem is most likely caused by inferior reeds.
I wouldn't mind parting with the regs. for as long as would be needed to do the work, but I don't want to invest my time and money, only to end up with another set of bad reeds. I'd much rather pay good money, and have them made by someone who is well known for making great reeds.
That is why I would hesitate to call just any pipemaker, and place an order for a set of reeds. If anyone has any info./suggestions (good or bad) about specific people or pipemakers when it comes to having reeds made, please let me know.....
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Who made the set of pipes you currently own? It is more than likely that they would be more than willing to help you out...good for business I would think.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

if the reeds are jumping into a second octave, they're too light. An adjustment to them might well sort them out.

Time you met up with someone ... it might not need new reeds, just tweaking of the ones you have. Maybe they've dried out a bit from when they were set up, it might only need a bridle adjustment.

You need to meet up with a good piper for a second opinion....or a reedmaker, of course.

Pipes, like cars, need to get a good service every now and again.

Boyd
Art Vandolais

Post by Art Vandolais »

While everyone's advice is both greatly appreciated, and taken into careful consideration, I was really hoping for some names of good reed makers. Can anyone help me out there?
djm

Post by djm »

Art, the point is to find someone near to you. No-one is advertising themselves specifically as UP reedmakers, so you're better off finding a pipemaker, and make sure he is near to you so that you can work with him closely to get reeds that satisfy you, or maybe find out if the problem is with the way your current reeds are set up, or maybe with the way you are handling your set.

djm
anima

Post by anima »

http://www.allanmoller.f9.co.uk/

Alan Burton also makes a nice reed I've heard, oh and Royce has a good friend of his up in Belfast who reeds chanters. :D

jeff
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Art, if you are still in the back woods of Louisiana, and have a large bore chanter, your best bet is to work with Kirk Lynch since he's just a couple states North of you. He can also make you a loud chanter to keep up with those other loud instruments you might play with.

If you have a set made in the Mid-East., you may want to work with Tim Britton since he's also just North of you and seems to understand them.

Kirk Lynch
206 Welt
Weston, MO 64098
klynch@planetkc.com
http://www.kirklynch.com/

Tim Britton
808 S. 3rd St,
Fairfield, IA 52556
641/472-4005
piedpiperprod@yahoo.com
http://www.skep.com/britton/
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I'll make you a reed,
I play a Johny Bourke chanter circa. 1984. I'm not sure what Johnny was doing back then but those bores were (to quote Joyce) imarginably large.
Anyway, I live in St. Louis and I make reeds.
Feel free to PM me if ya need reedin'!

Tommy.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Either open the reg reed lips a tad or scrape them down the centerline of the reed, that is, in line with the staple.

A thicker center than the edges makes good chanter reeds because they jump the octaves easily. An overscraped centerline of a chanter reed makes a good reg reed.

Caution: I have only made one successful reg reed (tenor), but that was the secret to it. I gave it to a friend of mine whos tenor reg reed would jump octaves on the bottom note. He had given me several chanter reeds and even gave me a reed made in '92 by Dickie Deegan that plays great in my C chanter, so I owe him a lot.

Now, I need to destroy some cane and get me a couple made and learn how to work the darn things. My maker's reeds would go in different directions, one flat, one sharp on the G chord and I destroyed both attempting to get them adjusted. (mumble <censored> pipemaker's reeds suck, except for Benedict Koehler and he just does his own stuff now, he told me, make your own, mumble, mumble, curse, mumble <censored> reeds!).

I ain't letting these suckers out of my grimy paws after a few bad experiences with a couple of well respected pipemakers reeds. The only ones that actually work and work well in my pipes, I made myself. Even Debbie Quigley at the Chapel Hill tionol gave me a comment that my pipes had good tone. <head swells>

I want to play them rather than send them off and wait on some reedmaker to send me reeds I may be disappointed with.
Royce

Post by Royce »

anima wrote:http://www.allanmoller.f9.co.uk/

Alan Burton also makes a nice reed I've heard, oh and Royce has a good friend of his up in Belfast who reeds chanters. :D

jeff
Actually I have an evil, incompetent, chanter-hacking nemesis in Belfast who stole one of Alan Burton's great reeds off of me, you must have meant.

Royce