Good loud tunable C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

JessieK wrote:
PhilO wrote:Oh, Jessie, could I just borrow that Copeland C so I can have Michael make an exact duplicate?
Interestingly, Jim Rementer has said that C is one of those finicky keys that doesn't always turn out right.
Particularly given the not insubstantial price, it worries me that these whistles that don't "always turn out right" seem to find their way onto the market. This is only garnered from previous threads, you understand and NOT from personal experience.

I'd very much like to order a Copeland Silver Low D but especially as I live in Europe I'm wary of ordering for fear of receiving one that didn't turn out right given the hassle of vat and import duty etc. if I had to send it back for remedial work.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Zubivka wrote:Just a question, Glauber--do you want this C whistle to play mostly in C (and F) Major or more in D (and G) minor?

In the latter case, there may be alternative choices.
All of the above. F, Dm and Gm, but right now i was thinking more Dm and Gm to play the silly things fiddlers pull out at sessions, in these keys.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Thanks for all the replies. I don't want to spend too much money on a C whistle, since i play D 90% of the time. But it's nice to know the options. I'd definitely go for a few Copelands if i had a spare thousand dollars... or pick up a Thin Weasel.

But dare i try another Susato? Oh the humanity!
Last edited by glauber on Fri May 21, 2004 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Wellsprings--
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I think the Susato C is a great whistle for its price.
glauber

Post by glauber »

chas wrote:If you're looking for a cheapie, you might want to try a Walton's nickel or Susato. I like the Walton's a lot, and it booms pretty nicely, while lots of people who are not at all fond of Susato D's like the C's.
Hmm, darnit i remember now, i used to have a Walton's nickel C and i actually liked it. I gave it away. Maybe i'll order a Walton's and a Susato from thewhistleshop...
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

By the way, any opinions on the Reyburn LB C? I've got dibs on a D/C LB set.
--Wellsprings--
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

What about a Jerry Tweaked Shaw or Walton's C? They're probably better than a Susato at a reasonable price.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

JessieK wrote:
PhilO wrote:Oh, Jessie, could I just borrow that Copeland C so I can have Michael make an exact duplicate?
Sorry, but no. I have a no-lend policy with my instruments (unless I'm right there).

Interestingly, Jim Rementer has said that C is one of those finicky keys that doesn't always turn out right. I'm glad to hear that someone else has a winner.
I've not had good luck on one occasion with a Copeland C and Jim acknowledged that they had had problems in that key; although that was some time ago and he thinks they have it under control now. It's the only key missing from my Copeland set and I guess I remain a bit gun shy. Maybe next birthday. :)

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

glauber wrote:By the way, any opinions on the Reyburn LB C? I've got dibs on a D/C LB set.
That's what I thought about, when asking if you were after CM or Dm... Maybe all you need is an extra D tube with a minor scale, i.e. natural F, and if an F# is needed, you can always half-hole the G.

That's what Hiro got from RR for his Sindt heads... See http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=13256

To see if it can work with you, you may experiment by taping the higher two thirds of the F# hole on a standard whistle.
Depending on the precise type of "minor" D you play you may need the occasional Bb for harmonic or Eolian-- no big deal.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

JessieK wrote:That particular Copeland is going with me to the grave, unless my kids turn out to be REALLY nice.
She's not kidding Glauber, I've tried and tried to get that whistle back - to no avail, so don't even bother. I don't think she'd sell it even for a grand, which I'd actually consider paying, because that thing is so damn good.

I never should have parted with it. :cry: :cry: :cry: (Waaaaa! whining makes me feel better, hee hee.)

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Fri May 21, 2004 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yes, i gave up on that one. I have very little chance of outliving Jessie.

:D
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

Many thanks to all who responded! My answer ended up being... none of the above! A D/C Reyburn set came up for sale for a good price and i bought it. Hopefully it will do the trick. But i will keep the Copelands, Burkes, Thin Weasels and the others in mind.
--Wellsprings--
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I'm sure JessieK did post a reply. Then it vanished in the ether. I know I should stop white wine with crabs: crabmeat makes me see strange things. Meanwhile...

It suddenly struck me no-one mentioned Dave Parkhurst's high whistles.
Superb whistles, truly handmade and at a steal price given the work and sound...
Funny how brands here get hyped or disdained through fad cycles.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Reyburn's high C is very nice, as is Abell's. I have a Jerry-tweaked Shaw C that's quite fun to play as well.

My Reyburn C is part of my raffle prize . . . I got the D/C set with an extra D tube. (Thanks Reynaldo!)

Stuart