H.P. Lovecraft roll call

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Kuranes wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:OK, ok, I admit it: I had a Lovecraft phase, too, as a teenager. But I got over it. I mean, the stories are fun and mindboggling, but ultimately, the writing isn't very good. I've tried re-reading it, and didn't have the patience.
Quite true.... I'm getting the same feeling going back and trying to read some of Robert E. Howard's works. Some literary styles just don't age well (I have a feeling this is more to do with changing expecations of literary style rather than any inherient flaws in the style or writing itself).

Some of the other Mythos-inspired works can be good, but it's often a crapshoot. If you see the collection Cthulu 2000 at a library, there's a great story in there called The Barrens, though.

My primary interest in Lovecraft's works came about via the intention to play Call of Cthulhu. Unfortunately, I don't play it much anymore...
Yep I had that same problem rereading early Moorcock. HPL's strength was in the atmosphere and the out-there sf/occult hybrid imagery. Not Shakespeare, but still great fun.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lovecraft was better reading when I was a teenager. Nowadays vague adjectives ("eldritch", "horrible", etc.) leave me wanting more craft in depiction: HOW is something "horrible"?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nanohedron wrote:Lovecraft was better reading when I was a teenager. Nowadays vague adjectives ("eldritch", "horrible", etc.) leave me wanting more craft in depiction: HOW is something "horrible"?
If you have to ask, you'll never know.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

*sigh*

I've lost my sense of wonder. Alas.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

pthouron wrote: Is that a Cthulhu doll???? Too much!
I discovered Lovecraft when I was 14 or so. I got into it so much that it felt like it was "history" rather than fiction... I still re-read the stuff once in a while. Those names... Nyarlatothep. Oooops! Did I just summon it?
:boggle:
Yup..I collect Lovecraft stuff, especially Cthulhu...much in the same way my mom collects Unicorns, I guess. :)

At Xmastime I decorated my resin Cthulhu statue with a Santa hat and wreath, but I think the most whimsical item I have is a "Hello Cthulhu" tshirt with the Great Old One skipping on it in the same style as "Hello Kitty". :D
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by beowulf573 »

Kuranes wrote: Some of the other Mythos-inspired works can be good, but it's often a crapshoot. If you see the collection Cthulu 2000 at a library, there's a great story in there called The Barrens, though.
The Barrens is by F. Paul Wilson who's written some good stuff. His novel Nightworld, the end of his Adversary Cycle that includes The Keep and other books, is an apocalyptic end of the world novel heavily inspired by Lovecraft.

Eddie