Good Gen or High End

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Good Gen or High End

Post by RonKiley »

I notice that many people who are looking for a high end whistle specify one that sounds like a good Gen. If I have a good Gen that has that classic sound and is in tune why buy a high end whistle? What do you get with a high end whistle that you don't get with the good Gen? (Other than to satisfy WhOA)

Ron
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Nothing...unless the individually crafted nature of the high-enders is something that's meaningful to you.
jen f

Post by jen f »

How many Gens do you have to order to find a good one? Or if you just order a Jerry-tweaked one does that take care of it?

I've tried/borrowed three different high-end whistles--Sindt, Burke aluminum, and Burke brass, the first two of which are not for me. But one thing I noticed about all of them as opposed to my cheapies is that you can "lean into" them a little and make them "sing" without altering the tone or making them squeak or buzz. Is that true of a good Gen too?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Good Gen. They only take 5 minutes to make and sound great.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Having played the Burkes now for a while, I can honestly say that I don't like putting plastic in my mouth for one thing. I know, delrin block and all, but the cheapos feel kinda cheap after cruisin on the Burke.

What I DO like about my OBrian Feadog (thanks, D!), is that with a smaller barrel and thinner body, I believe rolls come easier under the fingers for TRAINING yourself, even if the hole is the same size as the Burke. There is also a directness about the way you blow the fipple that truly feels different than the innovative models.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cai

Post by Cai »

Tuning slides are also rather nice to have if you want to attempt to play with other people.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Gen have the limited choice of keys,in-line hole placement,vaguely sharing the same intonation. These are no problem as long as you want to obey their tradition. But when you feel something by traditionalists undone and being just 'customary', you need to get what you cant get with even good Gen. I am personally seeking the way to create something new and beneficial,getting along with ITM(because I am only a Japanese who has a bit different tradition and I dont find it rewarding to mimic their tradition).

Well, at any rate, anything ok as long as I have choices. :D
Monster

Post by Monster »

I like the idea of a good Gen, but really have found that they are horribly out of tune. You can take a file to a couple of the holes and improve the intonation somewhat, I have done that, and the improvement was quite noticeable :) .

I also replaced the cheap plastic head with a mid priced "Raindog" head, plays much much better than any Gen head I've ever had, the Gen head being either tweaked or untweaked.

Now all I have to do is replace the Gen tube with a Feadog tube (for better intonation yet) and I'll be through improving my Gen! :wink:
insert uber smart comment here
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Gen types of whistles (since I prefer Oaks) are tunable with the hot water treatment to the head. If you have a good one, I like their chiffy sound...I couldn't imagine ever buying a high-ender even after having played a few. Truly, this is an individual choice.

Eric
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

This seems kind of silly to say, but I have MANY high end whistles (that I wouldn't part with) and the Jerry Tweaked Gen is the one I pick up most often (next to my Laughing Whistle, I guess)
I agree, it isn't as in tune as I'd like, with the CD's I play along with.
But it has that sound I like.
I love my other whistles, too, but I don't know,,,,, I just happen to pick up those particular two the most.
If you like your money, you can save a lot ~ it's up to you (I have a Whoa habit that's hard to break :lol: )

Mary
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hiro Ringo wrote: I am personally seeking the way to create something new and beneficial,getting along with ITM(because I am only a Japanese who has a bit different tradition and I dont find it rewarding to mimic their tradition).
you're only a Japanese, and I'm only a boring American of Scot-Anglo descent, but we share an interest in blending old traditions with new ideas...dynamism.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I fully appreciate the joy of owning a hand crafted work of art. I really coveted the Busman Birds Eye Maple D that was offered in the raffle. I accept that as a valid reason for owning a high end whistle.

I can look at a few Gens and pick one out that will play very well. I also like the sound of the Feadog. In fact last night I noticed that my Feadog that I loved had a crack down the center of the ramp. I will try some super glue. Right now it has LBW head on it. I also have an Oak tube that will get a white cap as soon as possible.

My question arose from my observation that many on the board have expressed the opinion that there "good" (tweaked) low ender was as good as any high end whistle that they had played. I have also noted that there are those who have bought high enders and then gotten rid of them because they didn't live up to their expectations.

A further question is, "Can you play traditional music on a high end whistle?" I notice that many professional players of traditional music play low end whistles and many who play high end whistles stray from traditional.

Ron
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Not all of us are after that Gen-type sound. But even if I were, there are several things hand-crafted whistles offer that injection-molded whistles don't. First is, I like wood. Each wooden whistle has its own personality, its own look, its own feel and some even have they're own smell (which I like more than the smell of brass). Second, they're all playable out of the box, which I haven't found with many inexpensive whistles. Third, they're available in many more keys. Fourth, there's a wide variety of different sounds/voices available. Last off the top of my head, they're available in a variety of volumes.

I'm not knocking mass-produced whistles; I keep a few in my car and play them every day. I don't play any cheapies in the house, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Ron, I think playing ITRAD on a high end whistke is quite common. Many traditional pros play high end whistles. Mary Bergin plays both a Sindt and a Gen as far as I've heard. Besides ITRAD is ITRAD on whatever whistle, isn't it?
Jon
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

emmline wrote: but we share an interest in blending old traditions with new ideas...dynamism.
Sure!

For example,I feel as though I listened to the issues of Japanese religion live today without reactionism while I listen to the issues of Celtic religion before Christianity.