Best "Complete" Set of Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

From highest to lowest:

G: Antiquie lead-fippled Gen-type
F: Overton
Eb: Overton
D: Silkstone
C: Overton
Bb: Overton
A: Overton

Lows
G: Chiieftain
F: Chieftain
D: Overton

Now, that said, I shouild also admit that some of the above are almost never touched or played. D and high G account for easily 90% of my playing, with Low D/G being virtually all of the rest.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Wombat wrote:
emmline wrote:Interesting that the low D position is dominated by Copeland and Overton with the Copeland ahead by a decent margin. I'm wondering if this is based largely on what people own versus what's perceived as most desirable. I presume, having never heard one live, that the Copeland has the flutier sound. So, is the Overton cosmic drainpipe sound a sort of esoteric cult preference?
I took it for granted that you had to be familiar with a whistle to vote for it—own it or play it regularly. Also, I was voting for particular whistles I own. I couldn't guarantee that your Copeland or Overton would sound or play just like mine, let alone that you'd like what I like.

I have several low Ds but the Copeland and Overton are both great whistles in my view. I voted for the Copeland because it has a slight edge; I only declared draws where I wasn't prepared to flip a coin. If I'd got into the depending-on-the-mood game I would have listed nine different Overtons but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game as I understood it. So I think both Copeland and Overton low Ds are very mainstream preferences and my low Eb choice was an Overton.
Low D Copeland, or Overton? Two whistles with a personality, each with its own sound making most others sound bland.
I lean toward the Copeland, though the Overton has THE trad' (said tongue-in-cheek) low whistle sound. Whether we'll admit to it or not, we're all Spillane's victims when it comes to THE low whistle sound. Kozmic drainpipe and tapdance backup awright.
The Copeland, as Beth (Avanutria) coined it a while ago, is the Horn. I really wish Copeland would make it in low Eb some day...
So, I stick to my Yvon Le Coant: that Copeland "horn" type of sound, just warmer and with a stronger low end than my Copeland. Correcting: than my Copeland had.
Anyway, I don't have a choice left: the Copeland was either lost in the Ocean, or in redtape...
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Zubivka wrote: The Copeland, as Beth (Avanutria) coined it a while ago, is the Horn.
So this thread is living testimony to the number of chiffsters who are HORNY
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

F: Generation
Eb: Generation
D: Sindt
C: Sindt
Bb: Generation
A: Overton
G: Overton
F: Kerry Pro
Eb: O'Riordan traveller
D: Overton

/Jens
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Wombat wrote:
Zubivka wrote: The Copeland, as Beth (Avanutria) coined it a while ago, is the Horn.
So this thread is living testimony to the number of chiffsters who are HORNY
*HONK*
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

This is my budget/pocket-friendly list of favourite whistles in the various keys I have (from high to low):

E - Mack whitecap (also fits high Ds) on a white aluminium barrel that he and Gary made. Gary gave Mack some stock of this white tubing quite some time ago; not sure if it's all been used up.
Eb - Gen blue top with only a blu-tac tweak
D - Gen redtop on Feadog tube (trad), Mack whitecap on Gen brass tube (church)
C - Gen blue top with only a blu-tack tweak (trad), Dixon tunable (church)
B - Mack CPVC
Bb - Dixon tunable
A - Dixon tunable
G - Dixon tunable
F - Overton tunable
D - Overton tunable

The above list has been unchanged for quite some time and I'm satisfied. I've got no urge to go seek "better" whistles in the above keys.

In the unnamed keys, I either don't have a whistle, or have whistles that I'm not completely satisfied with for various reasons. Since they are pretty rare keys in any case, I'm not that bothered and can make do with what I have.