LOWer than LowD: ALBA/Overton

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joey_schu
antispam: No

LOWer than LowD: ALBA/Overton

Post by joey_schu »

Ok, I was all set to order a Burke, then I see this monster that ALBA's making. Low C. Anyone have one of these beasts?

And now that I think about it, have I seen a low Bb somewhere, too?

How's it sound? I worry about something with more of the sound of air-moving-thu-a-pipe than of tone. If this is decent, though, it WILL BE my next whistle...

Worth it?

-Joey
Last edited by joey_schu on Fri May 14, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

Ok, I just got back from Collin Goldie's website. He has even more options below D. Where have I been?

Anyone try any of these? I think the Overton Low D is about as breathy as I want to go. These would, I suppose, be even MORE breathy...? But, man, that low G must RUMBLE!

You think moreso than the ALBA Low C?

-Joey
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I know of one or two people that have low C's from Alba. They like them. I am not sure about Overton, but I am sure someone does.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Kuranes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kuranes »

Stacy also makes Albas in Low Bb and Low A.
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

I've got a Low C from Alba. It's a very sweet whistle indeed. I've also got an older Chieftain low Bb whistle. Lots of fun to pull it out and play a jig on, folks at session keep asking what bus I stole the tailpipe from. The C is nowhere near as monstrous as the Bb (the Bb is 4" longer), though you've still got to have decent sized hands.

I know Overton makes the big boys also, and I've heard that Colin will go *very* low on request (G?).
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
joey_schu

Post by joey_schu »

hey michael,

how does the alba low c sound in the second octave? is it easy enough to get all the notes up there? are they all in tune?

thanks,

-joey
Paul

Post by Paul »

Joey, The Alba Low C is fantastic. I have one and I love it. It has a solid and balanced tone through both octaves and is beautiful and distinctive looking at as well. You should definitely put one of these on your short list.

All notes are easy to play and in tune.

Good luck!
-Paul

Here's some pics:

size comparison to Copeland:

Stacey's cool fipple art: FUN! :party:
pizak

Low low whistle

Post by pizak »

Daniel Bingamon of the Jubilee Instrument company is just about to send a Bass whistle out on tour:

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums/v ... .php?t=744

The first is a Bass-G (G below Low D), followed by a Low Low D (D below Low D).

Sounds very cool...

Paul
kevin m.

More piping than an oilrig!

Post by kevin m. »

I have an Alba tunable low 'C',and they are so manageable for a BIG whistle (and I've got puny mits too),that I sent the headpiece back to Stacey so she can re-fit a LOW Bb and 'A' body to it.
That should be quite some set!!! :o
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Stacy joined the ranks of the "Low-down" whistlemakers several months ago. So someone should check out her Low-Low-A.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Joey

I have a low A by Overton...big yoke, but not too heavy on the air requirements.
Takes about half an hour to warm up properly, and needs bigger/fatter fingers than mine for fast playing.

I'll stick to the pipes :wink:

Boyd

http://cmrt.org.uk/WALK.HTM
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: More piping than an oilrig!

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

kevin m. wrote:I have an Alba tunable low 'C',and they are so manageable for a BIG whistle (and I've got puny mits too),that I sent the headpiece back to Stacey so she can re-fit a LOW Bb and 'A' body to it.
That should be quite some set!!! :o
Yes tis true Keven I'm working on it just now and making a new batch O low C/Bb/A'sby the way thanks for your 8) patience & PATRONAGE :wink:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I have an original model Alba low C, i.e. the type with a Quena-like crescent-shaped blade, and a large head sleeved over the main tube.
Very warm, mellow sound. Booming low end. Very easy finger stretch (better than most low D's I tried). I also had an Overton C, but couldn't handle the wider stretch. I liked its lower breath requirements, but it clogged here in damp cool Bretagne. Then I got the Alba, so I sold the Overton to a piper friend who plays it qute well. I don't look back: a year and a half later, I love this Alba C, and it's all the low C I ever wanted. It's also my favourite aluminium whistle. Though...

Matters get complicated: there's also a newer, simplified design Alba "Q1" low C. Trisha owns one, and I understand she likes it. If it is a bit as good as Alba's high D "Q1" it makes sense. Aarrr, WhOA on me...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I briefly played a Low, Low A by Colin Goldie loaned to me by Jim Dunn. It caused cracks in my home's foundation. (I have sued Colin for damages.)

As previously reported, my fingers were not long enough for the task (which makes me feel profoundly adequate in a way more profound than I can describe. This is a second item in my lawsuit against Colin).

I had to run a piece of black electrical tape and cover all of the holes to hear the Low A sound. Then, when I removed the tape, it snapped up and hit me in the eye, temporarily making my eyes water. (Item 3 in the lawsuit.)

The makers of these instruments, and the players who purchase them, might be interested in reading certain papers by Sigmund Freud.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Alba Q1 Low C...great whistle, plays loud or soft, fast or slow, easy breathe requirements, easy stretch (relatively)!

Overton Bass A - I'm with Dale, there's a Bernard one in my storecupboard...I can more or less finger it bar the bottom note, BUT playing it for any length of time would take serious commitment....and an extendable digit. Back to Freud again.

Trisha