philosophy and insanity

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Post by Guest »

cowtime wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:
cowtime wrote:You people need to go fix some fence, work some cattle and then go to the dentist and after all that - you WILL know that you exist! (If not immediately then the next morning when you attempt to get out of bed.
cowtime, you're either a brute for punishment, or a real missionary! It doesn't work to hire educated fools out on the ranch. I always have to redo everything. You can't get them to stop talking.

Ah...maybe you have some cowboy tricks to get duffers off their ass? :wink: Nice plan! Hey, let me know if you need some help.

Analyze this: are taxes real?
I AM a brute for punishment. Around here, we do everything ourselves. Once in a rare while we get help, and it's usually neighbors.

BUT, hopefully, in two weeks that will ALL change.
That's when our 240 acre Virginia Century Farm(been continuously farmed by the same family for at least 100 yrs) , plus our Craftsman Bungalow, plus the vineyard, plus the winery- in short everything, will be auctioned off. Providing we get our minimums anyway.

The cattle left over a month ago :sniffle: :D (mixed emotions here)

Then , maybe, I'll actually have time to paint again, get some R&R, and PLAY MORE MUSIC!!!

I will definately exist, just in a more "normal" world.
Don't, pulease don't let sell your life! I remember an old timer in Ireland on one of my prolonged visits who was still fiddling and working his farm at the age of 70 something, and he would always say when he had a few that the music was a hobby but the farm a way of life. The money isn't a way of life, it's just paper.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

toasty wrote:
cowtime wrote:
Lorenzo wrote: cowtime, you're either a brute for punishment, or a real missionary! It doesn't work to hire educated fools out on the ranch. I always have to redo everything. You can't get them to stop talking.

Ah...maybe you have some cowboy tricks to get duffers off their ass? :wink: Nice plan! Hey, let me know if you need some help.

Analyze this: are taxes real?
I AM a brute for punishment. Around here, we do everything ourselves. Once in a rare while we get help, and it's usually neighbors.

BUT, hopefully, in two weeks that will ALL change.
That's when our 240 acre Virginia Century Farm(been continuously farmed by the same family for at least 100 yrs) , plus our Craftsman Bungalow, plus the vineyard, plus the winery- in short everything, will be auctioned off. Providing we get our minimums anyway.

The cattle left over a month ago :sniffle: :D (mixed emotions here)

Then , maybe, I'll actually have time to paint again, get some R&R, and PLAY MORE MUSIC!!!

I will definately exist, just in a more "normal" world.
Don't, pulease don't let sell your life! I remember an old timer in Ireland on one of my prolonged visits who was still fiddling and working his farm at the age of 70 something, and he would always say when he had a few that the music was a hobby but the farm a way of life. The money isn't a way of life, it's just paper.
It's not a matter of money verses a way of life. It's a matter of life itself and it's quality. It's a matter of my husband's health.

He has worked this land since he was a little boy and been allergic to everything here. 47 years of this constant exposure has finally culminated in allergies so severe that it makes his life miserable, has caused two surgeries so far. The last one was delicate and took him about two months to semi-recover from. This finally convinced him that what we have is not worth a thing if he's under it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

This question of whether we exist is not particularly interesting to me. What I am interested in is knowing whether food exists. Food, in general, and Cheetos in particular.

Anyone?
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

DaleWisely wrote:This question of whether we exist is not particularly interesting to me. What I am interested in is knowing whether food exists. Food, in general, and Cheetos in particular.

Anyone?
That depends on how you define "Cheetos."
/Bloomfield
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Bloomfield wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:This question of whether we exist is not particularly interesting to me. What I am interested in is knowing whether food exists. Food, in general, and Cheetos in particular.

Anyone?
That depends on how you define "Cheetos."
Well, Cheetos are hard to define. But, I know them when I taste them.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I'd say that the above photo is a firm argument against the truism that you are what you eat.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Nah, Nano, that's just a version of The Yellow Tinker being played on a squirelly whistle.
http://www.cranfordpub.com/tunes/Irish/YellowTinker.htm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Philosophy's a little like pickled okra: it's sour, and sort of prickly, but once you chew it up, it's not especially hard to swallow.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:Philosophy's a little like pickled okra: it's sour, and sort of prickly, but once you chew it up, it's not especially hard to swallow.
Every time I try it, I swear I'll never touch it again. (Philosophy, that is, not pickled okra.)
Last edited by Darwin on Tue May 11, 2004 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

On okra:

"Never trust a vegetable that swallows before you do."

--attributed to Benjamin Franklin
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

What's the name and author of the book?

Is it Durant? Because Durant rocks.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm