OT - Going on a Diet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
antstastegood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by antstastegood »

Today's weight is 140. (I'm 6'2'') I also managed 8 (legitimate) push-ups before crapping out. I figure I'll try and add about 30 or so to both of those numbers.

Plan of attack:

1. Get up at 6 a.m. to go to the gym. :evil:
2. Eat more of that cafeteria food, if it can be called food.
3. Do some serious swimming down at the ocean whenever I can get down there (probably once or twice a week)
4. Ideas???

This is going to be a long summer.

Best of luck to everyone. :D
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

antstastegood wrote:Today's weight is 140. (I'm 6'2'') I also managed 8 (legitimate) push-ups before crapping out. I figure I'll try and add about 30 or so to both of those numbers.

Plan of attack:

1. Get up at 6 a.m. to go to the gym. :evil:
2. Eat more of that cafeteria food, if it can be called food.
3. Do some serious swimming down at the ocean whenever I can get down there (probably once or twice a week)
4. Ideas???
Join the Army. (I coulda said Marines, but I don't hate you.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Jerry Freeman wrote:A guy wakes up in a coffin. He thinks to himself, "If I'm alive, what am I doing here? On the other hand, if I'm dead, why do I have to go to the bathroom?"
Wasn't there a recent post about the Irish wake coming about due to the discovery that people were being buried alive with some frequency?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Due to the amazing success of a couple of my friends, I'm about to try my luck with the Atkins diet.
If it fails, I do know an alternative that absolutely works.
http://www.dietpower.com/
DietPower is a fantastic piece of software, and the price is very reasonable... and it really does work if you use it correctly!
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Ok, I am totally pissed off. This having a baby thing makes the things that used to work, not work! I have been consuming few calories for about a week and I have not lost an ounce. Geez! I am going to have to take an alternate approach...I haven't figured out which yet. I know, I know, exercise. But frankly, I don't sleep enough to be able to exercise, even if I didn't hate it so much. Why the hell is my body holding onto all this excess?!? Freakin' pregnancy!
~JessieD
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

Jessie,
It could be you're not eating enough and your body is going into starvation mode, holding onto everything it can. Try eating a few smaller sized meals 5-6 times a day, healthier food choices. Get out and take the little one for a walk for 1/2 an hour and see what happens. Just a suggestion--things I learned at Curves.

And yes, pregnancy does make things not work the same anymore. Sorry. ;)

Caroline
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Hmm...every time I ate few calories before (not starving myself, but not eating enough to maintain this horrid weight), I lost weight. Hmph!!!

I want something easy and mindless...I'm so tired. Maybe I'll do weight watchers...I like that points thing. But calories are fun to count, too. Maybe I'll eat a bunch of frozen dinners. It's easy to count calories when they are written on a package. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the advice, Caroline.
~JessieD
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I hate to say it, but what worked in your teens and 20s are not going to work anymore so you better try something new. It gets a lot worse later.
I could go on and on, and so could everybody else, but trust me, it's true.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

I believe in your technique Jessie, it's all about calories really. A few years ago I went on a calorie diet and lost about 25 pounds in a few months. This week-end I realized I was like 10 pounds over, so there goes a diet again.

I know that half a bagel is 150 calories, plus peanut butter 50 calories, glass of milk, 80 calories, and so on. At the end of the day, if you are taking less calories than you are actually burning, you will lose fat. The problem is that when you get older, you burn less calories. What's tough about a calories diet is that first of all you need to handle hunger, you need to be able to be comfortable with it. Also, a pound of fat is about 3000 calories, so you won't lose a pound per day, especially that an average human being burns about 2000 calories per day, which makes you lose a pound every 5 days if you reduce your intake to 1400 calories per day. This is what I'm usually losing in my diets.

Some people say that it all depends what you mix your food with, how well you eat, etc etc. I read a lot about this and for me it's really simple, if you eat something that contains 500 calories, no matter what you do with it, if you don't burn it it will become fat, no matter if you mix it with potatoes or rice or tomatoes.

Finally, practice is to music what willpower is to diets ;-)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm afraid what you are discovering is what many who are overweight already know: the nice 1:1 relation between calories eaten and weight gained or lost that works so well in textbooks sometimes does not work at all in real life.

That's not to say it can't be done. Just don't look at numbers too much; they are discouraging, for precisely the reason that they don't reflect real life.

--James
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote:This week-end I realized I was like 10 pounds over, so there goes a diet again.
Less mayonaise Az

Whatever you do don't eat like I do!!
No I'm not returning...
Marko

Post by Marko »

this is a great idea.
I've been steadily putting on weight since my finals, about 2 years ago. I've been looking at old pictures and I can barely recognise myself.

My diet goes as follows.
Breakfast: 2 slices brown bread toasted, with margerine
Lunch: Apple or Orange
Dinner: Proper meal (ish), but no potatos, rice, or pasta.

My problem is I drink about 6-8 cups of coffee a day. I take it unsweetened and caffeine free, but I dont know what type of milk im using (its in the cafeteria at work)
Should I try to quit this do you think? or start drinking it black (yuck)?

I'm also in the gym 2-3 times a week, doing lots of jogging, etc.
Oh and im hiking in scotland next week so hopefully that'll shock my system into burning some fat.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

OK, here goes.

I believe we're encouraged to post our weekly results.

Starting data
Wednesday, May 5 starting weight: 166 lbs.
Goal weight: 146 - 150 lbs.
Height: 5' 8"
Starting BMI (Body Mass Index) 25.2

1 week data
Wednesday, May 12 weight: 163 lbs.
This week's weight loss: 3 lbs.
Total weight loss: 3 lbs.
BMI: 24.8

So there's my first milestone. My BMI has gone down from 25.2 to 24.8, which is just barely within the upper end of the normal range.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

You bas&^%#% Jack! Actually, I got light mayonnaise in here, which is what, 60 calories per spoon or so. I think the hot-dog itself is more damageable :-)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yay Jerry!!

The calories thing has worked for me as recently as a few years ago. I am still only 27, but my body is definitely different after having the baby. (I will be curious to see what happens with monthly hormonal changes once they start, because, as many of you will remember, I used to get SERIOUS PMS.)

I am going to keep trying the calorie thing for another week before I decide to do something different. As for exercise, waking up a million times in the middle of the night, carrying a growing infant AND the extra weight on my own body - it's exercise. What a wimp I am.

But it is interesting to see that, though I was a lazy person all my life, I never let her cry. I always take care of her needs promptly. I am proud of myself for that.
~JessieD