tinwhistling in Wisconsin

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
telaine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

tinwhistling in Wisconsin

Post by telaine »

Hi I a tinwhistle player and a reporter working on a story about tinwhistling for kids. I am looking for teachers and players (especially kids!) in the Fox Valley and Green Bay area. An adult who has played since he/she was a kid would be a great source, too. If you know of someone or another source for this information, please reply. Thanks much!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Bumping this thread up! Hey! You cold-weather types! Any help here?
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Ya hey dere, don't know of any whistlers way up nort dere by Packerland, eh. I'm in Southern Wisconsin and haven't met too many other Wisconsin whistlers. Only thing I can offer you is the Irish Cultural and Heritage Center of Wisconsin that's in Milwaukee - don't know if they'd have any contacts up in that area or not.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/ICHCWISCONSIN/

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
kcdwhistler

tin whistle

Post by kcdwhistler »

Hello, here in Appleton, previously of Milwaukee. How can I help?
Steven

Post by Steven »

Isn't Nancymae from somewhere up in central or northern WI? Nancy? You there?

:-)
Steven
rkottke

Try the UW Green Bay

Post by rkottke »

I got into a beginner's whistle class in Madison via the UW Extension. Check with UW-Green Bay, they just might have something. :D
telaine

Re: Try the UW Green Bay

Post by telaine »

I checked the UWGB and Fox Valley catalogues but I didn't see anything. I did e-mail at professor at the Fox Valley extension so maybe he will be able to help. Thanks for the tip!
Tanya
rkottke wrote:I got into a beginner's whistle class in Madison via the UW Extension. Check with UW-Green Bay, they just might have something. :D
nancymae

I'm Here!!

Post by nancymae »

Howdy all from Wisconsin!! Glad to meet you all!! I was out of town this weekend...down in LaCrosse for an art show...met another whistler down there!!! He reads the posts on this site, but hasn't signed up yet....if you are out there...COME AND JOIN THE INSANITY!! I had a wonderful time listening to his music...it was raining..and there wasn't many visitors...but it was good to find another whistler....there aren't many here in WI....but we are here!! My husband groaned as he played "Off to California" for us...as hubby has heard it many a time!!! (The only song I know by heart!!)

We should try and get together sometime this summer and have a little "session" of our own. I live about 70 miles northwest of Green Bay and travel there frequently...for shopping. Would love to get together with everyone.....maybe some of you brave souls in IL would like to join us too!!

So, welcome Tanya and KCDWhistler....would love to meetcha!!!

I wrote Tanya a PM....and told her of a really cool Irish band by the name of Poor Man's Labour...they play alot in Kewaunee at The Cork. Maybe we could all meet there!! Would be very cool!!

I'm soooo excited....OTHER WHSITLERS IN WISCONSIN!! YEAH!!!!

Nancymae
(Isolated in Crivitz, WI)
Also, previously from Milwaukee
nancymae

Forgot on more thin

Post by nancymae »

Irishfest is coming to Milwaukee in late August...another possible meeting and noodling place???????

Just a thought. I'm definately going to be there!! The biggest Irish gathering in North America I am told!!

PLease let me know if there are whistling classes in Green Bay...would love to go if during a weekend. (I work, ick, during the week!!)

I'm shutting up now..and going to go and get my whistle!!

Nancymae
Caru

Post by Caru »

I'm in Green Bay, and have played (or attempted to) since fifth grade -- I got my first whistle when my mom and I went to rent a violin for school.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Telaine,
you could contact Chelcy Bowles, Associate Professor of Music
and Director of Continuing Education in Music at the UW-Madison
at cbowles@dcs.wisc.edu. Although Madison based, she is an active
player of Irish music and may well know of contacts in the Fox Valley
and Green Bay.

Cheers,

Colin
rkottke

More possibilites

Post by rkottke »

Additional possiblities might be found at The Celtic Music Association
of Madison, Wisconsin. http://celticmadison.org/music/. Some of their links are state-wide.

You can also check the Shamrock Club of Wisconsin at http://www.angelfire.com/wi/shamrockclu ... age65.html
rebl_rn

Re: Forgot on more thin

Post by rebl_rn »

nancymae wrote:Irishfest is coming to Milwaukee in late August...another possible meeting and noodling place???????

Nancymae
A group of us have met at Irish Fest for the last couple of years - it is great to meet everyone from the Midwest and wherever else. I am sure we will plan something as it gets closer to IF time. People, SERIOUSLY consider making the trip up here behind the cheddar curtain for Irish Fest - it really is a fabulous experience.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
janice

Post by janice »

Colin, you beat me to it...I was going to suggest Chelsea Bowles-she founded that program. Her husband's quite a fine upiper too.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Janice wrote:
"Colin, you beat me to it...I was going to suggest Chelsea Bowles-she founded that program. Her husband's quite a fine upiper too."

Hi Janice,
yes, Bill is a good piper and whistle player. Between the two
of them I reckoned they might have numerous contacts around the state.

Cheers,

Colin