Davy Spillane's whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

will check it out. :)
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Since you didn't mention it, I presume you do not have a Burke AL-PRO low D (or C) to compare it with.

If you ever get a chance, check one of those out. I had a very hard time putting it down (except to get something to eat) the day I got it.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

fancypiper wrote:Check out "Forgotten Days" for something you could more consider a classic. That is currently on my purchase list for Spillane merchandise.
Now that one irritates me. I had to give away my copy. :) Many people love it, though. The only track i liked was "Lark in the Morning". Somehow the pipes and fiddle together create a lot of tension in that CD.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

fancypiper wrote:would you happen to have a Michael Burke AL PRO low D to compare it to?

I can't imagine a whistle made by anyone that would beat that, plus you can offset the holes and play it standing up.
Just try and consider some people don't like the low back-pressure and/or sound of these.

Overtons--and related--whistles are just the opposite.

I'm not taking sides here, just underlining you're selling apples to one asking for oranges.

As for playing standing up, you just puzzle me... I just didn't think any brand wouldn't allow it. Even thought it's the standard preferable way on any whistle.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

The only way I can make my short, stubby fingers fit the holes with the holes in line is to rest the whistle on my right leg and stretch my elbows way out (more than on the pipes), plus I have Dupuytrens Contracture in both hands, my right hand has had 2 fingers operated on to straighten them out so I could finger a ghost D and the E again on my bagpipes, so there is some physics involved.

I have never seen anyone perform on low whistle standing up either in concert or in a session. All sit and rest it on one leg.

I have a friend that has an Overton, a Copeland, and several other big name low whistles.

Most took much more air than the Burke and were much harder to play in tune. I was amazed at the poor E tunings and flat upper octaves of most of those big name whistles.

Do you play your low whistles standing up?
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

glauber wrote:Now that one irritates me. I had to give away my copy. :)
Can I make friends with you and take the next good CD off your hands that you don't like? I might even have a half-dozen or so that I don't like that you might like. I have several big-name CDs that never get put in my CD player and I hate to have them wasted.
glauber

Post by glauber »

fancypiper wrote:
glauber wrote:Now that one irritates me. I had to give away my copy. :)
Can I make friends with you and take the next good CD off your hands that you don't like?
Sure, i can always use a new friend!

I don't know what it is. A fiddler friend of mine said that the fiddle and the pipes are just a little bit off synch or playing slightly different settings. I guess it's a taste thing. I'd normally like stuff like that more than the new agey stuff.

I like your Old Bush CD samples at CDBaby.
http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

fancypiper wrote:I have never seen anyone perform on low whistle standing up either in concert or in a session. All sit and rest it on one leg.
...and later...snip...Do you play your low whistles standing up?
Yep!! Sitting while playing is going to reduce the ability of your diaphragm to efficiently deliver a supply of air. It's hard to argue against sitting down when there are many pros that play great that way, but several of us prefer to play standing up (and with whistles heavier than Burkes, I might add).

Jef

PS I smell a poll question ;)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

fancypiper wrote:
I have never seen anyone perform on low whistle standing up either in concert or in a session. All sit and rest it on one leg.
Hmmm... strange. I always play low whistle standing up in concert or recording. My breathing and comfortability is much better that way. I've seen plenty of people play low whistle in concert while standing. As for sessions, nobody plays standing during a session because everyone is around the table. On the other hand, nobody really plays low whistle in the sessions around here. It's eaither high whistle or flute. Low whistle is more or less a no-go in the sessions (partly because it can't be heard).

This "resting the whistle on the leg" thing is something I've never seen. Doesn't make much sense to me in terms of posture, breath support, basic comfort or tone.

Best,
Chris
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Low whistle is more or less a no-go in the sessions (partly because it can't be heard).
I can think of worse traits in an instrument. ;-)

A couple of comments:

- I too prefer standing up while playing low whistle. Hold whistle in hands, cover holes with fingers, place mouthpiece in mouth, and hey presto! :)

- Regarding Burke alu low Ds, I agree with Zubivka. Not everyone likes the low backpressure of Burkes. I for one sold my Burke low D.

- I like some of Davy's CDs. "Forgotten Days" is a nice CD. His old collaborative effort with Andy Irvine, "East Wind" is great. Also, I remember "Pipe Dreams" as being good, but haven't listened to it in a few years...

Jens
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Zubivka wrote:
fancypiper wrote:would you happen to have a Michael Burke AL PRO low D to compare it to?
Just try and consider some people don't like the low back-pressure and/or sound of these.

Overtons--and related--whistles are just the opposite.
Which, I guess is why I find both my Burke and Ovations equally indispensible.

waitingame
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

waitingame wrote:Which, I guess is why I find both my Burke and Ovations equally indispensible.
I agree, using both low-pressure and high-pressure whistles for different musics.
amar

Post by amar »

i love the sound of the overton, but I tried out one of em, at the last session, a tunable goldie lowD, waaaaaay too much back pressure for me, I couldn't handle it, I'm used to low back pressure. Might contact colin of these days to make me an easy blower.

fancypiper, I checked out the cd you recommended, I really missed the low whistle, it's almost pipes only....

I still vote for the storm, by moving hearts as a classic.
:)
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Oh, yeah, this is a low whistle discussion rather than UP :oops:

You would be more interested in The Irish Low Whistle by Joe McKenna, wouldn't you?

A couple of years and you will have a bagpipe set on order.. :twisted:
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Jens_Hoppe wrote: His old collaborative effort with Andy Irvine, "East Wind" is great. Also, I remember "Pipe Dreams" as being good, but haven't listened to it in a few years...
Probably for good reason. Poor tunes and odd mixtures of instruments and some of the worse didgeridoo mixture in it that I have heard.

A SASE from someone will get somebody "East Wind" It is what I consider elevator music.
Last edited by fancypiper on Tue May 11, 2004 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.