A MODEST PROPOSAL

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: rating idea uhm......

Post by Crysania »

Berti66 wrote:hmmmm
what do other newbies think.

berti
I'd leave. It would be like a little exclusive clique/club. Not the kind of place I'd want to be.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Steven

Post by Steven »

I must say I don't like this idea at all. First, it would be logistically monstrous. Who would do all that assessing? Who would have the time to take all the tests? Major nightmare.

Also, it would immediately lead to a strong sense of elitism. It would be saying "these few people are worthy, all these other people aren't worth crap." Also, personally I don't feel the need to take a test to tell me whether I'm worthy to have an opinion on something. I also don't feel the need to know how someone else did on such a test when I read what they have to say. Frankly, if someone makes a boneheaded opinion statement on this board, it doesn't stand for long before lots of other people have shot it down. Anyone who sees this happening will not be very likely to take that opinion as gospel.

Finally, people know what to expect on the internet. Some good information, some garbage. This applies to message boards too. Caveat emptor -- people should be able to recognize an opinion and know to take it with a grain of salt, at least until it's confirmed by lots of other people.

This proposal, even if it could be implemented, would make this a very unfriendly place and would kill the spirit of it. Besides, I haven't really seen any major problems arising from newbies being given opinions here. I say no.

Steven
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Actually, Crysania, I don't think I'd be far behind you.

The board at their best are an open, peer-to-peer discussion, where we all stand equal, from the beginner to the advanced.

Change that, and you'll see the whole personality of the board change, and I don't think for the better.

--James
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Whew, for a while there I thought I'd been fooled by an elaborate joke, but it seems folks are taking this seriously.

Bad, bad idea, it will do nothing but drive folks away.

And what are you trying to solve?

If you're a knowledgeable person, you'll be able to tell if I'm spouting BS or not. A little icon next to my name that indicates someone thought I was a decent player on one tune won't change that.

If you're a newbie, you should be be careful who you believe anyway. I've known some awfully smart folks with PhD's spew out some pretty ignorant opinions. Being reviewed by a panel didn't help them.

If you're trying to address the recent outbursts, I'd say there's two issues:

1) It's just plain hard at times to communicate this way. Much of the subtly of human interaction is lost when you reduce it to ASCII. Before typing off a flame try to consider the original intentions of the poster and their particular writing style.

2) Some folks feel newbies are wrong by the mere fact they're newbies. Sorry, arguments from authority have never convinced me. If I post something idiotic, feel free to point it. But prove it, telling me I'm wrong because you're better than I am won't convince me.

For example when David Migoya posts regarding a Rudall-Rose, I pay attention. Is that because some clique of folks have bestowed upon him the right to post regarding RR's? No, it's because he's proven over and over again he knows what he talking about and is worth listening too.

Sorry to you use as an example David, if you're reading this.

This board has worked well for a good while, don't go screwing it up.

Eddie
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

If you're a newbie, you should be be careful who you believe anyway. I've known some awfully smart folks with PhD's spew out some pretty ignorant opinions. Being reviewed by a panel didn't help them.
I'd have to second that (being guilty on all counts......I'll getcha Eddie)

Beside its much more statistically relevant to judge on the basis of the avatars anyway! Count 'em and see! (Eddie and I, for instance have picked them to reflect our conservative and well informed viewpoints...well, Eddie did...I just thought mine was handsome!)

Jack
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Jack Bradshaw wrote: I'd have to second that (being guilty on all counts......I'll getcha Eddie)

Beside its much more statistically relevant to judge on the basis of the avatars anyway! Count 'em and see! (Eddie and I, for instance have picked them to reflect our conservative and well informed viewpoints...well, Eddie did...I just thought mine was handsome!)

Jack
Ha, just search Google's archive of USENET to see some of the stupid things I've said over the years. But be careful, if you get too rough I'll dig out that photo of you from East Durham!

Actually, my avatar is closest match I could find that looked like me without being me. However my fur is slightly darker.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Monster">Me Want Cookie!</a>

Eddie
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:

Jack
I picked mine because I think my dog is just too cute...I think I need to get out more. ;)

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
mat

Post by mat »

beowulf573 wrote:Whew, for a while there I thought I'd been fooled by an elaborate joke, but it seems folks are taking this seriously.

Eddie
You were my freind, and it seems you werent the only one!
I was hoping to be able to sit back and enjoy reading the occasional 'outpouring of moral indignation' by those who failed to recognise it as being very tongue in cheek; come on the pipers comment must have given it away? What I didnt expect was for people to actually start agreeing!!!!!!! ARGH WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

Seriously, Crysania you said you'd leave if this ever happened. Well me too.

Not that it ever would.

Would it? :-?

Sorry if I have ruffled anyones feathers, I am a bad bad toad. :roll:
Last edited by mat on Wed May 05, 2004 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mat

Post by mat »

Oh and three cheers to BIGTEX for by far the most entertaining response! :wink:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, we might eat a couple of babies...but only
a couple, mind you. Best
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I haven't been on here long enough to really note different people's personalities and what they might or might not do...I just kinda flit in and out when I have the time to check things out. Glad no one was serious about it!

~Crysania
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mat, count my serious reply as an exercise in erring on the side of gullibility.

Now, where's that puff pastry I squirrelled away in the freezer?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I too find I am gullible.

Please don't sell me any more bridges or cheesy-flutes.

:oops: :P

--James
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

mat wrote: You were my freind, and it seems you werent the only one!
My hat's off then, normally I'm pretty good about picking the wheat from the chaff. I even read <a href="http://www.snopes.com">snopes</a>. It's good to get caught every once in a while, keeps me humble.

I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet, but just the one. :D

Eddie
David Levine

Ratings, chancers, and Don Miguel Ruiz

Post by David Levine »

Don't we accept or reject comments made by people whose expertise we trust? Don't we trust other players according to how well they play? There are idiot-postings to this list on a continued basis. Many come from people who, because of the anonymity afforded by this site, feel free to, as Andrew would say, spew forth vomitus. They wouldnt do this if they were at a session where people could know who they are.
Wouldn't it be nice to know how seriously we should take what people say, based on how well they play?
I doubt this could be managed, but wouldn't it be nice? Or is this site supposed to be a safe haven for chancers?
My wife says I'm crazy to take seriously anything said here. She says all we have to do is heed the Four Agreements of Don Miguel Ruiz. And play more.