Sad and angry tunes.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Sad and angry tunes.

Post by Henke »

Has anyone got some tunes for bitter sadness that can be played very sensitivelly to wet the eyes of audience and player alike?
And tunes for angryness and rage? I would love to know of some. I haven't found anything quite satisfying yet, and I'm not much of a composer. Please help me out if you have some nice ones, I just can't bring myself to play black metal stuff. :boggle:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

"Leaving Glasgow" seems moderately successful on the weep-response scale. Then again, it may just be how badly I play it. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

"The Ten Penny Bit" (jig) always sounds rather angry/driving to me. It's not the range, since "The Blackthorn Stick", another jig that spends a lot its time in the second octave feels pretty relaxed. My tuppence worth.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tunes in A minor and A mixolydian have a hungry, intense, edgy quality to me, yet B minor by comparison does not nearly so. Hmmm.

For sad: The May Morning Dew in D (gotta half-hole that upper Fnat if you've got no keys). It can be played in Em, too, but I think that D gives it a brooding quality.

For angry/spooky: Pull the Knife and Stick It Again à la Larry Nugent. Check the last track on his Windy Gap CD. The slip jig preceding it is pretty good for intensity, and then he plays PTNASIA in A minor. It's usually played in E minor, but the A minor version is très Halloween.
Michel

Post by Michel »

"the flooded road to glenties" is a savage,angry,shmelly b minor reel.
i'm pretty sure you can find the abc somewhere, even if it's not a
old tune(actually I don't know who composed it).Paul Bradley recorded it, as well as befast flute player davy maguire.i love it!
mat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mat »

The Kerryman is a reel particularly suited (in my humble opinion) to being played slow and with bags of feeling.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't think tunes get much sadder or more melancholy than "A Parting of Friends."

--James
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Kevin Crawford said somthing like"...the most mournful, miserable,wreched tune you could play..." refering to "The Wounded Hussar."
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Eanach Dhúin (AKA Eanach Chuin) seems sad to me--and more so if you think about the topic of the song: "A lament by the poet Raferty (1789-1835) for eleven men and eight women who were drowned in Lough Corrib near Annaghdown (Eanach Dhúin) on their way to Galway with a cargo of sheep."

Do You Remembet That Night? is another with a sad tale to match the tune: "The verses were composed by a widow whose husband had drowned bringing her cousins across the Shannon on their wedding night."

Amhrán na Leabhar (Song of The Book, AKA Cuan Bheil Inse) can be made to sound pretty plaintive, though I don't know what the original topic was.

(Quotes are from Waltons Ireland's Best Slow Airs.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Steven

Post by Steven »

Cathal McConnell wrote a slow air that appears on his solo CD "Long Expectant Comes At Last" called "Leaving Waverly Park." The liner notes say it came about during a time of domestic trouble, when he was looking for a new place to live, and when he sat down with his flute this tune just came out. Hard to get more melancholy than that!! Plus it's a lovely tune.

:-)
Steven
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I have a hard time hearing "angry" in most traditional music of this sort I listen to. Maybe the first part of the Growling Old Man and Grumbling Old Woman (if that's the right title) but even so, it doesn't sound all that angry. Compare Irish or American trad music with some jazz where the musicians play short choppy phrases, saxophones screech out of the normal range and drummers drop bombs all over the place. That sounds angry. To me, a lot of the angriness comes from the phrasing. As I mentioned, it's short and choppy and explosive, much the same as angry speech. A Strathspey in a minor key can sound sort of stormy but I still don't hear anger in them.

Steve
Henke

Post by Henke »

Thanks very much guy's. I'll definately check these tunes out.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Leon's Waltz, by Loretto Reid
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

how did you dredge this thread up, Annie? :o
kenny

Composer

Post by kenny »

"The Flooded Road To Glenties" was composed by the late, great fiddler Jimmy McHugh, [RIP],long-time resident of Glasgow.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"