tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JimmyM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JimmyM »

Mechanical Engineer, husband of a quilter, father of 2 daughters. C+F lurker.

Been working away from home through the week in Aberdeen, Scotland for 2 years, picked up whistling, made ace pals.
DaveAuty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I make sure the comprehensive school I work in is spick and span with a team of 12 cleaners. I also make sure the school is securely locked in the evening.
There is plenty of time to play my whistle and the school hall has lovely acoustics...like Raindog I have chased all the mice away! There are plenty of musicians in the school and we often get together for a few tunes.

I also have two kids Peter 18, Lucy 11 and we have a cat called Couscous.

Dave.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveAuty on 2002-02-23 05:39 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm another retired academic (or retard as they might say down south where I used to work). I taught experimental psychology and animal behaviour for ...uhhh...well...a long time. I spend time playing bouzouki, 5-string banjo, whistle, and hammered dulcimer. Reading too.

Steve
Joe

Post by Joe »

I'm an IT / Electronic support engineer looking after a bunch of physicists who do research into really cold stuff. Which means I keep their computers running and build them any electronic bits and pieces they need.
I've got two great kids (8 & 12) and a long suffering partner who has yet to appreciate the finer points of whistling.
My other hobby is keeping bees (that don’t get appreciated either).
Are there any other whistling beekeepers out there?
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-02-23 07:36, Joe wrote:

The whistling beekeeper. There's gotta be a tune there.

Steve
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

What an amazing thread indeed. It's really fun to learn a bit more about the people behind the many now well known names.

Myself, I'm a parson, working now for thirteen years at a vocational school. The young folks there really help you to stay young in a way, but then again make you feel rather old too sometimes.

Then there's of course making music with my band "Morris Open" and one or two other projects such as "Trutz Nachtigall", an ensemble singing songs from the renaissance and early baroque.

Cheers
Claus
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

It's amazing how some questions are so obvious that they never get posted. Very nice thread.
Well, I'm a copywriter in an advertising agency.
Christian
nokturnl_tranz

Post by nokturnl_tranz »

I am just a beginner to the tin whistle, and to message boards, I'm a chef by day and practice the whistle at night. Oh and I think I may be developing WhOA.
christina

Post by christina »

i'm still a full-time student
so..i 'm not included in the economically active population as said in the economics text book.

i love this topic.it's great to know what kind of people do whistling.

someoneownsa farm here!!!!!sorry can't remember her namebut i know it's a
'her'.it must be very interesting to work in farm.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Hello Folks!

Oh this is great!

Does two part time jobs make a whole job?

My first job is to my family. Three children. 18, 14 and 10 years old and to my husband.

My two part time jobs...

I am a CO-music director to my church. As to which I play guitar, mountain dulcimer, whistle and sing and plan and meet and practice and meet and practice and plan... I love this job and I love working with other tallented people in service for the Lord.

My second job ( and more of a seasonal job) is I work for a camp called Geneva Hills.
I am an out-door educator and High Ropes Facilitator. In the out-door ed. department I get to play in the water. I lead an aquatic safari program where I teach the children bio-monitoring. They also get to learn about the aquatic insects and the habitat of the springs and lake in this area.

Aquatics is my favorite subject, but I also teach ... Feathered friends, Geo-detectives, Nature Awareness, Acoustic Ecology, Cultural History and Nature crafts. My hobby other than whistles is geology.

The High Ropes Facilitator job is an obstical course built on very tall telephone poles. We wear harnisses, helmets and sling lines before we go up. This is a really fun, yet challenging job. We go up in the rain, the snow, the summer heat... but not during thunderstorms.. :sad: Do not want to become little human lightning rods.

My dream is to get a little folk group together and acually get payed to perform. Most of it has been volunteer. I have done music and story time in the local library and I have gone into classrooms with my mountain dulcimer and performed. It is so rewarding working with little kids.

From Sunrise... (the children) to sunset... the seniors. I have also performed in nursing homes. Equally as rewarding.

Well this has been fun. Good to get to know you all.

Laura

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hillfolk22 on 2002-02-23 09:16 ]</font>
Jim Frey

Post by Jim Frey »

I'm a body mechanic that works in a busy Emergency Department repairing broken bodies. Formerly an experimental Social Psychologist. Husband to a beautiful nurse and father of five. I use whistle as a stress reliever. Jim
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Nurse in a Maximum security prison by day..part time banjo picker/guitar player at night when it doesn't interfere with whistling. Married,father of 2 grown girls..
Momma

Post by Momma »

I am a new memeber of C&F. I earned my diploma as a business application programmer but the most use I have used it for is to supply sideline advice to my co-workers and friends. I work with school bus routes - with all its glories and pitfalls.

I am a singer is the 'traditional' folk group, 'All In Good Time'. I am a closet (bedroom) whistler, won't go public until I'm satisfied that I won't be sued for rupturing eardrums.

Yes, I am a momma - of three.

Has anyone figured out how to sing after whistling? (or sing while whistling - never mind) Is it a physical impossibility?
Evey

Post by Evey »

I'm a stay at home mom of 3 boys and a girl,ages 2,4,6,and 8. A fine artist ,selling at local art shows (not too much of that these days though with 4 kids),and an aspiring writer/illustrator(greeting cards,children's books-especially poetry).I also love to read,listen to music,and am trying to become a half way decent whistle player.
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

On 2002-02-23 07:36, Joe wrote:

Former beekeeper here!

Lisa- we've been talking about starting a school garden here for years. I was thinking about raised beds with shade coverings. I don't have any experience gardening in this climate- think it'll work?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LittleMy on 2002-02-23 10:06 ]</font>