Next whistle step....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tharker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Next whistle step....

Post by tharker »

I started playing on a tweaked Clarke, bought a Silkstone uPVC, and have recently purchased a Silkstone Alloy D Narrow Bore. (All "high" D) I love them all. Now, I'm curious as to what everyone feels should be "the next move". Should I go to a different key, or maybe take the leap into the Low range?

Thanks,

Tom
Still whistleing and loving every minute of it....
Paul

Post by Paul »

tharker wrote:maybe take the leap into the Low range?
Tom, since you brought it up it's worth persuing. Maybe you ought to go on and get yourself a Low D.
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

It all depends on what stage your playing is at. If you are still at the beginning stage, the next step is to listen to good whistlers and play as much as you can. Find a whistle you like and stick with it. Then you can concentrate on the intricacies of the tunes rather than trying to figure out how to manage the new whistle.

If you can't avoid getting more whistles, an "A" has the advantage of being able to play in D with extra notes below the bottom D. A "C" is useful to accompany singers.

If you have neighbors you hate, a high "G" is in order, but wear ear plugs.
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Why does there have to be a "next stage"? I doubt you have fully exhausted all possibilities on a high D whistle. Keep playing it. Learn nw tunes... whatever you want really.

On the other hand: what is your goal? is there something that eventually you want to play? (ie flute or pipes or something else?)

If so then the next stage depends on that goal.

But there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pick up any instrument and eventually sound good on it.

So if you want to, get an A whistle. Or a Low D. Or a tuba. It's all up to you.
tharker

Post by tharker »

I have two dogs and I can get them to howl pretty good :)

Obviously, I don't plan on giving up on any of the whistles I have. I really don't have a goal I'm shooting for. I already play the trumpet and my wife, the flute. (We were band nerds :D )

Anyway, I'm just curious, since all my foucs has been on the High D, what everyone would suggest would be possibly a different experience. Just to expand the horizons...

Tom
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Well, a few people that I play with kept bugging me that I should learn a "real" instrument, by which they meant one that is more salable, I think.

Let me put it this way: they know the whistle is a real instrument, and respect it, and realize that one could play it exclusively, but they also know that it isn't usually the principle, or main, instrument of players in traditional music. So they told me I should learn pipes or flute, eventually. Or that I would want to learn one of them.
(Well, I already wanted to learn them, so they were right)

I am learning uilleann pipes right now, but I also know that eventually (after a full set) I will get a flute and learn that too.

But (!!), The whistle is still every bit as satisfying to play as any other instrument I play. (trumpet, pipes, umm... other brass... yeah) More so in many ways actually.

So if you are just trying to decide what you want to do next, or what else there is, then I think I have given two good suggestions. (pipes and flute)

But don't knock the idea of sticking with just the whistle (either just high d, or a plethora of keys, high and low) and trying to learn a style, or genre of music. (say ITM, or maybe STM, or anything else you want)

Or you could do both.
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

I didn't really answer your second post... but as a possible small (hehe) horizon stretch, you could start on a low D (or A/G/F as your finger stretch demands).

That would give you a different taste for sound, and get you well started for flute or pipes if that is a goal eventually, or just give you something fun to play.

Now, maybe I am a freak, but I never had a problem playing a low D, right away, and the first one I had was one I made, with a finger stretch much larger than anything you can buy. And I was playing jigs after a couple weeks. (Fast, but not as fast as they should be)
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Tom,

Chieftain Low-D's or alto-G's are very cool. Both keys are great for playing Irish music in general!! Enjoy your search.-Tal
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I got a Hoover Whitecap aluminum A as my fourth whistle--and my first non-D, since I wanted to move slowly in the low-whistle direction. It has a very different sound from the high Ds and is nice for slow airs and blues.

I also have a Burke wide-bore brass C that I'm beginning to enjoy--especially for tunes that go up past second-octave G. That's the one I played today.

I suspect that my next will be a low G. I want a selection of keys that will work with non-ITM material. Since I play a lot of Bluegrass and Old-Timey music, I'm avoiding the flat keys (F, Bb, Eb) for now, and E isn't too useful, so low D will probably follow G.

I'm also trying to get a selection of different materials and makers. So far, I have PVC, steel, wood, brass, aluminum, and, of all things, tin, from seven different makers.

Since I play relatively easy tunes, I don't have any problem with switching between whistles. I normally play just one for an hour or two each day, which gives me time to adjust. The A is the most difficult from the standpoint of fingering, as the distance between the 5th and 6th holes is proportionally long, compared to that between the other holes. That's one thing that's helped me resist going on to even lower whistles. If I get a G, one question I'll be asking is which ones have the most even hole spacing.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Get a bushel of cheap whistles.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
tharker

Post by tharker »

I've always been intrigued by the sound of the Low whistles. (Not just because of Titanic) On some of them, it's very hard to tell whether you're listening to a whistle or a flute. (I like flutes...I married one :D )

I also like the idea of picking up some more types of high whistles. It really didn't occur to me that I haven't even delved into other materials. (i.e. wood, brass, etc)

Thanks to everyone for their help! :)

Tom
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Tom,

Welcome to the wacky world of whistles! Fair warning, when you ask advice here, you may get more than you bargained for. :)

Get whichever whistle makes 'the' sound that draws you ... Low D, A, a Hoover, a Dixon, a Copeland, etc. Most of the sights I've visited have sound clips of some of the instruments offered. I like reading about & listening to the whistles I know my playing will never warrant buying. As one of the least qualified here to offer an opinion (but I love saying "hi" & "welcome") I think the price or key of any whistle is not as important as simply enjoying 'making' music. (I bought a couple of Low D's before moving on to an A .... and I see a Low G in my near future, maybe...)

But ... I am a newbie ... what do I know? :D

Best of luck deciding!
~Judy
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The very fact that you asked the question means you are in trouble. My advice is to buy at least one of everything. That way you can decide for yourself what is good for you. You are going to buy all of them sooner or later so why not now. There is nothing that will help you appreciate how easy it is to learn to play a high D like buying a low D. I just started learning to play a low D that is on loan to me. It is hard to come to grips with it. But I love it and I am going to have to get one of my own. What ever you do you will love it. Just keep whistling.

Ron
rkottke

Get a Generation F

Post by rkottke »

Get a Generation F whistle. For a cheap whistle, it plays beautifully, can easily fit in a pocket, bookbag, or briefcase. You never know when you have a chance to just play the whistle, such as when your significant other just has to stop in a store and you might be waiting for a half hour. Better to play the whistle than to get angry about waiting! :D

The Generation F whistles have been the best buy I have made in a long time...
tharker

Post by tharker »

I'm going to have to sell a few things to buy that many whistles. (Like my soul) :lol:

(Wait, it's not worth that much) :)

Tom