Therapy for the piper

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
piperben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Therapy for the piper

Post by piperben »

I get depression big time when my pipes don't do what they should.I am depressed most of the time these days :cry:
Is their such a person as a Uilleann Therapist. Why don't the bloody things just work when you want them to!!
I think I am sufferering from Uillean Neurosis (Neurosis of the elbow!!!)
I only need to look at a reed the wrong way and it buggers up!!!
I used to be a sax player....Life was simple then.
I'm getting that Fimbling Feeling!
piperben

Post by piperben »

The eye of Burton is upon me :boggle:
I'm getting that Fimbling Feeling!
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

perhaps you may need to come to grips with the fact that you are in an abusive, co-dependant relationship. Think, when you're with the pipes lately, it's all about the pipes then, isn't it? I sure you attentively listen whenever the pipes talk, but do the pipes ever listen to what you have to say? When was the last time you bought or made your pipes something nice, say, a reed? A reed is what the pipes need to go. When have the pipes ever bought you something you need to go, like a car, or prune juice?

No, I'd say your pipes are using you. You need to regulate the time you spend with the old bag. And, of course, she'll argue with you if you try to force her out of her comfort zone. But don't listen to her when she bellows or drones on about how you never take out the garbage or pick up the whistles from their music lessons. You know that what you need to do is important, too...you're strapped for time as well, and you can't be tied down. Letting her know you're not to be walked on is the key, if what you say is actually the case before things slide downhill even farther...you just have to know how to reed her moods.

Yes, unfortunately, I saw this same sad situation on a lifetime movie, I Know My First Name Is Séamús or some such thing. You have to stand up to the pipes, and make it very clear that your feelings count, too, and you're willing to take that stand not just for yourself, but for abused pipers everywhere!
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
danny

Post by danny »

hey ben,keep a bottle of whiskey handy?
kevin m.

Pipes induced Tourette's syndrome?

Post by kevin m. »

Don't know about depression,but since I got my Practice set,I find that I curse and swear a lot more than I used to -usually during my practice time! :twisted:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Golf used to be my major form of emmotional catharsis...now it's the pipes...but I wouldn't have it any other way. And on those occasions where the humidity level is too low to play in tune (not that it often happens in central Florida), I can always add a dram or twelve of Jameson's 1780 Irish Whiskey to take my mind off of being in tune.
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I think you're onto something. Drink enough when playing and before you know it, Poof! you're in tune. Then you can happily play away, oblivious to your trouble. Of course, this could get expensive if others are around to hear and need similar treatment.

Corin
carel

Therapy for the piper

Post by carel »

yes, I agree
drink a lot
Antoine did a good job, thanks

I also have sometimes some problems with my girl
she won't listen
but I found out that I have to listen
listen, tune,listen,tune,listen....
forget the playing for an instant

I am looking for a flat set
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Be warned its never a good idea to use words un :lol: wisely
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I know how you feel, piperben. It's just part of playing this confounded instrument. Anybody who sticks with the pipes for a few years goes through cycles of good and bad times with their reeds.

Instead of feeling blue about it, though, it's best to try to do something, like sending your chanter away to a reed ace, or learning to make a good reed if you're good with tools and have the time for it. Try to accumulate several good ones and keep them handy.

Don't be discouraged, if you want to play the pipes you can find ways to make the blasted things work most of the time.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

It can be frustrating. I have purchased all new reeds before, thinking it was going to solve all my problems and it just added to my frustration.

I have been trying to get mentally prepared to start learning the reed making process. I am good at working with my hands. But I fear this will just add to the frustration.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Learning the reed-making skill takes the fear away from reed adjustment.

I suggest taking a reedmaking class. You will find that your reeds play better than any other reedmaker, but it may take up to 100 attempts for the first "concert" reed.