My braaaain needs help...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My braaaain needs help...

Post by GaryKelly »

So I bought meself a small (really very small!) digital recorder (that's a recording device, not one o' them instruments of the netherworld) so I could record meself playing my various whistles and flutes... a good idea to be sure.

But here's the thing. I play a tune, get the fingers and whistle warmed up. Then switch on the recorder... three bars into the piece it turns to complete ratsh*t!

Switch off the recorder, play the tune without a hitch.

Switch on the recorder... complete dog's dinner again.

Repeat until totally frustrated.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fool my stupid braaain into thinking that the recorder isn't switched on when in fact it is? G's, if I can't play with a tiny box for an audience, how the heck would I fare with a real live human bean in the room? :boggle:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

That's pretty much the way it works, Gary. A guy in one of the slowplayer sessions I went to called it the "listen to this syndrome."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jens_Hoppe

Re: My braaaain needs help...

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

GaryKelly wrote:G's, if I can't play with a tiny box for an audience, how the heck would I fare with a real live human bean in the room? :boggle:
Well, I have only very little experience recording myself, but quite a bit experience playing with others... I can tell you that playing within earshot of other people is something you get used to (more or less), so perhaps it's the case with recording as well?

I suppose an option would be to pour down a couple of pints of your favourite beverage in short order and wait 10 minutes, but to be honest that solution might affect your playing in a bad way too. :D

Cheers,
Jens

PS: What recorder, er, recording device did you buy?
skh

Post by skh »

Leave the device on for the whole practice session. I sometimes get a good version of a tune (to me at least) on the first take, and sometimes only after half an hour or longer.

With human beings, playing a lot in company, but not in a performance situation, does help. Don't stop playing when someone enters the room while you are practising. Practise where other people can hear you (if they agree, of course). Avoid the performer/audience roles, make playing tunes as natural as telling a story or just talking.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

you're saying you're lookin' for an alchemist that can turn sh*t into music...dream on..
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My solution is to turn it on and leave it one every time you play. Eventually it becomes background and you won't be influenced by its presence. Just like anything else, practice an repetition.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

amar wrote:you're saying you're lookin' for an alchemist that can turn sh*t into music...dream on..
Image No I'm not. You been breathing that toxic flatulate again, you crazy Swiss-dood??

I'm saying everything sounds great, nice even tempo, all the right notes in all the right places... Until I switch on the recorder. Then I can't play more than a few bars without losing the plot completely, usually before the end of the A part of the tune.

I said all that in a Swiss accent too, just fer you, Amar me old mucker. Now all I need is Zoob to fire a cow at me and my day is complete :)

Sonja... I'll try leaving the thing on for the whole practice, and see what happens...

Jens: I got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Which works incredibly well, even with its internal microphone. Only drawback is it records in Mono from the mic. (it'll play back MP3s in stereo though). I could justify it not just for home and recording my practice, but for work (it replaces the clunky battery-eating office dictaphone tape machine I used to have to use).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:
amar wrote:you're saying you're lookin' for an alchemist that can turn sh*t into music...dream on..
Image No I'm not. You been breathing that toxic flatulate again, you crazy Swiss-dood??

I'm saying everything sounds great, nice even tempo, all the right notes in all the right places... Until I switch on the recorder.
Well Oh, my goodness! What in the world? do you expect man??? Try a whistle..
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I know!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi Gary,

It's very true at times that we can get in a rut so to speak! I know exactly how you feel here.When the recorder goes on your mind tricks you into thinking that you are giving a performance! I went through that 15-yrs ago! I still record myself even now.

To FIX the problem simply try this:

1- turn on the recorder(CLOSE YOUR EYE'S!!) and just warm up for a few minutes.

2-while it is still on, NOW PLAY THE TUNE!!! :D This is how you trick your mind right back! As times passes you'll get used to the recorder being there and you'll recognize that it's there to TEACH YOU not punish you.

3- Pls remember that before any performance on any given occasion whether small or large. WARMING UP IS THE KEY, BELIEVE ME. -Tal :wink:

P.S. I also own one of those digital recorders. Nice and very CLEAR!
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yeah. Same problem. Everybody's right though. It's a matter of becoming accustomed to it.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

My problem is my wife...

Now, knock it off you guys.

I can play a tune fairly well. Try a duet though..... usually takes a few tries. I mean, you would think I was used to playing with her and all.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

There's only one way for you to get it right. First, do sugery on the on/off switch. Switch the on to off by concentrating like you do when you play the tune perfect. You'll accidently get the wires crossed. You'll think everything is right. Now when you think it's on, it will be off.

Once you discover that the switch is reversed, this method will no longer work. In that case, get yourself real tired so you are relaxed and couldn't care less about it being perfect. Fix some coffee. Place a cup near the mic just to convince you that you really are tired. The very fact that you are playing well, with recorder off, may be a sign you're too sharp and wide awake. If you are truely not tired, go work on lengthy "ate" poems till you are.
amar

Post by amar »

NorCalMusician wrote:My problem is my wife...

need some assistance..? :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

amar wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:My problem is my wife...

need some assistance..? :D
always ready to help a fellow whistler Amar?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I'M NOT ALONE !!!!

Session playing is decent. When we play for fundraisers etc. also credible and on and on. But have someone turn on a recording device anywhere and my brain senses it and shuts down.

Go figure!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.