OT, but somehat music-related -- CD-R lifetimes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT, but somehat music-related -- CD-R lifetimes

Post by Darwin »

There's an article at http://news.independent.co.uk/world/sci ... ory=513486 that talks about how long a CD-R can be expected to last, and it ain't long.

If I read it correctly, we'd best spend our money on CD-RWs if we want our archived music, photos, and other data to last more than a couple of years.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Well...we know vcr tapes have no longevity either...so what now?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Oral tradition is the only thing that lasts.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Lark

Post by Lark »

There have been only 5 methods that have proven to save information for hundreds of years:

1) Write it in a book, and have a monastery of monks copy it periodically in to new books. The danger is that there will start turning up translations penned by everyone that owns a thesaurus

2) Carve the information in to wood or stone, and store it in a dark, dry, safe place. 50 meters below the sands of Egypt is a good spot. Watch out for men with shovels, who may want to put your information on display in a museum

3) Weave it in to a tapestry and hang it in the back of a dark dry church with a alarming lack of bugs, but will have to be specially cleaned every time you want to look at it.

4)Buld a monument that can be seen from space. This method limits the amount of information stored, and is often is subject to wild interpretations.

5) Make it is to a story that becomes a legend of your decedents. You should be warned, often your story about how uncle Roy lost his eyebrows lighting the bar-b q will turn in to a lesson of spiritual enlightenment.
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

glauber wrote:Oral tradition is the only thing that lasts.
Hmm...Iwonder if digital photos can be encoded as whistle tunes.
Mike Wright

--Goethe
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Bloody hell... Thanks for posting that Darwin. Could be a serious issue at home and at work for me!
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Darwin wrote:
glauber wrote:Oral tradition is the only thing that lasts.
Hmm...Iwonder if digital photos can be encoded as whistle tunes.
Ha, I just had a vision matching the ending of <a href="http://imdb.com/title/tt0060390/">Fahrenheit 451</a> but instead of memorizing books they were memorizing descriptions of photographs.

Eddie
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

many thanks for the tip mike!

any hard disk on a computer can ware out aswell after some years.
this programe gives a warning before this happens http://www.unistal.com/crash_proof.html
it also does a lot of other stuff.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

There's nothing made that doesn't fail someday.

That said, I'm not inclined to put too much concern into this yet.

I do think that how carefully you store and handle a CD-R will greatly influence its longevity, though, so if you want your homeburned to last a bit, store them in a clean, dry, dark, climate-controlled place, in their cases.

--James
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

Archival storage of anything is non-trivial. How many of you have color photographs that are showing fading? That's another dye technology that may or may not be related to CD-R technology. Store those CR-Rs in the dark, like a file cabinet. The less the temperature changes over time, the better.

When you're archiving something on a medium that relies on technology, you have another thing to consider. What are you going to play the thing back on? Last fall, I took home a bunch of reel to reel tapes from my parents' house. Lots of things recorded by my family in the 60s and 70s, and by my grandparents. I was able to play back those tapes and transfer them to a more current medium (CD-R!). My dad has a recording of his father made on a wire recorder, maybe in the early 50s or late 40s. Anybody out there who can play _that_ back? That's only 55 years ago +/-
Azathoth

Post by Azathoth »

Lark wrote:There have been only 5 methods that have proven to save information for hundreds of years:

1) Write it in a book, and have a monastery of monks copy it periodically in to new books. The danger is that there will start turning up translations penned by everyone that owns a thesaurus
Having had the (awe-inspiring) pleasure of reading medieval books 500+ years old, I can vouch for this. There is something to be said for writing stuff down on animal skin and storing it in nice stable conditions (e.g. the Bodleian).

Estimates for durability of parchment (under amenable conditions) lie somewhere between 1500 and 2000 years ... :boggle:

Az
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Remember Voyager? They sent a disc out there made of gold that's supposed to last zillions of years. So, the technology is there. Will there be a commercial-type burner for home use that burns pits into the plastic?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I have done a lot of antique photo scans and thought I was safeguarding things by burning discs... Bummer.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Well, we're being a little unfair here: we're comparing the longevity of books and photographs stored at perfectly controlled conditions with the longevity of CDRs stored under uncontrolled and potentially unfriendly conditions. Store these CDRs in a dark box under controlled temperature and they'll probably last about as long as the books!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

glauber wrote:Well, we're being a little unfair here: we're comparing the longevity of books and photographs stored at perfectly controlled conditions with the longevity of CDRs stored under uncontrolled and potentially unfriendly conditions. Store these CDRs in a dark box under controlled temperature and they'll probably last about as long as the books!
There's also the cost factor. I suspect that these days, a herd of goats (with goatherds), a staff of hide preparers, and another staff of calligraphers would run the unit cost up a wee bit.

It costs more to burn CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs, and they may not last as long as a well-treated book, but they're a lot cheaper than books, and it seems that they do last a whole lot longer than CD-Rs, though I guess no definitive tests have been done.

And, of course, there's the question of access--the good ol' Boyer-Moore Fast Loop-Slow Loop algorithm versus a limited index and just thumbing through the pages.

I can just see one monk, sitting at a computer screen, on the Web, reading off the screen to another monk with parchement, pen, and ink. It'd be a bit slow, doncha think?
Mike Wright

--Goethe