If you could spend a maximum of 1000 EUR on a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Markus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If you could spend a maximum of 1000 EUR on a flute

Post by Markus »

Hello,

After having a borrowed rosewood Olwell for a week I'm starting to feel that eventually I have to get a wooden flute (playing a delrin Seery now). My budget will be at the maximum of a thousand euro, the less, the better.

So far the main paths I'm considering are flutes by Marcus Hernon (the samples show that his flutes have excellent sound but they also sounded just a tad out of tune, which troubles me a bit and perhaps a wooden Seery (already knowing the maker AND the fact that Éamonn de Barra plays those is a sort of a relief). Also an Éamonn Cotter sounds like a nice choice (looking at the back postings, I didn't find a price nor waiting time for a keyless Cotter flute). I'd like to stick to makers residing in EU since I hate paying VATs and customs fees and whatnot.

Right now I'm considering going keyless, maybe some millennium I'll start waiting for a keyed Olwell.

So, what would be your choice between these options? Or would you have a better recommendation.

Slán for now,

Markus
glauber

Post by glauber »

I have a Cotter. It's an excellent flute if you're looking for a traditional Irish sound. The wait time for a keyless should be a 2-3 months.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Tradman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

I love...

Post by Tradman »

I love my George Ormond, and since some people have overlooked the value of his flutes, a good one can be had for $500-$800 USD easily.

Eric
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I would recommend Copley.
Really easy flute to play,
short waiting time,
very nice man,
produces a sound that can be from loud and growling to soft and smooth, and medium holes makes it really easy to play on.

That's my first wooden flute (also played on a Seery) and I'm totally pleased!

Leo
Henke

Post by Henke »

Leo.
Just a question out of curiosity. How would you compair the Copley against the Seery in terms of power?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I think Hammy Hamilton's D flute would be a good choice, at 700 Euros.

His website is at http://homepage.tinet.ie/~hammie/index.html

I'm not sure about the current wait list for KEYLESS flutes, but thought it was about 9 months or so.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Henke, I would say that for a single note, both flute develop quite the same volume but the Copley produces such a clearer sound and is so easier to play that it ends up playing a lot louder, in a session or through a mic.

On the Seery, it's harder to keep a regular flow of air (or maybe it demands more air).

My thoughts anyway!
David Levine

David Copley FS

Post by David Levine »

I have to sell my six-keyed Copley D blackwood flute. Great flute: easy to play, in tune, with protective plastic case, one year old. I need $1,850 for it. I'm only selling it to fund building a house in Ireland... or I'd keep it.
david@dlevine.net or 603 224-4553 (New Hampshire)
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I'd second the choice for a keyless Cotter flute. They are excellent instruments. I have been playing my 6-keyed Cotter for over a year now and am very please with it (and get very positive comments from experienced players that try it).

cheers,
Jeroen
BillG

Re: I love...

Post by BillG »

Tradman wrote:I love my George Ormond, and since some people have overlooked the value of his flutes, a good one can be had for $500-$800 USD easily.

Eric
Did you mean George Ormiston? I ran a google on Ormond and came up with a bunch of death notices (1774 included) but no flute maker. If Ormond is correct, does he have a web site?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
David Levine

Copley committed

Post by David Levine »

I have a frim commitment from a chiff-lister to buy the Copley. If things change I'll offer it again. Thanks everybody.
David Levine

Frim commitment?

Post by David Levine »

Yes, he'll be trading me his frim for my flute. It a frim that he hardly used-- it has an ivory fersteris and gold enjouements.
eilam

Post by eilam »

Good for you David, A Frim like that is hard to moce by!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Leonard wrote:Henke, I would say that for a single note, both flute develop quite the same volume but the Copley produces such a clearer sound and is so easier to play that it ends up playing a lot louder, in a session or through a mic.

On the Seery, it's harder to keep a regular flow of air (or maybe it demands more air).

My thoughts anyway!
Second this.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I think he's interested in makers in Europe (?) according to his original post.

How about gilles lehart? That's a great sounding flute! Also, very nice to look at and to hold.

I am also very pleased with my Hamilton Eb, and awaiting a D in a couple months. Many board members are happy with their Hammys too ~ I love the sound I get out of mine, very earthy.

Mary

Writing about it, made me want to take it out for a spin ~ what a sound! Really wild ~ I would definately recommend the Hammy.
M