It's time to move on to the next session when...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

... the session leader tells a bodhran player that they are saving that seat in the Inner Circle in case a "good musician" shows up.

Agree/Disagree?
/Bloomfield
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

Not a very tactful session leader, but a lot depends abilities of the bodhran player. A good bodhran player can be a real asset to a session, but a not-so-good bodhran player can litereally destroy a session. Unfortunately, bodhran players don't get a lot of respect because too many of them are insensitive to the music or cannot even play on the beat-it is up to a good bodhran player to prove their worth to other musicians (unfortunate but reality)
A good bodhran player, like a good bodhran, must have a thick skin.......
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

That depends. If there are two melody players and 4 bodhran players and a bones player going simultaneously (like the session near me), I think the request is reasonable. If I don't get to sit next to a melody player, you have no idea when the tune changes, when the beat is (rock bands usually have 1 drummer for a reason).

Also, if your leader knew Jackie Daly and Paddy Cronin were in town, and neither were at the session yet; that seems reasonable to me. I think that might apply to more than just a bodhran player in that case. It would also be a bit tough to single somebody out in that case ("you, move for the good player") would be a bit more harsh of a cut.

In anycase, I hate playing through a bad bodhran player, but enjoy playing with a good bodhran player.

I never bring my bodhran to sessions as I only play it for a few minutes, where as someone else always plays with it when I'm not. Adding an extra bodhran to the tunes never seems to help.

I think any session can work with one percussion player and one rhythm/harmony guitarist. Anything more than that can ruin the experience for melody players. If the melody players are not enjoying themselves, they don't come back. My session rarely gets over 4 melody players and sometimes only two. The worst I saw was 4 bodhran players and a harper. The harper was playing a Carolan tune. The bodhran players were playing a hornpipe, a reel, a jig, and a polka, respectively.

To quote my favorite song off of "It's No Secret"

"Wether hornpipe, slow air or polka,
they all sounded like pneumatic drills"

Seriously I agree with the previous post.
Great player = magical
Good player = benefit
So-so player = detriment.
I'd like to add
6 good or bad players = disaster; the session ceases in about 5 weeks after it becomes a bodhran only session.
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Of course you know the difference between a bad bodhrán player and a foot massage...
A foot massage "bucks up the feet" while a bad bodhrán player... :grin:

Cheers,
David
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Before this thread get's hijaked by bodhran player jokes (not that I mind those---the jokes, that is), I want to clarify.

It's not about the fact that it's a bodhran player (and probably a mediocre one), but about the fact that the existence of a two-class society in the session is now openly acknowledged and enforced. It's one thing if I want to get up and offer my seat close to the action to a brilliant old-timer who comes in late. It's another thing if there are suddenly "good player" seats and "bad player" seats.
/Bloomfield
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Sorry for the digression Bloomfield but I couldn't resist :smile: I agree with you 100%. That is why I prefer sessions like Bishop's or The Harp.

Cheers,
David
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I am sorry if I sounded like I was reprimanding you or something, David. :grin: I am still new enough to this session thing that I am still feeling my way around. I hear what you say about Bishop's and the Harp, I love those, too.

Hope to see you there soon! :smile:
/Bloomfield
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Hurray for the Harp! And down with musical snobs!
See you guys there (I hope).
Jon Michaels
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-02-21 12:39, Jon-M wrote:
Hurray for the Harp! And down with musical snobs!
See you guys there (I hope).
Not tomorrow, Jon, but I'm shooting for the Friday after.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Bodhraners' revenge:

Q: How do you get three whistle players to play in tune?

A: Shoot two of them!
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Each session has its own personality. You should find one that suits you purposes and comfort level. I've been to one a couple of times where I didn't learn anyone's name and no one learned mine. It didn't suit me; I haven't been back. I've heard about a small, elite, professional level session in San Francisco. (I haven't visited because it's on a Mon night and an inconvenient drive.) Anyway, I wouldn't presume to join in there. You are expected to be really good. I've found a session that meets at peoples' homes and has recently started going to a welcoming pub. We all know each other, there is no actual leader. Everyone is very friendly. Suits me, that's where I go.

People are aware of ettiquette and common sense, and are polite and sensitive to issues of clamor. They get discussed and compromises are made. No one is dictated to. Beginners are welcome.

If there's only one game in town, you have to decide what you're willing to put up with.
Good luck,
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”