Is the Uilleann Pipe craze dying

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

brianc wrote:How long had some of those makers been in the business? (Lambe, DuVey, Davy S., et. al.)
I know Eugene Lambe was making pipes for about twenty years anyway.
It seems to me that there was more of an explosion of makers in the 90s, in response to what may have been perceived to be an explosion of interest in the instrument. This sort of shakeout happens in all manner of industries.
True. Just as a lot of people got into playing pipes due to their popular exposure in the 90's a lot of people got into making them also. Many makers in the 80's also improved in the 90's as they honed their skills and customers knew what to ask for and expect from a set of pipes. This was partly due to the internet and the sharing of quality information at tionól all around the world.

Patrick.
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

such is life
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Has Ben Koehler given up on Quinn and Koehler, also? I'd heard as much.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sean Dillon wrote: Des Seery is more interested in whistles and flutes
According to my conversations with Desi, he'd rather be making pipes, but has an explosion of business in flutes, mostly. He also prefers to work with local customers for pipes, rather than sending a set out into an uncertain world.

Kevin Krell, webmaster Seery flutes
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Has Ben Koehler given up on Quinn and Koehler, also? I'd heard as much.
say, it isn't so!!!
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Has Ben Koehler given up on Quinn and Koehler, also? I'd heard as much.
Just a rumor, Kevin. They're still working together, albeit in separate locations.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TnWhistler »

Sean Dillon wrote: Davy Stevenson has retired due to health problems.
This is news, I wonder if he is giving refunds. I read the post about Davy elsewhere but was apprehensive about posting a reply since last time I mentioned my order with Davy I got fussed at.

I too hope he is well, I spoke to him late last year and he still didn't have any specific diagosis, felt it was a combination of things. Sent me an e-mail some time ago telling me he was holding my check until he could get it done.

In the mean time, I have a new reed from David Daye and have a new bag from McHarg and 99% of my problems were solved.

BTW... I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT MIKE McHARG'S BAGS! they are incredible!. It has actually improved my playing. All the talk about reeds and chanters, I never expected it to be my bag.

Timmy
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

kkrell wrote:
Sean Dillon wrote: Des Seery is more interested in whistles and flutes
According to my conversations with Desi, he'd rather be making pipes, but has an explosion of business in flutes, mostly. He also prefers to work with local customers for pipes, rather than sending a set out into an uncertain world.

Howayez,

Here's some more stuff to speculate about, fodder if you will.... I heard recently that Desi is about to finish up a batch of thirteen... yes folks... 13 half sets. Didn't hear if they are preordered but I'd say they are? :-?

Gulluck lads,

Patrick.
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sean Dillon wrote:
Sean Dillon wrote:

Des Seery is more interested in whistles and flutes

I'm very glad to hear that Kevin, as Desi make great pipes.

I'm not trying to knock any of the above guys, as they all have served the piping community for many years. But, some are now concentrating on whistle, flute and what ever else. Maybe this makes better business sense with better cash flow as flutes and whistles take a lot less time to make.

There could be more demand in whistle and flute areas these days, as many whistle and flute players acquiring from several different makers and also different pitch’s. After all business is about being able to adapt and change to market conditions and if that being the case then it is only a natural occurrence and a means to make a living after all.

Sean
Maybe the "Wooden Flute Obsession" CDs are responsible for all the flute activity?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Hmmm, it would be interesting to hear from anyone, who has bought or ordered one of the 13 sets made by Des Seery so in the future we could
see how many actually pipe up hear on Chiff & Fipple, a bit like being detectives, keeping a eye on "picture of your pipes"and the NPU.

all the best Stew. 8)
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Sean Dillon wrote:Stew your spot on man!!!

There are a lot of pipemakers packing it up.

Roberts, gone to Spain to live the good life, he must have now made his money to retire.

Cillian O'Briain has now not taking orders for pipes, only chanters.

Des Seery is more interested in whistles and flutes, Cillian also must be swayed in that direction.

Eugene Lambe no longer wants to make pipes and is making Low whistles.

Davy Stevenson has retired due to health problems.

Peter Hunter also packed it up.

Brendan O'Hare retired due to health problems.

Hughes and McCleod are also doing little in taking in orders.

I'm sure thers are many more that could go onto the list of pipemaking or none pipemaking or fazing out pipemaking.

There seems to be different reasons for this, but I think it may be much easier money to make flute amd whistles and most likely a lot less hassle from customers (pipers man, you just have to look around this board, everyone is eating eachother over what's good and what's bad and differences of opinion)

I could be wrong here, but that is how I see it at present.

Sean
Don't know about the rest, but Cillian is backed up with orders for pipes until about 2009 or so. Last letter I got from him said that there were sets "piling up around the workshop." So he's still very busy making them, just very backed up with orders.
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete