Opinions on whistles to cease except from those qualified

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Opinions on whistles to cease except from those qualified

Post by Cayden »

in another thread adressing Bloomfield who dared compare Chieftain and Overton whistles

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=19164
talbert st.claire wrote:

... are you a professional player? Then, my advice would be to you is before you post something like that please have "complete knowlege" of both instruments beforehand. Best,Talbert
Just to notify you all any opinion on whistles or comparisons between different makes will from now on not to be taken serious, except if given by the select few who have the authority to comment.

Good luck

:roll:

[edited a small typo as per usual and later again to insert link to other thread and to fiddle with that a bit]
Last edited by Cayden on Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Once, when I told someone I played music professionally, they responded, "Oh, so you're unemployed?" :tomato:
Last edited by ChrisLaughlin on Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu H
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Stu H »

Now ..... I'm sure that this thread was a long time ago & Talbert regrets what he said. As I am sure that he regrets saying this:

'......now that "wisely" has posted a review of my cd not a single person has supported me like i supported you all! i wont mention names here, but i did not hesitate to "HELP YOU" when you asked for it! i'm beginning to see why davy spillane told me to stay away from this here board because as a professional player they will separate you from them! and he was right! if i had the chance to remove my name from this here board, I would! by the way, i have tried because i want nothing to do with such an immature crowd! thanks for nothing! '

We all say & do things in the heat of the moment that, in the cold light of day we wish that we had not.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Stu H wrote:Now ..... I'm sure that this thread was a long time ago & Talbert regrets what he said.
Actually, the quote in question was posted earlier this afternoon, about a half hour before Peter started this thread. As to whether it came across as meant, I'll leave to others to argue.

Steven
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Seems like folks are awfully quick to jump on each other these days.

I don't really see that this kind of crap--the continual endless bickering, specifically--gains us anything as a community.

--James
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

peeplj wrote:Seems like folks are awfully quick to jump on each other these days.

I don't really see that this kind of crap--the continual endless bickering, specifically--gains us anything as a community.
I think what some of us dislike most is people who see themselves as professionnals or pros or experts when they're not. But when they start actually telling you in a thread, I think that's worth "bickering". (Dunno exactly what it means but I like the word!).
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

Steven wrote:
Stu H wrote:Now ..... I'm sure that this thread was a long time ago & Talbert regrets what he said.
Actually, the quote in question was posted earlier this afternoon, about a half hour before Peter started this thread. As to whether it came across as meant, I'll leave to others to argue.

Steven

Actually .... I know (attempt at irony - obviously I missed!)
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Laban, get back in that wing-chair before I have to pummel you senseless! The Club just got a new shipment of leaf that is quite delightful, ol chap so have a relaxing smoke. Leave the worries to the rest of the lot, i say... just slumber into a torpor of irrelevance.....zzzzzz.....zzzzzzz..zzzzzzz
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Does it matter if they are professionals, pros, or experts?

Is there some prerequisite before someone deserves simple polite respect?

Most of my adult life I have had a career where I have occasionally been required to strongly disagree with those for whom I directly work: I learned long ago that it is better to disagree with great politeness.

We are all occasionally guilty of forgetting this simple courtesy in our online endeavors, I no less than anyone.

Thus this reminder for us all, myself included.

--James
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Stu H wrote: Actually .... I know (attempt at irony - obviously I missed!)
It's hard to make irony come through via typing on a page. I frequently get misunderstood, too, Stu.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Damn, I used to feel qualified, but clearly I am not -anyone got a sharp whistle I can fall on? :lol:

Loren
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Loren wrote:Damn, I used to feel qualified, but clearly I am not -anyone got a sharp whistle I can fall on? :lol:

Loren
I have a bamboo cheapie that's pretty sharp - on some of its notes, anyway. Would that help?

Seriously, this stuff comes up all the time. Mostly its best to shrug and ignore it. Last I heard, it was still pretty much a free country, if someone wants to offer an opinion they can do so. I hope we never see a time when only those who've offered a CD for sale or taught a class have a right to offer an opinion. With this bunch, I'd happily bet my lunch money it'll never come to that.
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Since most of those seeking advice on a whistle's merits are clearly Unqualified, 'twould seem to me that they would wish advice from those playing at the same level of proficiency, or (at most) one or two levels "advanced". Thus, I would suggest that the only persons Qualified to comment on a whistle at the request of the Unqualified would be themselves Unqualified, with those who are Qualified placed firmly in the ranks of the Disqualified. Loren, you are clearly one of the Qualified Unqualified, and not one of the Disqualified Qualified. So stop sharpening that whistle and resume playing! :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Gadzooks. Weeks...can I have some of that "leaf" stuff too?
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Does it count if you have been paid to stop?