To whistle or not to whistle? That is the question!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Question: How do you convince your friends, (or well not really my friends but more anoying panio playing bigots) that the Tin whistle is really a intrument and very hard to get good at?
Today at lunch, I was talking to a very anoying guy, who plays the panio. He thinks panio is the top instrument, when I mention I played the Tin whistle. In the end we got into a heated debate about how the tin whistle is an instruent and a very cool one, too!
Could people please post about what they think of the Tin whistle and all the fancy stuff invobled with it. Then I want to bring all the replies and dump it in his lap and be like read, and learn! Tin whistle kicks butt! Well don't let me down guys!

caryn
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The only way I've ever convinced people is to play for them. I'm not too good a player, but when people actually see you making music, suddenly the whistle isn't some kids toy anymore.

Something people who are familiar with the whistle might scoff at is the fact that it's not chromatic, and is therefore simpler to play. My primary isntrument for 25 years was the lap dulcimer, which is similarly cursed/blessed. The saying goes, "it takes 10 minutes to learn, 15 for the exceptionally backward." The same thing goes for the dulcimer and whistle: it's easy to pick out a tune, but it's difficult to play well. As much or more so than other instruments, things like phrasing that take a long time to learn, are very important.

More importantly, don't listen to those people. Every so often I actually let someone get under my skin badmouthing folk music or fiction, but when it does get under mu skin I know that I'm short of sleep or something. Remember the words of Henry Ford (or maybe Edison), "Don't listen to people who say you can't do this or you must do that. If Michelangelo had listened to those people, he would have painted the floor of the Sistene Chapel and it would have worn away long ago." Or something like that.

Charlie

edited for content and creative spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chas on 2002-02-20 21:33 ]</font>
celt5

Post by celt5 »

There is no "top" instument. Each musical instument has its own sound and challenges, and while we might all have our own personal preferences, that's all they are-preferences.

As for whistles...while they are simple in design, playing them can offer a unique challenge. For example, if you have a whistle in the key of D, in order to play in other keys, you have to use cross-fingerings.
Half-holing is definitely a challenge not to mention interpreting the music. When playing a tune, you don't play the way its written (if you use music)You can add variations and ornamentation that stamps the music with your own style. Rolls--definitely not easy (at least for me) I'm starting to be able to do them, but I definitely don't quite have them down yet.
Because whistles are a wind instament, breath control is also a factor especially with low whistles that take a lot more air to play.
While learning fingerings and getting a sound out of a whistle is easy (and that is not a bad thing), being able to play one with finess is another thing entirely.
Hope this helps : )
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Have you ever heard Women of Ireland played on piano? Nuff said
Blayne Chastain

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Yeah! And try picking your nose with a piano! Nuff said.... Uhhhh... Did I say that out loud?

:smile:

Blayne
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I'm really really sorry but I think that what your friend says is partially true. The piano is indeed one of the most versatile acoustic instruments ever (noteswise), and you can practically orchestrate an orchestra piece on it - thats why composers are so fond of it. It is easily fully chromatic, and that also means you can play almost any kind of music, in any key, in it. And in hands of a master it is can be completely jawdropping/moving (as with any instrument).

The piano's limitations come in tone/timbre control. I think piano player's don't have as easy a time controlling the tone in advanced stages, say, as a fiddler or whistler (which also means that they don't make "erroneous noises" like the latter 2) Its also not easy to alter the timbre of the instrument much. I might be wrong, but maybe this makes it less easy for one to be as expressive as on fiddler or flute, where one has almost total control of the tone.

Of course the whistle has also other advantages over the piano. It's handy, and simple. If I were stuck on a deserted island, I'm sure I can make a simple (albeit figuritively sh*t) six-holed instrument.

Any instrument, under the hands of any one masterful enough, can make equally great shocking music. I admit though, that the whistle tends to receive more flack because it has the toy-like, simple appearance. However, your piano playing bigot friend certainly shows bad form as a musician dissing other music instruments.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There is an old saying: Don't argue
with a fool. People may not be able
to tell the difference.

If this fellow really thinks that
whistles aren't real instruments on
which beautiful music can be played,
then why care what he thinks?
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

(grin) Last time I was faced with this situation, I pulled my low D out from under my jacket, and as if by magic, summoned every female in the Boston Market (including the ones from behind the counter--spooky!) into the dining area to watch me play slow airs for about 5 minutes. My two male colleagues (who had been razzing me about my instrument) were suitably impressed, and never gave me any flak about my whistles (or the fact that I carry them around like Linus' security blanket) again. :smile:

In all seriousness, I've learned that it's nearly impossible to change someone's mind once it's made up about something. Be it about instruments, types of music, cars, guns, or martial arts, I've seen this exact kind of conversation played out over and over among my friends, and I really can't recall a time when one person has really convinced the other person of the wisdom in their stance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-02-20 23:48 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-02-20 21:33, Ron Rowe wrote:
Have you ever heard Women of Ireland played on piano? Nuff said
The piece was composed by Sean O Riada, harpsichord and pianoplayer of classical background. So nuff said? Hm, try a different example.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Try stuffing a piano in your backpocket, climbing to the top of a hill, and letting the breeze carry your tunes across the valley, startling sheep in the process.

I like my music portable - and if I ever find an instrument more portable than a whistle, I'll probably start playing it (I already have an ocarina).

Plus, a piano sounds nothing like a whistle!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

But then, the old example used by people preferign the piano over the fiddle but it holds very much true for the whistle as well: try leaving your drink on top of it while playing.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

If you are not a terrific player yourself, just pop a CD by Mary Bergin, Joanie Madden, Larry Nugent etc into the player and let that do the talking for you.
The joy of the whistle is that it is so easy and cheap to get started on, and yet so full of possibilities for a lifetime of improvement.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

A start on why whistles beat pianos (mind you, I really do side with him on this, but lets list 'em for argument's sake):

1) Can't stick a piano in your back pocket.

2) Can't keep a piano in your car or kitchen or desk at work.

3) Can't bend a note on the piano.

4) A complete collection of the best whistles still costs less than a so-so piano.

5) Whistles don't require a professional to knock into tune.

6) There is no vibrato on a piano.

7) You can't play Star Wars Light Saber with a piano.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

:cool: You can play the whistle standing up without looking like Jerry Lee Lewis

Pixyy
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

You can't stir your tea with a piano.

You can't blow bubbles with a piano.

You can't shut your finger in a whistle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2002-02-21 08:54 ]</font>