Low D thumb rest..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Low D thumb rest..

Post by brewerpaul »

Been playing my Copeland low D a lot lately, and have found it to be pretty heavy after a while. I went to a local instrument repair shop and bought a brass thumb rest salvaged from an old sax. I had to use my Dremel to contour the back of it to the diameter of the whistle, then stuck it in place with 5 minute epoxy.
The result is a MUCH more comfortable instrument to play for longer periods.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steven »

And it won't roll off the table when you put it down!

:-)
Steven
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Do you use it at the lower or upper end of the whistle? I keep thinking about getting one. I rotated the tube relative to the mouthpiece as you suggested (I think I remember it was you, Paul) and that has helped me seal the holes more easily.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
eskin

Post by eskin »

I believe that Susato sells a bag of various plastic thumbrests. I use on on the lower hand of my Copeland low D.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

I've mentioned this before, but since I have a weakness in my left thumb, I use the Susato thumbrests on all of my whistles to support the weight. (except for my Bass A - that one gets a neckstrap... :D ) The disadvantage is that I have to carry spares in case one breaks. The advantage is that without that support, I wouldn't be able to hold the whistle for any length of time. So, it's one of those things where if you need it, use it. :)

And, yes - they are great for keeping the whistles from rolling off the slanted surface of my bass amp! :lol:
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Mike,
I looked at the variety of thumb rests on either Susato's site or maybe, Early Music retailers a long time ago. I was baffled by the selection. What size should I ask for? (for upper or lower end of conical Copeland low d) I wonder would two be twice as good as one.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Low D thumb rest..

Post by Loren »

brewerpaul wrote:Been playing my Copeland low D a lot lately, and have found it to be pretty heavy after a while. I went to a local instrument repair shop and bought a brass thumb rest salvaged from an old sax. I had to use my Dremel to contour the back of it to the diameter of the whistle, then stuck it in place with 5 minute epoxy.
The result is a MUCH more comfortable instrument to play for longer periods.
Thumbrests on whistles?!?! You've been playing recorders too much Paul :lol:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

TonyHiggins wrote:Mike,
I looked at the variety of thumb rests on either Susato's site or maybe, Early Music retailers a long time ago. I was baffled by the selection. What size should I ask for? (for upper or lower end of conical Copeland low d) I wonder would two be twice as good as one.
Tony
I'm thinking you'd be best off with 10 Tony, one for each finger......

Loren
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks for the help, Loren. You can put one on your neck.
Tony
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Paul is right: a sax thumb rest is way more comfy than those sold by Susato (which I suspect are made by Aulos).
Those by Susato are a clip, so you have to compromise for their position, else they hinder the index finger.
Also, the ridge it creates under te whistle (before the thumb rest proper) make my finger sore.

A sax rest leaves the tube naked where your thumb touches it, because it's attached above.

My Strathmann flute (alto F) has such a sax thumb rest, but Herr Strathmann is a saxophone player and designer, originally. On his whistle, it's extremely comfortable. Note that it's lined with cork, so you don't get direct contact with the metal.

I think I'll experiment quite soon with an alternative to reclaimed saxophone parts. Just let me go to the fishing and angling supplies store: they have these spare loops used to route the line from the reel to the fishing-rod tip... As for the cork, this is easy to reclaim--at least here in France :)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Zubivka wrote:A sax rest leaves the tube naked where your thumb touches it, because it's attached above.
Actually, mine is attached below so my thumb actually sits on part of the rest, but it's very comfortable nonetheless.

I have mine on the lower thumb, which is where recorder rests go: it never even occured to me to try the top.

Seeing Loren's reply reminds me that the Von Huene workshop has some simply gorgeous little thumb rests in either brass or sterling silver in a pretty fleur de lis pattern-- used to have one on my alto recorder until I lost it :cry: -- at $30, they're a bit pricey, and they don't have a very large gluing surface so they might not easily support the weight of a brass low D whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

brewerpaul wrote:
Zubivka wrote:A sax rest leaves the tube naked where your thumb touches it, because it's attached above.
Actually, mine is attached below so my thumb actually sits on part of the rest, but it's very comfortable nonetheless.

I have mine on the lower thumb, which is where recorder rests go: it never even occured to me to try the top.

Seeing Loren's reply reminds me that the Von Huene workshop has some simply gorgeous little thumb rests in either brass or sterling silver in a pretty fleur de lis pattern-- used to have one on my alto recorder until I lost it :cry: -- at $30, they're a bit pricey, and they don't have a very large gluing surface so they might not easily support the weight of a brass low D whistle.
All depends what type of glue you use Paul :D Keep in mind that we do make some fairly heavy instruments - I'm working on a batch of Grenadilla Baroque Tenors right now (with keywork on the foot), these probably weigh about as much as a Copeland Low D in Brass.

Loren

P.S. Tony, I'll try a thumbrest on my neck when I get back to work on Monday, will let you know how that works out.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Maybe the low d makers might start thinking about an optional thumbrest. Is there a universal preferred position? I suppose you'd want it fitted to your own hand position.
Tony
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I tie a helium ballon to the end of my whistle. Depending on how heavy the whistle is, you use different sizes of whistle.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I tie a helium ballon to the end of my whistle.
Do you inhale the helium to get a 3rd octave?
Tony