high blood pressure

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

high blood pressure

Post by Jack »

I have a question some people here might be able to answer -

I'm 19, don't smoke, don't drink, and I've been a vegetarian for years. But you already knew that.

Well today I went to the hospital (over something other than bloodpressure) and they told me my bloodpressure was something like 180/110. I told them I didn't do anything to make it so high and they checked a few hours later and it was still that high.

The doctor there said I should "reduce my stress level" (as if it's that easy!) and/or take some pills for high blood pressure.

Is it normal for people my age to have to take bloodpressure pills?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It's possible it's two blips, as a response to hsopitals.
Exercise is good, lowering weight is good.
Generally getting quite fit helps and is
worth doing in any case; lots of psychological
benefits, for sure. Best
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

It's certainly not unheard of.

In matters of health, we are all very much individuals, with each our own specific needs and challenges. I'm not sure a word like "normal" even applies.

There are some very mild medicines they could start you on that have little or no side effects at all, that should bring it down nicely.

And don't get to thinking it's somehow your fault: I doubt very seriously it is. You can do everything right and still develop chronic health issues.

--James
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My blood pressure dropped a few points just by walking a couple miles a day. Not strolling but good hard walking.

But...some people are hereditarily predisposed to it and it has to be managed medically. Start the exercise, then keep and eye on it.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I was 33 when I had a heart attack. :o A 99%+ occlusion of my LAD(the big artery that runs down the front of everyones heart) The other arteries were 100% open. That one segment (in me at least) is genetically predisposed to plaque and the stuff that goes along with it. They reconstructed over 75% of that vessel with stainless steel stents and angeoplaste. So now I'm 35 and on a regular regimine of diet, exercise, cholesterol pills, and niacin that will help change some of the physical characteristics of my blood and keep my blood vessels less likely to clog.

Just the cards we're dealt. :roll: A generation from now, there will be genetic "vaccines" against this kind of thing. Get a shot, take a pill and never have to worry about heart disease, stroke, liver or kidney disfunciton.

Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Jack

Post by Jack »

I can't afford the pills but I can the excersize. I didn't even think of that.
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

For me, watching my thoughts, filtering the news I let in, watching my actions (especially avoiding petty arguments and disputes), going for long walks and bike rides, all help lower my blood pressure and reduce my stress level. And of course, my music is my number one way to process difficult news, or tragic events.

It sounds like you are watching your food diet. It may be helpful to take a similar approach to your mental diet. People sometimes have high stress due to external events. Others seek it. Watch what news you let in, what you think about during the day. You have control over your thoughts and your actions. Observe what you get worked up about and evaluate whether it is worth it, especially if your mental and physical health is at stake.

Observe yourself in the company of various friends and relatives. There are people that rub others the wrong way, and often times there are ways to limit the exposure or irritation.

Some folks get worked up by listening to talk radio, or the latest court case, or the presidential election, or world events. None of this is worth a person's mental health or physical health. All of it external environment that a person has no control over.

There are also specific activities that lower stress. Whistle playing, especially slow meditative music is one of them. Others include yoga, Tai Chi, meditation.
+ Bill
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

All good advice. And, just to repeat, it's
possible it was too over readings.
There are blood pressure machines
in supermarkets, etc. You might
check and see. Some people don't
like hospitals. Best
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Assuming that your high blood pressure readings are not just "white coat syndrome" it's important that you keep your eye on. Not for nothing is highpertension known as the "silent killer".

The good news is that lifestyle changes will certainly help.

The amount of salt that we eat has a direct effect on our blood pressure. The more salt we eat, the higher our blood pressure. This is true, not only in people with high blood pressure, but also in people with normal blood pressure.

Be careful with that excercise; make sure that you don't overdo it. Any activity that you do should leave you slightly out of breath, but you should still be able to talk. You should also be feeling warm and sweating a little. Brisk walking, swimming, cycling, dancing and jogging are all good activities, but the most important thing is to do something that you enjoy as that way you are more likely to stick to it. Incidently enthusiatic whistle playing can be excellent excercise.

Being regularly active can lower blood pressure by an average of 4-9mmHg systolic but to maintain this effect you will need to stay active.

Do take good care of yourself and know that it can be done. I used to have readings a little higher than yours but now I average 120/69 and I'm considerably older than you and have the added complication of diabetes.

waitingame
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

peeplj wrote: In matters of health, we are all very much individuals, with each our own specific needs and challenges. I'm not sure a word like "normal" even applies.
--James
James-- are you making a value judgement about Cranberry ? :lol:

(puts his Dr. hat back on...)
Seriously, this is pretty high BP and should be followed carefully and controlled. Cran, you can buy a BP cuff and take your own pressures quite easily. Cutting out salt(read labels of prepared foods!) and similar lifestyle changes can help, but if your pressure stays that high, count on some simple meds. With generics, they need not be too expensive. The alternative, to be blunt, could be a stroke or death. I don't want to excessively worry you, but do want to emphasize how important this is. Good news is that blood pressure is pretty easily managed these days. Get on it today
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I'll second that, that's a pretty high BP level you've got there and you must lower it. If you can manage by exercise and diat alone, all the better, if not you might want to try taking a generic ACE-inhibitor. Your GP will be able to help you out there.
Best, Amar.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I was taught (School of Health, USC) that the lowest reading would be when you wake up in the morning, still in bed, after a good nights sleep, and not having eaten late the night before. Not particularly indicative of average BP though. Taking BP too many times, back to back, produces inaccurate results. Waiting a few hours was right.

Certain FOODS have an effect, like medicine, to raise and lower BP. Anyone ever hear of the benifits of garlic? A newer and "good" medical/nutrition book I was reading said GARLIC lowers blood presure, reduces cholesteral, and thins the blood. My neighbors dog once started chewing on a poisonous mushroom someone had kicked over in the yard. It started acting really weird, so they took it to the vet. BP was WAY above normal, also heart rate.

Some edible MUSHROOMS, like the maitake and chiitake mushrooms are known to lower BP. Certain drugs, like THESE can have a neg. effect on both BP and the heart rate.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'd strongly stress, as others have, that while life-style controls are preferable, meds are a lot 'cheaper' than stroke or heart attack and you seem to be risking outcomes like that. BTW, are you overweight? Losing weight can help too if that's a factor although. Without having actually met you, I'd be surprsied if weight were a factor.

Meds, BTW, aren't necessarily a life sentence. If you need a lifestyle adjustment, you might find that you need meds for a couple of months but can control BP through lifestyle changes thereafter. It all depends on what's causing the problem.
chas

Post by chas »

I've got white-coat syndrome, i., e., what Jim suggested is a possibility for Cran. My BP goes up around 20/10 when it's taken in a clinical setting. One doctor suggested taking it at the grocery store or pharmacy several times a week. It does occasionally spike (I have two unhealthy habits: beer and tea), but is for the most part normal.

One thing: there was a report a couple of years ago that white-coat syndrome is actually indicative of something that increases the chance of heart disease. Unfortunately, it was an epidemiological study that had no fundamental-science component, so they really don't know the mechanism that causes the increased risk.

180/110 is a very high number. Don't worry about it (that's the worst thing you can do), but do start exercising. Exercise is good for your physical health, but great for your mental health. Don't necessarily pick the thing that's best for you physically, but something you enjoy. That way you'll stick with it. If exercise and diet don't do the job, think of medication.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Cran, when was the last time you got your BP checked? Was it normal then? Had it always been before, or did you have high readings (or increasing slowly over time)? Your history could be at least as important as a single day's readings. I agree with the others that it's a good idea to keep an eye on it over time. Not something to ignore or mess around with!

Steven