soap/jetdry for Overtons ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

soap/jetdry for Overtons ?

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I recently received my first Overton whistle, an alto F. When it's warm and dry (unclogged) it sounds really wonderful. However, keeping it warm and unclogged is proving to be a chore.

Have any of you Overton aficionados tried the soapy water or jetdry trick, and if so, does it help a significant amount?

Thanks.

-Brett
emmline

Post by emmline »

My Overton is a low D. I found the clogging to be awful at first, but for some reason the problem diminished to a degree as I became more familiar with it. The main recommendation I have, besides warmth, is to cover the air hole and blow before playing. Jet dry helped a little, not a ton.
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

emmline wrote:My Overton is a low D. I found the clogging to be awful at first, but for some reason the problem diminished to a degree as I became more familiar with it. The main recommendation I have, besides warmth, is to cover the air hole and blow before playing.
Exactly my experience with my Low F.

waitingame
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Same with me, both my Low F and D clogged a bit at first. Now they don't at all! You'll just have to play it loads.... (not a great hardship!)

B :D
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Remember that you need to blow hard on the Overtons, support your breath like a singer or brass player might. As you get used to doing that, the clogging problem goes away.
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dish detergent etc. will help, but like others have mentioned, as you get used to the whistle you'll start to drive it harder, which keeps the windway clear, then you'll find clogging is rarely a problem.

Loren
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Hehehe. :)
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:Hehehe. :)
Dang it, you beat me to it again Bloomfield! I'm getting slow now that I don't have so much free time on my hands...

Loren
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Okie Dokie, when I get home tonight I'm going to blow hard and drive it harder.

:party:
Fopah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Fopah »

I'm glad this question came up, i was thinking about asking the same thing... except for i dont know anything about soap and jetdry, but im having the same problem with my overtone Low D, but it seems when i first got it it played alot smoother, and only recently it has been clogging, and inspected the windway, even flossed it. but it still clogs... may I ask exactly what you do with soapy water?
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats
Bretton

Post by Bretton »

If you imerse the head (mouthpiece) of the whistle in a solution of warm soapy water for a few seconds and then take it out and let it dry, the inside of the windway should end up with a thin coating of soap which will act as a surfacent (sp?). This should make any condensation less likely to adhere to the sides (and especially the ceiling) of the windway. JetDry does this, even moreso, but it tastes really bad.

In my experience this doesn't work that well, but it does seem to help a little if you reapply fairly often.

This is my first aluminum whistle and I'd only tried it on brass/plastic whistles in the past...I wasn't sure how it would work with the aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer).

-Brett