Is there anything happening in Cleveland, Ohio?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Is there anything happening in Cleveland, Ohio?

Post by Bloomfield »

Like, you know, a session?

I have to be there on business the rest of the week and maybe next week, too, and I thought maybe someone could point me in the direction of some good session? Or bad session, in which case I could join in.

thanks
/Bloomfield
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I don't know any details, but my understanding is there is a strong IRTrad scene there (certainly some great musicians living in the area), so you ought to be able to find something if you keep looking!
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pthouron »

Dear Bloo,

I go to Cleveland a couple of times a year, but I don't know about sessions there (although I seem to remember a couple of C&F'ers being from Cleveland). But I DO know about the Great Lakes Brewery, which produces THE BEST BEER in the world, bar none. The restaurant also serves wonderful "beer foods" (their German sausage sampler is first rate).

You cannot go to Cleveland and miss it. Here is their website, which I am sure has directions.

PT

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Bloomie,
I don't know of any regularly occuring sessions around town but now I know you are here I'll ask around. Drop me an email and we can discuss the options. And yes, the Great Lakes Brewery is fabulous. My email is
hlmburns at stratos dot net.
Mike
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I just like the topic, nyuk....Don't they film Jerry Springer there???? :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Weeky said:
I just like the topic, nyuk....Don't they film Jerry Springer there????
No, Jerry's from Cincinnati, which is actually a suburb of Covington, Kentucky :lol:
Bloomie,
I found a session scheduled for Wednesdays at Sullivan's Pub in Lakewood (where I live). I can't vouch for or otherwise characterize the session since I've never attended. I'm still looking for more..
Mike
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

The Weekenders wrote:I just like the topic, nyuk....Don't they film Jerry Springer there???? :lol:
I can't tell you how hard I tried not to crack the jokes about Cleveland you'd expect from a New Yorker.
/Bloomfield
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Bloomfield wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:I just like the topic, nyuk....Don't they film Jerry Springer there???? :lol:
I can't tell you how hard I tried not to crack the jokes about Cleveland you'd expect from a New Yorker.
M...I was going to write most but I changed that to many Clevelanders are immune to the Cleveland jokes. There is even a micro brewery that calls itself Burning River Brewery. What really makes us feel better is that Toledo is only 100 miles away. :twisted:
Mike
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Bloomfield wrote:Burnsbyrne, did you get my email?
I did and replied too. We'll talk later. :D
Mike Burns
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I am not the only one you should talk to: you are responding to phantom posts. :boggle:

:wink:
/Bloomfield
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

http://www.murphyroche.com/Our_Sessions.htm

I haven't been here but Im planning on going some time when my regular Wed. band is off.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

pthouron wrote:Dear Bloo,

I go to Cleveland a couple of times a year, but I don't know about sessions there (although I seem to remember a couple of C&F'ers being from Cleveland). But I DO know about the Great Lakes Brewery, which produces THE BEST BEER in the world, bar none. The restaurant also serves wonderful "beer foods" (their German sausage sampler is first rate).

You cannot go to Cleveland and miss it. Here is their website, which I am sure has directions.

PT

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/
You will permit me to doubt that the Great Lakes Brewery produces the best beer in the world and that there is such a thing as a "wonderful" German sausage samplers (unless you mean that you, too, have always wondered what sausages are full of).

I'll give the beer a try if I can manage (but not the sausages). :)
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

FJohnSharp wrote:http://www.murphyroche.com/Our_Sessions.htm

I haven't been here but Im planning on going some time when my regular Wed. band is off.
I'd hate to seem ungrateful, and I do appreciate the suggestion, but I do think the Kerry Piper is about 600 miles from my hotel in downtown Cleveland. Maybe I am just not used to the distances, coming from the East Coast. ;)
/Bloomfield
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

D'OH!!! ( 8(l)

I think that qualifies as a "Homer". :D
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

There is a "Murphy Irish Arts Centre" in Cleveland -- maybe that's the source of confusion? Apparently (judging by web searches) Cleveland has nine different Irish dancing schools, and (according to a private e-mail I got today discussing possible locations for the Midwest Fleadh 2005) a small but growing CCE branch.