new agey kind of music for whistle sources?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

new agey kind of music for whistle sources?

Post by Berti66 »

since I like the kind of new agey music, are here on the forum people who could recommend me some internet sources, or books with music to try?

berti
Zubivka

Re: new agey kind of music for whistle sources?

Post by Zubivka »

Berti66 wrote:since I like the kind of new agey music, are here on the forum people who could recommend me some internet sources, or books with music to try?

berti
Written new age? :-?

Now for music, why not:
D. Spillane "Sea of Dreams"
P. Hardy "Whistleworks"--hey this one is for free...
Talbert St-Claire--just get a J. Freeman raffle ticket...
Berti66

ehmmm

Post by Berti66 »

yes you are right.....new agey kind of written music.
the only thing I found yet was enya....
I bet there are more people on this forum who play this kind of things hm?

berti
glauber

Post by glauber »

Check out Davy Spillane, Tallbert St. Claire, and Phil Hardy, to mention a few.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Berti66

yes, but.......

Post by Berti66 »

hi glauber,

yes they play this stuff BUT I am after sheetmusic........got ideas?

berti
Zubivka

Re: yes, but.......

Post by Zubivka »

Berti66 wrote:hi glauber,

yes they play this stuff BUT I am after sheetmusic........got ideas?

berti
Won't work. Whatever the ear limitations, play by ear.

As for the new idea, maybe improvise as much as you can ?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

hi berti,

maybe try some irish airs http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtra ... ORMOC.html
for ireland i'd not tell her name, etc...
Berti66

thanks

Post by Berti66 »

yes sure I can play by ear thats no problem......just thought it would be nice to have some things on sheetmusic too....
the slow airs however are the kind of direction I am looking since you have a lot of freedom there as how to play them....which is what I like....
but still there should be SOMETHING written I think hm....
sure will post here when I find anything..

berti
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

new age sheetmusic!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi Berti,

It's great that you enjoy this type of music! One thing to keep in mind though is that New-Age music is mostly something that comes together
through experimentations!!! Which means that it's at times difficult to find written music for New-Age. There are probably some sources but in all honesty it's the kind of thing that we create through improvisations.

For myself, when I wrote the music for "Tears Of The Forest" its was not written on paper (I cannot read music at all ). It comes from ideas and memorizations! Things you put together. Things you hear. If it's a traditional piece I usually approach this with ideas to make it sound "New-Age". Not always that easy.

The Low Whistle and "New-Age" is a good mix! Since you are a whistle player and if you are interested in capturing this approach on the whistle. You need to perhaps develop your own approach to playing that will give it
a unique sound! One way to do this is to imitate those that you listen to.This is a good start.

Take a traditional piece. Realize the way it's normally played in a trad. setting. Now listen to the New-Age version and you'll quickly see exactly what I mean. It's truly interesting to see a much different approach.

There are also very different "technical" things we do on the Low Whistle that adds to the overall "New-Age"sound. Example: "the May Morning Dew" (traditional). Since you will be receiving a copy of "Tears Of The Forest", listen to the way it's played there and elsewhere. Listen to my version and you'll see that the technical things that are happening on the Low Whistle makes it at times "New-Age" sounding! Again, It comes from developing your own ideas or listening to someone else's. I hope that this helps you in terms of understanding how we "New-Age" folks approach things.

All the best in your "search" for the sheet music! Sorry that I could not assist in this area since I only play by ear and cannot read sheet music.-Talbert St.Claire
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Darwin

Re: thanks

Post by Darwin »

Berti66 wrote:yes sure I can play by ear thats no problem......just thought it would be nice to have some things on sheetmusic too....
the slow airs however are the kind of direction I am looking since you have a lot of freedom there as how to play them....which is what I like....
but still there should be SOMETHING written I think hm....
sure will post here when I find anything..
You can get started on slow airs with Walton's "Ireland's Best Slow Airs", book and CD. It's available on-line from the Whistle Shop.

Another source that I particularly like is Mick Woodruff's site, at http://fingertrip.net/whistle/ though not everything there is an air. The site also includes links to the written versions. Take a listen to Róisín Dubh, Sliabh Geal gCua, Amhrán A Leabhair, Turas go Tír na nÓg, and The Lea Rig.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If you really want to play new age music, I seriously doubt that you'll find anything much on paper. What Talbert said is exactly what I'd expect to hear.

One thing you might consider is listening to Native American flute music which seems to lend itself quite well to a new age approach. But I seriously doubt that any of that would be available on paper.
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

A lot of this stuff is improvised, and you can too. Especially in some of the minor pentatonic scales. Try these... (we'll see if the format gets mangled)

Code: Select all

E G A B D E         this is the scale of many native american flutes

E F# A B D E        this is the Japanese "Yo" ("sunny") scale

F# G B C# E F# (when ascending)
F# D C# B G F# (when descending)  Japanese "In" ("cloudy") scale

D E G A B D      this gives you the same intervals as playing just the 
                        black keys on the piano (same notes as the first scale)
Berti66

interesting

Post by Berti66 »

yes I fully understood what talbert said and I accept that.....so I will start try more improvisations and try trad pieces then work them into new agey style.....
tomorrow going to get some music of enya.

thanks for all the replies
berti
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Don't forget New Age's kissin' cousin, Progressive Rock! Especially the Moody Blues. The flute part in the middle of "Nights in White Satin" sounds great on a low G whistle.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

www.google.com
Click
Advanced.

Type.....
"midi" in top box

"new age" in phrase box
Search = loads of the stuff.

If you use summat like MidiNotate then you'll be able to see the notes etc,
delete the tracks you don't want, and leave yerself the bit you want to play. Found some Enya, Mike Oldfield etc tracks all on the first page.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.