The Party's Over.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Party's Over.

Post by Lorenzo »

News sources are predicting that gas prices for automobiles will reach as high as maybe $3 p/gal this next summer, in California. I'm reading a book about the history of energy/oil consumption. There's only 50 years worth of oil left in the earth's reservoirs, and with China's comsumption of oil just getting started, it's hard to imagine that 50 years is left...all subject to change depending on factors like this that may not have been considered. There's no telling where all this is going...I think our better days are numbered, we've enjoyed somewhat carelessly for years, now we may have to learn to adjust to the consequences, unless some miracle happens.
SYNOPSIS:

When Mike Bowlin, Chairman of ARCO, said in 1999 that "We've embarked on the beginning of the last days of the age of oil," he was voicing a truth that many others in the petroleum industry knew but dared not utter. Over the past few years, evidence has mounted that global oil production is nearing its historic peak.

Oil has been the cheapest and most convenient energy resource ever discovered by humans. During the past two centuries, people in industrial nations accustomed themselves to a regime in which more fossil-fuel energy was available each year, and the global population grew quickly to take advantage of this energy windfall. Industrial nations also came to rely on an economic system built on the assumption that growth is normal and necessary, and that it can go on forever.

When oil production peaks, those assumptions will come crashing down.

As we move from a historic interval of energy growth to one of energy decline, we are entering uncharted territory. It takes some effort to adjust one's mental frame of reference to this new reality.
--SYNOPSIS continued here.
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

I've been hearing about this for years. I wonder what kind of world our grandchildren will be left with.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

I have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. In college in the late seventies, I worked with a professor who developed a computer model that showed that even with conservation, maximum exploration, solar energy, wind energy, etc, the world would run out of oil by the year 2000.
Monster

1 for you 19 for me

Post by Monster »

Aaaaaaahhhhh,

Lorenzo, ya worry too much! Everyone knows there's plenty of oil to go around, we just have to convince everyone to share. he he heee eh? :evil: :lol:
insert uber smart comment here
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Yea, I probably worry too much.

The future, in 50 years, doesn't look good to me. 50 doesn't look good to me either. In a few years the US population will be dominated by people in their 50's (and born in the 50's), and frankly that age group seems scarey to me....50 ways to leave your lover and everything. And to think I'll be 50 in a couple years and probably paying $50 each time I fill up the tank, with some other 50 yr. old probably taking my $50 dollar bill (there won't be anything but $50 bills in circulation anymore), and 50 cars ahead of me to get their fill. And a 50/50% chance things will actually be worse than I'm describing too. The only thing that could be worse, I guess, is if it costs $50.50 to fill up the tank. :D
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Lorenzo wrote:Yea, I probably worry too much.

...And to think I'll be 50 in a couple years and probably paying $50 each time I fill up the tank, with some other 50 yr. old probably taking my $50 dollar bill (there won't be anything but $50 bills in circulation anymore), and 50 cars ahead of me to get their fill. And a 50/50% chance things will actually be worse than I'm describing too. The only thing that could be worse, I guess, is if it costs $50.50 to fill up the tank. :D
If it makes you feel any better, Lorenzo, it'd cost you probably over 50 Euro to fill your tank in Ireland right now... No-one actually fills their tanks, though, because it's too expensive, so it's probably more by now. (Last time anyone I know did was 5 or 6 years ago, and I think it cost about 50 pounds. So it'd definitely be more now).

Welcome to the future.

Deirdre
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Lorenzo

Did you by any chance just turn 50 - or are you about to? The number seems to have cabalistic meaning for you.

Fifty years? I'll be dead by then, as will most of the people I know. It is therefore meaningless.

But, FWIW, I doubt that there has been a single generation, other than perhaps our parentsin the brain-dead Eisenhower years, that wasn't actively expecting an apocalypse of some sort or other (oops - forgot "duck and cover")
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Oh, I don't know, maybe it's just my megalophobia coming out again. Yea I'll be 50 in a couple years. We were just talking about the world's oil supply (not Lorenzo's Oil) only lasting for another 50 years and somehow I began to think in terms of fifties. There must be a word for "fear of fifty." I'll be looking for it.

What Fifty Said
Poem by Robert Frost.

When I was young my teachers were the old.
I gave up fire for form till I was cold.
I suffered like a metal being cast.
I went to school to age to learn the past.

Now when I am old my teachers are the young.
What can't be molded must be cracked and sprung.
I strain at lessons fit to start a suture.
I got to school to youth to learn the future.

I see there's already a book written about it called Fear of Fifty: A Midlife Memoir
And look what customers who bought this book also bought...
How to Save Your Own Life
Sappho's Leap: A Novel
Dude, Where's My Country?

...which only increases my phobia of phifty.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

fluter_d wrote:If it makes you feel any better, Lorenzo, it'd cost you probably over 50 Euro to fill your tank in Ireland right now... No-one actually fills their tanks, though, because it's too expensive, so it's probably more by now. (Last time anyone I know did was 5 or 6 years ago, and I think it cost about 50 pounds. So it'd definitely be more now).

Welcome to the future.
I just looked it up on the currency exchange. Yikes! $60 USD for a tank of gas? Not even filled?

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.04.06 05:40:57 GMT.
50.00 Euro = 60.0336 USD

(at least it's not fifty something or other--makes me feel better--but a pity just the same)
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Lorenzo wrote: There must be a word for "fear of fifty." I'll be looking for it.
Pentadecaphobia? (Pure guesswork. But fear of the number 13 is "triskadekaphobia", so who knows?)

With all your experience with sailcraft, I'd think that the oil crash would hardly concern you. Bolt a mast to the top of the car and tack across town.
Lorenzo wrote: What Fifty Said
Poem by Robert Frost.
Here's a poem by Billy Collins, in response to the large number of poets bemoaning their fiftieth birthday, (or other ages of various multiples of ten):

On Turning Ten

The whole idea of it makes me feel
like I'm coming down with something,
something worse than any stomach ache
or the headaches I get from reading in bad light--
a kind of measles of the spirit,
a mumps of the psyche,
a disfiguring chicken pox of the soul.

You tell me it is too early to be looking back,
but that is because you have forgotten
the perfect simplicity of being one
and the beautiful complexity introduced by two.
But I can lie on my bed and remember every digit.
At four I was an Arabian wizard.
I could make myself invisible
by drinking a glass of milk a certain way.
At seven I was a soldier, at nine a prince.

But now I am mostly at the window
watching the late afternoon light.
Back then it never fell so solemnly
against the side of my tree house,
and my bicycle never leaned against the garage
as it does today,
all the dark blue speed drained out of it.

This is the beginning of sadness, I say to myself,
as I walk through the universe in my sneakers.
It is time to say good-bye to my imaginary friends,
time to turn the first big number.

It seems only yesterday I used to believe
there was nothing under my skin but light.
If you cut me I would shine.
But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,
I skin my knees. I bleed.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Lorenzo wrote: I just looked it up on the currency exchange. Yikes! $60 USD for a tank of gas? Not even filled?

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.04.06 05:40:57 GMT.
50.00 Euro = 60.0336 USD

(at least it's not fifty something or other--makes me feel better--but a pity just the same)
You must then realise ireland has one of the lowest fuel prices in Europe, most visitors think petrol is deadly cheap here. All Europeans think fuel is just about given away in the US, which in comparison it is of course.

prices at the moment are high though with 92.9 cents a litre if you get it on the cheap, I have seen stations looking for 98.9 for the litre of unleaded petrol.

I used to know one old guy who in reply to these discussions always said 'fuel prices?, they don't affect me, i always get for 20 euro.' :roll:
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Lorenzo wrote:Yikes! $60 USD for a tank of gas? Not even filled?
That's not the half of it. You just wouldn't believe what they charge for petrol. :wink:
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

lyndamic wrote:I've been hearing about this for years. I wonder what kind of world our grandchildren will be left with.
One that is, by default, NOT oil dependent. I tend to be a dynamist in my thinking. Dependence on oil will go extinct, and (not without growing pains,) humans will change their means of operating things.
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Look on the bright side. Your whistles require very little oil. (There is a small CO2 emission, but that's another subject.)
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

emmline wrote:
lyndamic wrote:I've been hearing about this for years. I wonder what kind of world our grandchildren will be left with.
One that is, by default, NOT oil dependent. I tend to be a dynamist in my thinking. Dependence on oil will go extinct, and (not without growing pains,) humans will change their means of operating things.
Hopefully! But in the meantime, let's buy more and more SUV's. And let's make'em bigger and more gas-guzzling too.
:boggle: