Humphrey retrofit head mini-review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Humphrey retrofit head mini-review

Post by tin tin »

I just received a Gary Humphrey retrofit head for my brass Generation Bb tube, and I am most pleased. Gary’s workmanship and attention to detail is wonderful—this is not PVC as you see it at the hardware store! The two-toned gray PVC looks sharp; I bet it would look great on a nickel tube. You can see some images at Gary’s website: http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970/
The tone is strong and full with moderate volume and nice backpressure. The bottom octave is a bit reedy and complex (with a strong bell note), while the upper octave is clearer. There’s no shrillness, and there’s very little air (if any) in the tone. Balance and air requirements are very even across the range. It’s a very responsive whistle, and ornaments sound crisp and bubbly with a little bit of chiff.
This is an exellent instrument at a great price--high end quality with a mid-range price.
Here’s a related post:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Monster
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Monster »

I have a Raindog fitted head also, I really, really like it. The Gen D tube that I'm using is a bit wonky on the tuning (the f# is 20 or so cents flat), but the whistle head itself puts out a remarkably solid and fairly interesting tone, not too breathy, not too pure. The upper octave plays very nicely under control. If anybody has ideas on a replacement tube please chime in, I was thinking of perhaps a Feadog.
insert uber smart comment here
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I don't have one of Gary's retrofit heads (yet), but I do have a Hoover Whitecap, which I also used to have on a Generation body.

I also found the tuning to be a bit off on the Generation tube.

Having moved the head to an Oak tube made it into a really nice whistle. So an Oak tube would be my recommendation.

--James
Monster

Post by Monster »

peeplj wrote:I don't have one of Gary's retrofit heads (yet), but I do have a Hoover Whitecap, which I also used to have on a Generation body.

I also found the tuning to be a bit off on the Generation tube.

Having moved the head to an Oak tube made it into a really nice whistle. So an Oak tube would be my recommendation.

--James
Hmm, how's the fit with the Oak tube? These are 13 mm tubes (I think), but some seem to be slightly larger than others. Gary makes the heads a little larger to accomodate all, requires a wrap or so of tape with the Gen tube, but nothing drastic. Yeah, so my question is, are the Oak tubes maybe a little larger, smaller, or almost exactly the same as a Gen tube?
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've got my retro-fit head on an Oak tube. I also tried a Generation and a Feadog. The Oak sounds the best to me. None of the three were as in tune as I'd of liked. The Oak almost works without tape, but for a snug fit you do need a bit. :)

Ideally, it would be nice to have a Reyburn body (or some kind of better made/tuned metal body) to try with the retro-fit head.

My solution was to get one of Gary's complete PVC whistles, which is tuned very well but doesn't sound exactally the same as the retro-fit on a metal tube.

-Brett
Monster

Post by Monster »

Right Bretton, I didn't get the PVC tube because of feared tonal characteristics. If I remember correctly, Gary can't find brass tubes in the 13 mm diameter here in the USA, so he doesn't use brass at all. What a pity! :cry: :( :sniffle: (makes me very sad)
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Monster wrote:Right Bretton, I didn't get the PVC tube because of feared tonal characteristics. If I remember correctly, Gary can't find brass tubes in the 13 mm diameter here in the USA, so he doesn't use brass at all. What a pity! :cry: :( :sniffle: (makes me very sad)
From the feedback I've been getting, I gather that most whistlers prefer metal tubes over polymer tubes.
The matter of 13mm brass tubing was my attempt to make my PVC tubes with a short piece of brass grafted to the head end, so that my retrofit heads would also fit my tubes... an idea that wouldn't work very well even if I could find a US source of metric tubing.
I'll stop by Hobby Lobby this evening, and see if they have any 1/2" brass tubing in stock... if they do, I'll try my hand at making a couple of brass Eb and D tubes over the weekend.
If they turn out OK, it may be time to discontinue my PVC tubes!
Of course, if they turn out OK, I should probably also discontinue my retrofit heads... nobody would want to bother with cheapie tubes of questionable tuning if I offered a better alternative.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I put my retrofit on an Oak tube. It's great. The Oak is slightly larger than a Gen tube and the head fits snug without teflon tape. I'd be interested in a Humprey's Whistle brass tube for my retrofit, if thats possible Gary. Let me know if that's available.

Best Regards,
Jon
Monster

Post by Monster »

Gary Wrote:

I'll stop by Hobby Lobby this evening, and see if they have any 1/2" brass tubing in stock... if they do, I'll try my hand at making a couple of brass Eb and D tubes over the weekend.

Or maybe you can strike up a deal with someone from a metric-friendly area right here off the board. You pay them a little something for sending the tubes, and send them a whistle now and again. Would be a lovely thing. :)

I went to Ace hardware today, bought a round file and used it on the tone holes on a Gen Eb, it actually improved things a bit, good enough at least for now. :wink:
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

I too just took delivery of a Humphrey retrofit. I have it on a mark 3 feadog tube, and it is fantastic! Highly recommended.

I have a number of <$100 whistles - Freeman Gen, Susato, O'Briain Improved, Silkstone PVC, Dixon, Clarke Original, etc. - and this is easily my favorite whistle - I've found my Holy Grail. It is sweeter than the Freeman (my second favorite) but still chiffy enough for a traditional sound.
Very responsive - second and third registers are easy transitions.

Shawn