Breath

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aderyn

Breath

Post by Aderyn »

I need some help... I've really been struggling with one thing while playing the flute. My breath. Back when I was active in competitions and performances on my clarinet (albeit 10-15 years ago), I could play for such a long time before needing to take a breath, and I didn't seem to have too much trouble with the whistle-- but now on the flute, yikes! I can't seem to go more than two measures without needing to breathe again. I'm not sure how to build myself back up again, or really even why I'm having such a hard time-- any tips or advice?

~A
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

When you start playing the flute, your embouchure isn't efficient. That's why beginners use so much air. In time, as your embouchure focuses, you will use less air.
~JessieD
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

I would also suggest not blowing too hard into the flute which often is the case with beginners (was one of my problems). Try playing softer with more focus on the embouchure. I had a tendancy to think that if I blew MUCH harder the notes would come out MUCH cleaner -- buth they did not.

Keep at it.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hi Aderyn!

I think Jessie is right on the money--it's all about getting an embouchure and approach that uses air efficiently. (Edited to add that I didn't see Bill's post before I posted. He is also right, many flutists wind up with a harsh or strident tone from trying to play too loud at the start.)

When playing clarinet, the instrument itself provides a great deal of resistance, so your air tends to last a long time. On flute, you have to provide the resistance.

Once your embouchure starts to come together, you shouldn't be using much more air playing flute than you would talking, possibly actually less.

Ok, now to things that will help:

1. Long tones. Start with low G, try to play about medium volume. Try to "clean up" the sound and have as little hiss or other nonmusical sounds as possible. Then once the sound is as good as you can get, pull back and try to play as soft as you can. Don't let pitch fall! You've got to have a well-supported airstream or pitch will take a nose dive. Then come back to normal volume, and slowly increase to loud, and then back to normal. Breath as necessary, of course. ;) Breathing, as is so often pointed out, is a Good Thing. Then move up to A, then B, then C, etc., up to the 2nd octave G, then back down. Doing long tones can be boring but it is about the fastest way I know to get a good tone and good embouchure control. Avoid doing long tones on the lowest notes until you get your embouchure a little further along.

2. Overblow up the harmonic series. Start on the low D, and play it for a few seconds till the sound stabilizes. Then overblow to the 2nd octave D, and let that sound stabilize. Then overblow again, this time to the A (still fingering low D, though), and let the sound stabilize. Then try to overblow again...you get the idea. This is a good exercize for "centering" the embouchure, and it will help a great deal with both tone and air efficiency.

One other thing I would add is don't try to play too loud at first. Get a good tone first and then worry about volume later. A good flute tone will project pretty well even when it's not overbearingly loud.

Blessings, lady, and best of luck on this flutin' stuff.

--James
Steven

Re: Breath

Post by Steven »

Aderyn wrote:I'm not sure how to build myself back up again
Play. A lot. Luckily, that's exactly what most people want to do when they get a flute. Just trust that it will get much easier with time. And in the meantime, you'll get much better at finding alternate places to breathe in tunes!

:-)
Steven
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

Thanks, everyone... I've been experimenting a lot with my embouchure, but it's still hit or miss. Sometimes I get it just right and I'm really pleased with the tone, at other times it's just plain frustrating. :) I've been using the Bill Hart "Better Stronger Faster" book, and have been working at those long tones, in addition to the finger coordination exercises, but I've still got a long way to go. Meanwhile, Spancil Hill and I will just keep getting to know each other better (it's about the only thing I can play halfway decently!). :lol:

I'll just keep at it and trust it will all come together eventually!

~A
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I kind of stumbled onto a useful exercise for learning to blow the right way. I say stumbled because I wasn't taught this, but weirdly it seemed to do a lot of good for me.

We all know that there is an aspect of overblowing the flute to get into the second octave. True, to do it correctly, it's more of a refocus of the embouchure, with perhaps a slight increase in air pressure. But, on the most basic level, you can get a flute to overblow by, well, overblowing.

Here's what I would suggest, and anyone with flute pedagogy experience is invited to censor me if this sounds absolutely insane. Try first to play your flute in the first octave with even volume low D to middle D. Try to play quietly, but clearly, with a nice tight tone, perhaps not too much "burr" or "gravel" or whatever. Sort of non-IrTrad. Play a few tunes with the whole tune in the bottom octave, and get comfortable playing the tune wholly in the low notes.

Next, play the same tune quietly. Keep that focus and the clear tone. You might notice that you seem to have a lot more air than you used to, since you're focusing on playing quietly and cleanly in the bottom octave.

Then, I'd suggest picking a few slower tunes, NOT airs, but maybe a jig or a reel or something that goes into the second octave (Garrett Barry's is a nice one). Try playing with the same amount of volume in both octaves. You might find, at first, that you need a little more air, and that you have to play louder. That's fine. But work on making the two octaves balanced. It might seem like going above high G is difficult, but work at getting the whole second octave in balance volume-wise with the first.

Last, play the whole tune quietly spanning both octaves. You might find yourself, if you're anything like me (God help you), suddenly the master of huge lungs. It's very liberating. Once you can play across the two octaves quietly, in balance, start playing louder.

Once you can accomplish this, it might get even easier to vary the tone, and take on that nice "burr" we look for in Irish flute playing. Or, play cleanly.

I don't mean to say that this will take one sitting, either. But it worked for me, and I didn't know it was going to happen until I really tried to play quietly. Once I got quiet, I realize how much harder I was pushing the second octave. So, I worked on making the second octave quiet, and a light went off, and I "found" my embouchure.

I hope it makes sense!

Stuart
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

A couple of other things that may be useful: work in front of a mirror some, especially when you're having a particularly good or bad day. Tilt your head back a little so that you can see the shape of your embouchure, and experiment a little, noting the shape when you're getting a particularly good or bad sound. The other is trying to get overtones/harmonics when you're playing long notes. Starting on low D, you should be able to get the second D, and eventually the high A and the third-octave D just by changing your lips, the direction and pressure of the airstream, not by using more air.

Different things work for different people, and among all the suggestions people have given, something should work. Keep in mind that nothing's going to work overnight, and progress is likely to come in fits and starts.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
theotherleadingbrand

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

I like Sturob's advice. I'm just starting to try that and am having some modest success. One thing I'm finding with my embouchure, (and I'm not sure if this is particularly good or not) is that I'm having better results if I use my lower lip as a sort of firm cushion, and use my upper lip to manipulate the direction and focus of the embouchure. Although I don't go totally to the extreme, my emphasis is weighted a little bit that way. I hope that makes sense. I'm using a bamboo flute right now that is somewhere between D, & Eb, and not really in tune with itself either. It is my hope that when my Healy arrives I will be good enough on the bamboo flute to appreciate the difference.

By the way Sturob, welcome to Toronto! Have you checked out all the tourist traps yet?
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Um, some of them! Are you here too?

And what the heck is up with snow in March? Don't tell me it snows in April! ;)

What do you recommend, tourist-trap-wise? I actually haven't been up the CN Tower yet. Probably should, on a clear day.

Stuart
theotherleadingbrand

Post by theotherleadingbrand »

I was born and raised here, although I have lived elsewhere for years at a time. Usually by the end of March winter is out of steam. Farther north it can take a while longer so I guess we get off lucky. Toronto is pretty much as "Miami" as you can get in this part of the country. The last time I went up the CN tower I was about 10 I think. You get quite a view from there but I think that revolving restaurant thing is overated. If you really want to make the most out of your time in this province you'll have to go canoeing. I spend as much time as I can during the summer out in the lakes and woods. As for more urban activities the restaurants in the annex are a good place to start. PM me if you want to know more info, I'm getting worried this post will turn into a big tourist brochure soon.

Dale
I changed my mind. Then I found out the new one was smaller and weaker.
talasiga

focusing without aim

Post by talasiga »

JessieK wrote:When you start playing the flute, your embouchure isn't efficient. That's why beginners use so much air. In time, as your embouchure focuses, you will use less air.
This is a samurai stroke and it cuts to the nub.
Aderyn, heed this, its good.

And how to develop that embouchure focus?
I don't know although I have been playing flute
for 35 years or so and am never conscious of breath
except in moments of deliberated pauses.

I do know that in the first few years I played
it for the joy of exploring long notes and elusive silences
and would find landmarks with good echoes
for "shakuhachi" style soundscape excursions.

May I suggest such an approach to develop that embouchure focus?
Leave the repertoire music till later.

Enjoy.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Aderyn

Post by Aderyn »

BillG wrote:I would also suggest not blowing too hard into the flute which often is the case with beginners (was one of my problems). Try playing softer with more focus on the embouchure. I had a tendancy to think that if I blew MUCH harder the notes would come out MUCH cleaner -- buth they did not.

Keep at it.

Thanks BillG! I hadn't realized how hard I was blowing until you made this suggestion... I spent the weekend working on it, and am much happier now with my breathing. I still have a long way to go, but at least now I don't feel like I'm going to pass out every time I play! ;)

I appreciate everyone's advice... I'm hoping that, over time, my embouchure will improve to allow a much better tone in the second octave and that the breathing will only continue to get better. :) Thanks again!!

Best,
Andrea
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

swim laps. This is an athletic activity, like singing
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Peeplj and sturob,

thanks for the good posts. I'm in the middle of the same situation. And will stay there for a while, too.

E :)