Whistle AND flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you whistle AND flute?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:31 am

Whistle only
39%
flute only
2%
both whistle and flute
59%

Total votes: 82

BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle AND flute

Post by BillG »

I see many names here and on the flute board but not ALL of you/us on both. I wondered how many of you/us play both whistle and flute, flute only, or whistle only.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I can't for the life of me get the embouchure right. My wife tried helping me, and I can get a pure tone holding just the mouthpiece (where you start with Flute 101), but add the barrel and my fingers and...nothing!

I stick to whistling. Though I fiddle a lot more...
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

As rarely as I'm on the Poststructural board nowadays, I post on the flute far less because I'm such a rank beginner. I'm not interested in the Brand X vs Brand Y discussions, and spend all my time trying to get a good, sustained tone, and go from note to note on the flute.

Oh, and your poll will be very skewed, as flute-only players don't tend to come to the whistle board much.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

While I play both, I mainly play flute...I agree with Tyghress about fluters not coming over here very often. I glance at the flute page a couple of times a day, but I only hit the whistle page a few times per week.

Eric
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I started as a devout whistler. Now, almost 6 years later, I play both, but mostly flute.

:)
~JessieD
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I play both,but the flute has taken a back seat(o.k.,it's so far back it's currently in the boot!)since I got my Uilleann pipes*-well I was already a crap whistler and a crap fluter,so why not go for the triple-crown? :lol:
I did actually have a go at my old nach Meyer piccolo the other day,after listening to the sound clip of 'Shepherds Hey',and quite enjoyed myself.
I visit all the boards regularly,but perhaps don't treat the Whistle board with quite the 'gravitas' that it perhaps deserves-maybe due to the high percentage of O.T. posts carried( :P ),then again,it is really the 'beating heart' of C. & F.,this being primarily a WHISTLE site.
Maybe you would want to include Pipes in the poll as well (we even have some members who play other types of pipes,as well as U.P.'s)-I know that I'm not the only member who 'plays' all three.

* :devil: You do of course realise that I'm damned for all eternity now don't you? :devil:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

kevin m. wrote: I know that I'm not the only member who 'plays' all three.

* :devil: You do of course realise that I'm damned for all eternity now don't you? :devil:
Bodhran, piano accordion and recorder. Kevin, how could you? :lol:

The devil has the best tunes but not necessarily the best instruments.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to add Spoons,but I thought that I might be over-stretching myself!
Ah well,back to Piping Practice Purgatory! :roll:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Mainly whistle, also pipes and fiddle (badly). We also have some piano accordions around here, but I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. :twisted:

J.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

feadogin wrote: We also have some piano accordions around here, but I wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. :twisted:

J.
Neither would I. They sound bad enough when you just use your fingers. :D
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Most of my flute playing is on a Boehm system flute. I just recently started playing ITM on my Boehm after reading Grey Larsen's book. It works surprisingly well, though my flute's mechanisms are a little clackity.

I hope to own a Casey Burns flute one of these days. (The $250 one....)

:D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Wombat wrote: Neither would I. They sound bad enough when you just use your fingers. :D
!!!! :lol:
Montana

Post by Montana »

I started playing Boehm flute in grade school so I have played it for a long (longer than I like to think) time. However, when I don't have people to play with, interest wanes. So it sat unused for a while when I lived someplace that didn't have a city band.
Got involved with ITrad since my last move but started out joining sessions with my guitar. Saw some people with whistles so I brought the flute a couple of times and once I brought... yes... a r*c*rd*r. But they didn't seem authentic enough so I picked up the whistle.
While I now play both in our band, I prefer the whistle because of the authentic sound (those damn clacking keys don't quite cut it). But I am thinking of getting an irish flute, in which case I might use a flute a bit more.
talasiga

bodhor

Post by talasiga »

Wombat wrote:......
Bodhran.......
:roll:

Anyway, what is it with you
and the old tray?

:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Just whistle for me. I've owned one o' them silver Boehm flutes, but found the fingering a bit odd in the upper reaches. I've also owned some bamboo six-hole flutes from Taiwan, and could play a few Chinese and Appalachian folksongs on them, but they all ended up splitting many years ago.

I'd might like to try something like the Casey Burns Folk Flute some day, but the whistle is already cutting into my guitar time. Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the sounds I can get out of the whistle.

I started on guitar and added 5-string banjo, mandolin, fiddle, and bass, all of which I've played in bands (and oddities like autoharp, Appalachian dulcimer, harmonica, r*c*rd*r, and erhu), but over the years I've pared that down to mostly guitar and a tiny bit of mandolin. I finally decided that I'd rather play one instrument halfway competently than hack around with a dozen.

I went to whistle because I wanted those long sustained vocal-like notes for slow songs, and fiddle is just too darned hard after being away from it for over 25 years. Hearing players like Mick Woodruff and Tony Higgins convinced me that I should give the whistle a try.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe