Traveling Flutes (M&E, Seery, Healy?)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davemoffsite
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hammy Practice flute

Post by davemoffsite »

Hey - I just remembered that Hammy sells a student/practice flute for about 70 Euro -- has anybody played one of those - that might be just the ticket - indestructable, perhaps a little quieter, cheap enough to allow a waitlist for a nice blackwood :-)
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Uh, no, not what you're looking for.
~JessieD
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

There is one of Hammie's practice flutes on eBay right now, and the price is good ($75 buy it now I think with free shipping in the US). Search for "irish flute" and it will come up. I've never played one before, but cylindrical bore flutes just never sound the same to me as a conical bore. Also, the one piece construction would seem like a travel nightmare to me.

Another option if you prefer wood is one of M&E's wooden flutes. If I recall correctly, his blackwood is about $400 or so or even Casey Burn's starter flute would be great for travel since it's only wood with no slide and thus less prone to cracking.

Eric
Steven

Post by Steven »

glauber wrote:
BillG wrote:Suggested place for carrying case for Blackwood flutes (or any other):

http://www.holstersupply.com/gunguardpage3.htm
What does airport security do when they see you board a plane with a rifle case? :)

Does this work well for keyed flutes too?

g
Well, the pistol cases at the bottom of the page would probably be better for a flute. And I've taken mine on the plane (carry-on) with no problems at all from security. Once they even searched my bag, but didn't give it a second look (apparently my wife had forgotten about the 2-inch blunt embroidery scissors in her cross-stitch bag, which is what they were looking for). The case is small enough to fit into a fairly small duffel bag that I use for carry-on, it protects the flute very well, and you can even put some accessories like a cleaning stick (and maybe a whistle or two) between the foam and the outer casing.

:-)
Steven
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is one of the reasons I'm afraid to fly. Best
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Question: how a Healy flute could make good travelling flute more than another? Does he make poly flutes?
glauber

Post by glauber »

He makes wooden flutes, but very strong ones ("strong enough to kill a man", as said a post that caused all sorts of trouble in the Woodenflute list :D). Specifically, he uses metal tenons, so eliminating one of the things that could crack (the tenons). Other than that, as i said, wooden flutes travel well anyway.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I understand! Thanks Glauber! By the way why flutes with such a tuning slide are this rare? It looks good!

Anyway, I really like the look of Healy Flutes. I like there modern style.

Anybody can say anything on how they sound?

Good dog Glauber! (sorry ... couldn't resist!)

Thanks!
glauber

Post by glauber »

Woof!

I tried a Healy flute only once; it belonged to someone in the Boxwood organization. I thought it was solid, heavy and loud. Maybe a little particular with the intonation, but nothing worth calling the cops about. I'd love to have one.

The metal tenons work very nicely; they have the same feel of a modern ("silver") flute and don't require maintenance.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Skip Healy prides himself on making instruments quickly. He has no waiting list because he runs his workshop as a factory, with each step done by someone using a highly specialized jig within a machine. Lovers of his flutes like their power. His flutes do not, however, have the same feel or finish as more typical, more handmade, simple system flutes.
~JessieD
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I think we've drifted a bit from flute types to case types. Returning to the former...

I've traveled quite a bit with a Casey Burns mopane flute. It's the very basic model with no metal hardware at all. It's survived 3 Colorado winters now and trips to Germany and Japan as well as a few domestic trips. No problems at all. I oil the flute occasionally, but otherwise don't take special care of it.

I would be more hesitant to treat it this way if it had a metal lined head or something like that...
davemoffsite

Aaaarrrrggghhhh - my decision got made for me.

Post by davemoffsite »

Thanks to all of you for your input, but the the decision got made for me yesterday....part of my job that I forgot about was that I sometimes am so rushed that everything is left out in the car while I meet with customers. In this case, 3 hours, middle of the day in Los Angeles, and the sun was up in force. Enough that some of the toys my son left in the car got 'soft'.

M&E wins. I can't do that with wood. Of course I will have to find a good waitlist to get on in the meantime, so I have a traveling flute and an at home instrument :-). Hmm, this is sounding better all the time.

By the way, I'd sent Michael an email a couple days ago and no response. Has he been out? There was another thread where someone couldn't get ahold of him also.

Thanks again!
Dave
jlfinkels
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: How doth the little crocodile
     Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
     On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
     How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
     With gently smiling jaws!

Post by jlfinkels »

I was going to email him as well and order one. Let us know if you reach him via email, otherwise I'll just give him a call.