Desert Island Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Stu H
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Desert Island Whistle

Post by Stu H »

In the spirit of the long-running BBC Radio 4 programme, I would like to ask what one whistle you would take if you were to be a castaway on a desert island.

Something familiar to remind you of home or perhaps something challenging to help fill those long hours of solitude.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Stu, have you seen this discussion?

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=16868

You might find this enlightening. :)

Jef
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

A Boson's Whistle. Complete with Boson's mate, crew and ship to get the hell off the island. :thumbsup:

Scott McCallister
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The Water Weasel, I think. It's too loud for me to play at home, so I'd enjoy giving it some breath with no-one around to complain about the 'noise'. Plus, it'd survive a lot longer than I would.

(But I'd rather take a flute, and spend the years of solitude learning to play that).

:)

PS...That Sue Lawley woman wouldn't turn up, would she?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

It would be an alto wooden whistle.
Now, Grinter F, Yvon-Le-Coant G?

Finally, I'd choose my "Strathoflute" but does this multikeyed gas factory count as whistle, or is it cheating?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Jeferson wrote:Stu, have you seen this discussion?

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=16868

You might find this enlightening. :)

Jef
1) the whistle I play the most is not the whistle I would take to a desert island.

2) its kind of nice to see new people on the board and have them participate and see what they would say to the questions we may have seen weeks or months ago. If we don't encourage this, there will be four whistle related threads, and countless OT threads to slog through. :sniffle:

And I second the Water Weasel D. If its a true desert island I want something that would stand up to the elements. If it were just a matter of isolation and never being able to play another whistle, probably a Burke D because I find the sound to be the most consistent, top to bottom, most pleasant overall, and easiest to play.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

Thanks Tyghress - at least you've got the idea.

The whistle I would take I also do not own - it would be one of Staceys new Low As for the following reasons:

I could use it as a spear shaft, or an arrow quiver.

Put cork in the holes & it could hold gallons of water.

It could be an emergancy drainpipe in monsoon weather.

An I would spend the rest of my life learning how to play it!
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Ah, but it's Ally, and would corrode nastily in the salty sea-breezes :o

I did think about the Alba low D (which I have, and v.nice it is too) on the grounds that it might make a useful launcher for signalling devices as well as being a fine whistle. But then I thought about it a bit longer, and decided that it might be quite nice simply to enjoy the splendid isolation, forget about signalling for rescue, and just chill out to the indestructible tones of the WW...

:)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

A Sindt D and "121 Session Tunes" to learn.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

A standard Clare or other Generation-style D whistle would be fine.
pizak

do I have to take Sue Lawley too?

Post by pizak »

It used to be a high D that I made out of copper pipe.... tho I don't know how long it would last!!! Except I've misplaced it round the house and can't find it.

I love my Feadog.... but only in D - the Cnat is horrible (I don't half hole) - and I couldn't avoid every tune in G!!!

So I think it would be my Dixon low D..... firstly very solid, reliable, wont rust, and secondly give me the chance to become a top low whistle player.

Oh and I'd like a lot of tunebooks :-) or maybe O'Neills if I'm allowed one.

Paul
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My Overton Bb would be great for digging holes and clubbing the occasional manta ray, but I'd take the Burke D Session Pro for playing. I just love it.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Agree with pizak on the Dixon low D. Indestructable, beautiful sound, (if somewhat quiet) and quite user friendly.

I would actually want my Dixon high D (the single MOST 'in tune' whistle I own), but it has the brass tuning slide and I don't know how it would fare on a "salty aire" :P

BTW - I am a huge fan of the Dixons I own. I know some have complained about problems with individual whistes not being in tune, but both of mine are perfect, at least to my ear; which is, after all, what counts the most, eh? :wink:
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

My Sweetheart laminate would be the winner.

My Burke Composite would be the runner-up.

My Water Weasel would be 2nd runner-up.

:D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'll rule out wooden whistles since they mightn't stand up too well to the climate. I think my Sindt D or C probably wins; like a Generation but less likely to get damaged.

I find it hard to leave out a couple of Burkes (C and G), a Copeland low D and about half a dozen Overtons. (I think I'll smuggle them along too.)