My Last Post For The Time Being

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
elendil

My Last Post For The Time Being

Post by elendil »

This afternoon I received an email from Dale in which he asked me to "throttle back a bit" on my OT posting. In my reply I asked for a slight clarification: did that mean I should throttle back a bit on all OT posts or simply that I should throttle back a bit on initiating OT threads? I haven't heard back from Dale (perhaps he's simply out to dinner), but in the meantime I came to this decision: I'll simply stop posting for the time being.

Obviously, Dale wasn't asking me to leave the board. On the other hand, what might seem to be "throttling back a bit" to one person might seem to another to be a form of thumbing one's nose. It seems fairly pointless to get involved in something of that sort.

I would like to thank those from whom I've learned as well as those who have directed encouraging remarks my way. In a way, this may be a bit of a blessing. I've been thinking for some time that I should be spending a little more time practicing my recorder (hey, thanks, Jayhawk, for the Aulos recommendation) and pursuing my reading. So, I'll call this taking a sabbatical.

Dale, if for any reason you wish to post our correspondence, feel free to do so. Just delete my email address.
elendil
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You're sure you're not overreacting? I think throttling back is pretty clear. Just behave as normal, except on two out of three posts that you type, don't hit the submit button. That should take care of it. :)

I don't think you need to be told that people appreciate your posts. There is too much of a good thing, of course, and that's how you should look at it.
/Bloomfield
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

What he said.

Your posts are often thought provoking in a way that I appreciate and would miss if you stopped entirely. If you would just keep doing what you're doing, but not quite so much, so as to leave a little more room for other kinds of threads, I think you would get a more favorable hearing, generally.

As to whether this applies to starting threads yourself or posting to existing threads, I would say both, since you can keep an existing thread (or five) at the top of the board if you post to it excessively.

Best wishes,
Jerry
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

He meant what he said, I'm sure, nothing more.
What people have objected to on the board
is your starting lots of OT posts on
way out topics, often with some lengthy and densely
argued article. That's the principal thing people
want you to cut back on, I reckon.
Also posting very long quotations as parts
of OT posts, which you've already stopped
doing, I think.

Certainly you can say what you think;
and start the occasional OT thread,
but basically be one of the gang.
That'll do it.

Please, not the recorder, though. Best
boomerang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boomerang »

no one i know especially me likes being told what do do, i guess as adults we sometimes feel we should be beyond this,
but hey we are not,
and feelings get hurt,
beyond the short term frustration, step back, then think

sometimes people say things with good intentions, that dont come across quite right, this is especially true of typed words.

realise what is most important to you, then act accordingly,
sometimes humble pie can be good enough to go back for seconds!!
:oops: :)
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Bloomfield wrote:I don't think you need to be told that people appreciate your posts. There is too much of a good thing, of course, and that's how you should look at it.
That's probably about right. You're clearly a deep thinker who has much to contribute. Having initiated more than half a dozen way OT topics in the last week alone, elendil, you had me wondering if you planned on making this a regular pattern. The news that you won't, for whatever reason, is appreciated. As for Dale, a reasonable amount of patience is in order...don't forget that the man is on his deathbed. ;)

Jef
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

"Help, help, I'm being repressed!"
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've enjoyed several of your OT topic threads. Some have been truely thought provoking. I'll miss those.

(I have wondered lately though, if you were spending just a bit too much time on the computer :P )

Take care and I do hope that you'll grace us with the occasional OT thread
in your signature style.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The supremely self-indulgent move is
to pick up one's marbles and go home. Best
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

...a little elendil trivia:

Approximately, how long was it after he joined C&F that he seemed surprised and confused that someone would actually stray from the topic of music?

What was elendil's previous username and why did he have it changed, and who helped him figure out how to change it?

Where did he get the name elendil from and what is the spelling of the full original name?

How long has elendil been playing whistle/recorder instruments?

What on-topic subject did elendil first emphasize over and over, as if nearly obsessed, thinking we hadn't understood the message yet?

What other instrument does elendil play, and why has he not played it much lately?

EXTRA:
How many days do you think he will be gone?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:...a little elendil trivia:

Approximately, how long was it after he joined C&F that he seemed surprised and confused that someone would actually stray from the topic of music?

What was elendil's previous username and why did he have it changed, and who helped him figure out how to change it?

Where did he get the name elendil from and what is the spelling of the full original name?

How long has elendil been playing whistle/recorder instruments?

What on-topic subject did elendil first emphasize over and over, as if nearly obsessed, thinking we hadn't understood the message yet?

What other instrument does elendil play, and why has he not played it much lately?

EXTRA:
How many days do you think he will be gone?
Umm, Mr. Lorenzo, sir? Are we going to be graded on this, or is it a practice quiz? :lol:
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

please post the answers online.... that way we wont have to study :)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I'm pretty sure he used to be "tinuviel" or something else Tolkien-ish. He had to change it because he discovered it was the name of a female character.

I think he'll be gone maybe 3 days, at most.

Not sure about the rest of that junk though.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

TelegramSam wrote:I'm pretty sure he used to be "tinuviel" or something else Tolkien-ish. He had to change it because he discovered it was the name of a female character.

I think he'll be gone maybe 3 days, at most.

Not sure about the rest of that junk though.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=109426
Reasonable person
Walden
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was asked to stop talking about whistle playing so much. Confused people.

(Just kidding. I'm such a jerk.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”