Brass Whistles--Polish or Patina?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Chuck_Clark wrote:What's marmite? If it's anything like Vegemite, I can understand why we don't have it. That stuff is just plain nasty.
Marmite:

Cheesemite:

Woostershire:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Norma wrote:Worcestershire...couldn't make decent sweet and sour ribs without it! After growing up hearing my Mom pronounce it ...
"Wor-ches-ter-shyre", I actually heard someone on TV say...
"Wortch-t'-sher"
Any of you UK'ers out there care to straighten me out?
I almost hate to say it Norma, but that French-speaking Zoob got it right...Wooster Sauce is how it is...

Trisha, 1 hour 30 from the city of Worcester in that country next door, England :lol:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Chuck_Clark wrote: What's marmite? If it's anything like Vegemite, I can understand why we don't have it. That stuff is just plain nasty.
Vegemite is gross I agree. Marmite, spread thinly on hot buttered toast, is WONDERFUL stuff.

Trisha
trisha

Guess what.....

Post by trisha »

Now Zoob can make salad dressing for his whistles...for...

"Brass will look brighter and require less polishing if rubbed with a cloth moistened with olive oil after each polishing. Olive oil retards tarnish. -- Michigan State University Extension".

Should put the brass whistle on an equal footing with the supposedly more "slippery" nickel whistle.

Trisha - again :D
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Scrub it down good with a strip of chamois leather.

Mmmm, gold whistle, me like..
talasiga

IMLI

Post by talasiga »

talasiga wrote:I pefer tamarind
Trisha,
this is the "secret" ingredient in your Worcestershire Sauce.
Tamarind is an edible (thus, non toxic) fruit without an offensive
smell and which is cheaper than lemon juice in the long run
and without that vinegar odour.
Try it on anything that shines especially brass
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
trisha

Post by trisha »

Hi Talasiga...well it works. I have a reshined Copeland Low D which has endured the Worcestershire Sauce treatment followed by a wipe with a damp cloth and, once dry, the lighest smear of olive oil. It looks good.

I have tamarind block here for Indonesian/Thai cookery, but I guess it would be too dry and would need reconstituting a little to use.

There is also two sorts of vinegar and salt in the concoction...but it smells a whole lot better than neat vinegar I agree :) .

Trisha
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I appreciate all the info so far, but I'm not sure I can use edible products on it without getting hungry and over-salivating while playing--except maybe tamarind, which isn't too appealing to me all by itself.

By the way, for the Brits in the audience, I've used Lea & Perrins all my life, and consider it the only real WS. The L&P FAQ at http://www.lea-and-perrins.com/contacts.php says:

Is the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce sold in the US the same as the sauce sold in the rest of the world?
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is made to the original recipe in two factories. The original factory in Worcester, and a sister factory in New Jersey USA. The New Jersey factory follows the same recipe as the Worcester factory, although some ingredients are sourced locally. Product sold in the rest of the world is manufactured and exported from our factory in Worcester, UK. (Worcester refers to the town itself, whilst Worcestershire indicates the 'shire' or county in which the town of Worcester is located).
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
billw

Post by billw »

trisha wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote: What's marmite? If it's anything like Vegemite, I can understand why we don't have it. That stuff is just plain nasty.
Vegemite is gross I agree. Marmite, spread thinly on hot buttered toast, is WONDERFUL stuff.

Trisha
Marmite is too bleedin' mild, cobbers. Yer need the real Veggie on a hard bikkie to be right. Most of you Yanks use too much and then complain the taste's too strong! Dab on the end o yer knife's all it wants! Heat?! Wut yer playin' at-- breedin' the stuff?!

Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I like to put a thin coat of lacquer or spray shellac on them. It keeps it looking nice and doesn't affect the tone.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

vegemite???? nasty????
neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My daughter becomes very disheartened if she doesnt have her vegemite and cheese sandwich for lunch,

Most aussies have grown up with the stuff,
the thing to remember, it is a flavouring not a meal
it must be spread on bread / toast with butter with only a VERY light scraping, otherwise it can become overpowering

In this case less is more
but its just lovely :)

David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Marmite is for sissies! Real bullies eat Bovril!

Bovril, the "Beefy" one. They say it's "beef extract". I suspect they ecxlusively use the horns and hoofs...
Whatever!

Real men eat Beef Extract--Bovril! Image
Yeast extract is to be drunk, not eaten! Image

And I reluctantly admit we Frenchmen do it all wrong by drinking our local Bovril,
the VIANDOX

not to be confused with its competitor beef OXO, nor Bill Ochs of course, or

FLYTOX (flies extract)

What disturbs me is I heard Americans eat and drink Maalox.
What's that? Male extract?
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Marmite and Vegemite are similar. Both are great. Spread thickly or thinly on toast, yeast extract is wonderful stuff. However, it is at its coolest when spread on one slice of toast and then sandwiched against another piece of toast bearing an equvalent spread of coarse peanut butter.

As a vegetarian I don't use beef extract, but I do recall from my omnivore days that its flavour is comparitively bland. Far from being for "real men" it is for those too squeamish to cope with the full-on biteback of Marmite.

In the UK, the love-it-or-hate-it nature of Marmite is exploited in a fairly brave and amusing advertising campaign. Some of the ads show people almost gagging at the taste, and the two conflicting slogans they use are "My mate, Marmite" and "I hate Marmite"!

As for "woos-ter-sheer" sauce... yum yum... (for US natives, try not to pronounce the letter "r" so emphatically - Unlike the Scots and Cornish, most English peeps are very lazy when it comes to "r" at the end of syllables/words).

Another glorious combination I feel compelled to share with you is vodka mixed with Lilt (a fruit flavoured, carbonated soft drink/soda) with a few drops of Tabasco pepper sauce.

Er... but I don't know if it can be used to clean whistles.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Bah. I poo-pooh your Bovril with its slimy consistency and its questionable beefy content; ah blow ma nose in its general direction! Marmite Forever.

But you also mention the C-natural of gravy-like stock-cubes also of questionable beefy origin... OXO (Not to be confused with Bisto neither).

In a Las Vegas Walmart I asked if they had any gravy granules, or OXO, or Bisto... they laughed at me and gave me a packet of something which I think was wallpaper paste with pieces of dried onion. "Gravy" is proof that many of us are divided by a common language. Bovril is proof that *some* people will eat anything. Marmite proves the existence of a benevolent deity.

(But I will not recommend cleaning whistles with any of the above).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
trisha

Post by trisha »

GaryKelly wrote: Bovril is proof that *some* people will eat anything. Marmite proves the existence of a benevolent deity.
Precisely, exactly, agreed :) .

Trisha[/quote]