(OT) If you had four days in Ireland...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Spend a whole day in Dublin (Book of Kells, Kilmainham Gaol, National museum on Kildare St, Temple Bar area, Brazen Head pub), then go up to see Newgrange the next day (it's worth a side trip of the 30 miles), then back down to the freeway around Dublin and west to Kildare. They have a round tower there that you can climb all the way up for a coin or two. Then down to Waterford (the medieval walls are still standing), then up to Kilkenny for a night. The next day see the Rock of Cashel and Castle Cahir, then head toward Limerick and spend the night somewhere in that area. On the fourth day see King John's castle and Bunratty and have a pint in Durty Nelly's. That still leaves you plenty of time to rub elbows with Irish folk in the pubs and you'll be near the airport for your departure.
Last edited by blackhawk on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Northern Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Northern Whistler »

:boggle: Your skipping Wales?
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Thanks, you guys and gals are awesome!!!

I knew if anybody could answer a question or offer suggestions, it would be Chiff & Fipplers. :)

Tonight I will sit down with a map and my laptop and find the places that were mentioned.

Now it all boils down to the eternal question: which whistle do I bring? :D
"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began."
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

Wales will have to wait until next time (hope, hope). If only we had longer to stay!!!
"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began."
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I feel sorry for you. We had 2 weeks and it wasn't nearly enough. I love the Dingle penninsula but I also like west Galway and Clare. One place not mentioned that is beautiful is Glendalough. In Dublin I enjoyed St. Patrick Cathedral and Temple Bar. Quite frankly I didn't see a place I didn't like. Enjoy yourself.

Ron
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I forgot to mention one of the most important things about Dublin. First, don't drive in downtown Dublin...take the bus. But anyway, when you get downtown, ask around for the city bus tours. There are some 15 locations where they stop. You pay the bus driver a small fee (it was 6 Irish pounds when I first went over in 98 ) and he takes you on a tour of 15 important sites. You can get off at any of the sites, tour the area, and get back on the bus any time you want by simply going back to the place where you got off the bus. There will be another bus coming by within 15 minutes and you simply show them the ticket and you get back on for free and go to the next site you'd like to visit. If you don't get off at all, you get a nice tour of the historic downtown area. The whole time, the driver is giving you a running explanation of what you're seeing. The drivers are so full of info and good humor, they are worth the price of the ticket all by themselves. Ask your B&B owner or hotel clerks for details.
Last edited by blackhawk on Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Hils

I'm with Blackhawk!

Post by Hils »

Blackhawk had some very good ideas but I didn't see any warnings. My number 1 warning is Temple Bar.. look out for those pubs. I had the biggest hangover in my life from there. We went to Oliver St John Gogarty's pub, great Irish music and whistle playing, but.....Ouch! the next morning....Warning number 2 In North America they drive on the right, in England they drive on the left and in Dublin they drive right down the middle, so make sure your medical insurance is good. Anyway heed Blackhawk, there are some good suggestions there.
blackhawk

Re: I'm with Blackhawk!

Post by blackhawk »

Hils wrote:Blackhawk had some very good ideas but I didn't see any warnings. My number 1 warning is Temple Bar.. look out for those pubs. I had the biggest hangover in my life from there. We went to Oliver St John Gogarty's pub, great Irish music and whistle playing, but.....Ouch! the next morning....Warning number 2 In North America they drive on the right, in England they drive on the left and in Dublin they drive right down the middle, so make sure your medical insurance is good. Anyway heed Blackhawk, there are some good suggestions there.
Thank you, Hils. I had to laugh about them driving down the middle of the road in Dub. :lol: It's so true! And Oliver St John Gogarty's is one of the best pubs in Ireland. I like your taste, Hils.

--Plato
glauber

Post by glauber »

I'd first of all try to get me one of them leprechaums. Then i'd make him grant me 3 wishes. My first wish would be for 3 more wishes. And so on.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Northern Whistler

Post by Northern Whistler »

I agree the city bus tours are worth it. Your ticket lasts for 24hrs and you can get on and off as you please. You gotta watch it though and go on the one called City bus tour, not one of the other ones with taped recordings. And it also stops at the Guinness brewery which would cost you 10 E anyway to get there from downtown.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Do the Jail in Dublin, incredibly interesting.
Although it's out of your way, do a black cab tour of Belfast,
interesting in that depressing sorta way. I loved Belfast,
more so than any other city other than Dingle. Oh! And do the
Giant's Causeway, (you can stay at a place called the sheep Island Inn, or something like that, remarkable place in a town called Balintoy (two pubs in the town, right across from eachother, makes for a dangerous crawl, especially considering the proximity of a very rough North Atlantic) at hostel prices. I guess this is a bit much for a couple days *sigh*
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Montana wrote: It's a little south of your course but the Rock of Cashel is very cool. And a little south of that, Cahir Castle has some great history and is fun to roam around in!
I agree with Kar that you should get a good guidebook to find out what is available that you might be interested in.
and in between is the Swiss Cottage! DEFINITELY an unusual little house and worth the stop.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
trisha

Post by trisha »

RonKiley wrote:I feel sorry for you. We had 2 weeks and it wasn't nearly enough.
Ron
When I "did" Ireland as a student we had a month and that wasn't enough either. Dublin I'm sure is the only place in the world where they serve brown tomato juice...sort of 50% Worcester sauce. I learned my lesson and drunk nowt but Guinness thereafter. I just loved all the little back-of-the-house pubs and the music.

Trisha in musical Wales :D
Hils

Re: I'm with Blackhawk!

Post by Hils »

Thank you, Hils. I had to laugh about them driving down the middle of the road in Dub. :lol: It's so true! And Oliver St John Gogarty's is one of the best pubs in Ireland. I like your taste, Hils.[/quote]

It was my taste that got me the hangover. We walked back to our hotel through St Stephens Green, so I was told. I think I had a good time. Only in Dublin!
dclawyer

Post by dclawyer »

I spent a few days in Dublin last year. I was there on business but in all of my free time I walked all over seeing the sights. I stayed in wonderful hotel, the Schoolhouse Hotel, which was very close to most of what I wanted to see in Dublin. The hotel is a converted schoolhouse, very old, with rooms themed after famous irish writers. I highly recommend it if your budget allows and if you're staying in Dublin.

http://www.theschoolhousehotel.activehotels.com/THE

By the way, I've been lurking on the board for a while but this is my first official post!