What's a reasonable price for a Ormiston D (unkeyed)?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Borderpiper
antispam: No

What's a reasonable price for a Ormiston D (unkeyed)?

Post by Borderpiper »

I was thinking of getting a second hand ormiston in D with no keys I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of a reasonable price?
BMFW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BMFW »

They don't seem to hold their value too well from what I've seen, so if you've got your heart set on one, you might just be able to pick up a bargain. I've seen a couple around the £300-£350 mark over the last wee while. (Seems a good price when they are £540 new!)
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

There's one for sale on ebay right now - ending on 18 February. (I haven't actually looked at the ad - I saw it advertised on an ebay alert I'd set up). It was up to £275 which is a great price...
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Tradman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Ormiston

Post by Tradman »

Well, to be honest with you I dont know why their resale value is low. I have one that I bought second hand for about $550 BUT TO ME the flute is well worth more. I love it, and have played several other 'better' flutes lately and thought that man was very comparable to them, although there was a certain Olwell back in July I tried that had the 'nyaa' to it. Man, I'd say if you can get a used Ormiston for around $700 or so, that's not bad as long as it's been well cared for. Super craftmanship, and it's been right up there in volume in several sessions so far (mine's the short D foot) and the tone is great too.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think their prices are low because they're not as well known as, say, Hamilton or Olwell flutes. Ormistrons are excellent flutes, nevertheless.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I came this close to buying a keyless Ormiston about five years ago when I was over in Scotland. They're definitely very good flutes. Perhaps not surprisingly, nearly all the young (i.e. under-25) flute players I met over in Scotland were playing Ormistons. They were selling for 300 pounds new back then.

Damn...
john

Post by john »

i've an ormiston unkeyed for sale, but it's an older model from the mid 90s (not much played) and isn't as loud as newer models
glauber

Post by glauber »

Didn't David Migoya use to sell them (Ormiston unkeyed) new for some low price too, i'm not sure if US $400 or $600?

I found his Web site, for the current prices:
http://www.ormistonflutes.fsnet.co.uk/

Some of the Ormistons i've seen have large squarish blowholes, that are very nice to play and loud. Others have more traditional round blowholes. So i guess there's some variation in design.
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

There's a keyless Ormiston selling here:
http://www.firescribble.net/flute/forsale.html#endbuy
--Wellsprings--
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I have a 4-keyed Ormiston (squarish blowhole, short D foot) that I would trust with my life. I think I ordered it through Hobgoblin? It's unfortunately at present taking a back seat to my new love, the dreaded Hamilton -- but I aim to keep "the big O" around indefinitely. ;-) It's loud, an easy player, wonderfully in tune across all registers, even has small finger holes for those in need of such .... I think George has hit on a brilliant series of solutions for many levels of players, and wholeheartedly agree that Ormistons are way underappreciated.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
BillG

Post by BillG »

glauber wrote:There's a keyless Ormiston selling here:
http://www.firescribble.net/flute/forsale.html#endbuy
Question is how often does Brad check out the old listings and remove them. This one was up 23FEB2003 - about a year ago.

I'm an Ormiston owner also and concur that he is grossly under valuated. His craftmanship is superb - many are but his is a bit finer and especially for the price. I play it frequently but still alternate among four flutes, depending on what mood I'm in -- I gues, for lack of a better reason. I guess I can't make up my minc whic one I prefer so I play them all periodically. In the old days there were only eight cereals to choose from in the store, too. BUT I like today better.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
glauber

Post by glauber »

BillG wrote:
glauber wrote:Question is how often does Brad check out the old listings and remove them. This one was up 23FEB2003 - about a year ago.
Good catch. I think he relies on people telling him that the flute is sold, to remove the ad. I've had flutes advertised for over a year before i finally ebayed them out of their misery. :)
--Wellsprings--
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

pandscarr wrote:There's one for sale on ebay right now - ending on 18 February. (I haven't actually looked at the ad - I saw it advertised on an ebay alert I'd set up). It was up to £275 which is a great price...
It only got 2 bids and went for £285 - I guess someone got a bargain, and it wasn't poor Borderpiper who had the first bid in - nae luck!
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

Oops :oops: the dreaded double-post.
Last edited by BMFW on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

glauber wrote:Didn't David Migoya use to sell them (Ormiston unkeyed) new for some low price too, i'm not sure if US $400 or $600?

I found his Web site, for the current prices:
http://www.ormistonflutes.fsnet.co.uk/

Some of the Ormistons i've seen have large squarish blowholes, that are very nice to play and loud. Others have more traditional round blowholes. So i guess there's some variation in design.
No; David sold the flutes of a maker whose name I've forgotten. Good flutes, apparently, but due to personal reasons I've also forgotten (we were drinking when David told me the story...) the maker flaked on him and disappeared.
Ormiston's are sold (or were) through Lark; perhaps that's what you were thinking.
I've never played one myself (an Ormiston) -- I've heard everything from complimentary to devastating reviews. I'd love to try one, myself, to make my own call. I don't know about his keyless flutes, but the keywork on his keyed flutes is lovely.
Gordon