Pipes and Piano?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
joey_schu
antispam: No

Pipes and Piano?

Post by joey_schu »

Hey, so I'm taking this composition class, and we just got an assignment to compose a piano/some other instrument duet. The first step, however, is to bring in a recorded example of those two instruments together. Since I of course would like to write for piano and uilleann pipes :D , does anyone have any leads on recordings out there of just a piano and the pipes?

I'm striking out, and I'm always surprised what questions like these might dig up here...

Cheers,
Joey
travhicks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Pipes and Piano

Post by travhicks »

Wheels of World Vol.2, Tom Ennis on uilleann pipes, playing The Wexford Reel, with piano backup. You be the judge of the success of combining piano and pipes. There may be a similar cut on WOW Vol. 1, but I don't have it in front of me right now. You might want to check out the previous threads on equal vs. just intonation, too.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Heard a story recently of Felix Doran playing in the backroom of a Manchester pub, loads of his extended family being there. In walks an Englishman who sits down at the piano in the corner and joins in. After one tune one of the lads gets up and smashes the lid of the keyboard in midtune saying 'that will do', breaking all your man's fingers while at it.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

ouch... good thing i'm writing for pipes and harp...much safer if people don't like it...

guess you could wind up poking an eye with scissors as someone cuts the strings... :boggle:
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Just a chanter with piano sounds fine; the problems arise when you bring in drones and regs.

I can think of a few recordings of chanter with piano, most notably on "Leitrim's Hidden Treasure" by the McNamara family. Two chanters going with fiddle, flute, and concertina, with piano backup on quite a few of the tunes.

A few other chanter-piano things come to mind, but none of them traditional, I'm afraid. Eric Rigler plays a bit with Kate Rusby on piano on her rendition of "Annan Waters" on her first solo CD ("Hourglass"), but it's just a short musical break, not an entire tune. Eric Rigler also played u-pipes with Paul Machlis on piano with Alasdair Fraser's band, Skyedance, some of those tunes are modern compositions.
Alex Bush

Post by Alex Bush »

There´s also a nice bit of piano on Callan Bridge by Niall and Cillian Valley played by their brother Caoimhin.

One of the more tasteful piano backings I´ve heard.

There´s a piano at a session I play in and it really can kill the feel of a good set when played all oompah like.

Alex
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

If your defintion of "piano" can be extended to related keyboard instruments, you could also consider the first Bothy Band album, which had pipes (and fiddle and flute) with harpsichord.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Those are all good examples, better than the Tom Ennis record, he was warming up with that tune I think! The regs go more than a bit sharp, and it was recorded in 1929, too. He sounds much better on other tunes from that session.
There were a fair share of 78s of piping with piano recorded back then. Most of the American pipers. Go to http://tedmcgraw.com/recimages/fset2.html and cue up the recording of Danny O'Donnell to hear the wackiest piano player ever, too.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

bradhurley wrote: the first Bothy Band album.... with harpsichord.
Get with the funk, Brad! Triona was electro-jammin' on a Clavinet. Very superstitious!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Not on the first Bothy Band album, she wasn't. She played an actual harpichord; the clavinet didn't appear until the second BB album. She also played harpsichord on her solo album "Triona."
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Sorry dude. My booty was swept away by the Mothership with that funky sound. I'm cool now.
djm

Post by djm »

Continuing from BradHurley's suggestion of using other keyboard timbres, are you allowed to use other keyboard tunings? I'm thinking there might be some possibilities in employing some of the older keyboard tunings that were only semi-equal, but not the just system used today, like the Werkmeister III system that is believed to have been used by J.S.Bach. The wider you are allowed to translate the parameters of your assignment, the more possibilities for coming up with something new and unique, and that may even sound good. :D

djm
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Chadd wrote:
bradhurley wrote: the first Bothy Band album.... with harpsichord.
Get with the funk, Brad! Triona was electro-jammin' on a Clavinet. Very superstitious!
Mmmm...Psychedelic and Funkadelic and everything is just jumpin' outta sight.

Can you imagine Bernie Worrell playing with Paddy Keenan? Now that just might very well burn down the house...

Eoin O Riabhaigh's last solo album had some piano on a couple of tracks.
There's plenty of recordings of pipes and synthesizers, but it's best to avoid those like the plague.
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

Conservatives -- put your armour on.

Most of my piping is done with a piano, guitar (standard tuning) and a fiddle. The piano adds a lot of rhythm, progression and charisma to the music that is otherwise absent. As it is an electric piano, it can be tuned to the pipes and turned down so as to avoid drowning the drones. Songs that are far more powerful with a piano:
- Brian Boru's March
- Neil Gow's Lament
- The Kesh Set
- Lament of Limerick

Nothing worse than 10 instruments playing the melody and not a single instrument playing support (such as a guitar or piano); almost akin to taking Nytol. This is against the conservative music circle practice.

On the friend of Doran's who smashed the piano player's hands -- what an idiotic meathead. It's likely a fable anyways.

Virgil
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Hey, Joey, how's things in England? Send me an email.

Actually, I am not too unnerved by synthesizer soundings to go along with pipes... theoretically. I've only heard Celtic Orbis, and doesn't AfroCelt employ the use of synthesized sounds?

So, Joey, does piano mean strictly piano, or keyboards, like synthesizer, in which case using sounds that may not sound like an ordinary piano... without, horror of horrors, sounding like new age!

That's just me, though, as I happen to really like dark, mysterious sounds, synthesized structures and ghostly meanderings... gothic, you know.... and at my age, jeez!